Menu

Too much Greek mythology?

psychmom

My dd7 used to draw lovely pictures of unicorns, fairies, and ponies. Now she draws child-eating dragons! I'm not really worried about this, but just curious if this is a typical phase for kids raised in a mythology-rich environment?

In one of her pictures, a dragon is making child-stew. Fortunately, the children band together and make "explosion pills" which they trick the dragon into eating. In the attached picture, you can actually see a child going down the dragon's esophagus...eek!:tongue_smilie:

post-36624-13535086394129_thumb.jpg

When my son was small(er), he wrote and drew something similar. A little boy was chased and eaten by a monster (he wound up inside the stomach, next to the most adorable skeleton of a previous victim), then escaped and had further adventures.

In my experience, the majority of children enjoy fairly macabre and scary things, within limits. I wouldn't worry about it. Note that in the picture, the monster-slaying children are smiling happily as their friend goes down the gullet.

Glad to know I'm not the only one...and I wasn't really worried, exactly, just curious whether it was typical, especially for kids exposed to lots and lots of mythology. Oddly enough, my dd can't handle watching even slightly scary movies, but she loves the scary stories!

I had a similar experience when Sweetie was 7, only everything she drew, every story she told, etc. seemed to have a dungeon. She would have described a lovely, pastel-and-white castle with fairies and flowers all over it, and a dungeon. Or she would draw her beautiful castle including where all the beds are located in each room (color coordinated, of course), and here is the dungeon with its chains.

Good fun! She doesn't do that as much anymore. Dungeons do come up, but they are occasionally remodeled into extra bedrooms.

:)

I find this very normal, natural behavior. Current thought in child development does not, so, this is probably another good reason to homeschool. At least until "expert opinion" changes again.

For a really fascinating read on the subject, check out Bruno Bettleheim's Uses of Enchantment. It's a semi-Freudian interpretation of what children need/get from the horribly frightening traditional fairy tales. Or Jane Yolen's Touch Magic for a shorter, more contemporary take on the subject.