Menu

We are really enjoying the Critical Thinking in US History

LisaNY

My dd and I are really enjoying the lessons/discussions in this guide. We are using Book 2 - New Republic to Civil War. I am pleased that my dd is actually finding it fun.

I like how it helps a student to evaluate historical data and then make reasonable judgements.

This is a great series! :001_smile:

There are 4 books in the series. (You can do two books per year.)

Book 1 - Colonies to Constitution

Book 2 - New Republic to Civil War

Book 3 - Reconstruction to Progressivism

Book 4 - Spanish-American War to Vietnam War

This series can be used to supplement your history studies. You will need the Instructor and Student Guide.

Students are challenged to think critically about major events in US history.

Here is a sampling of the issues they will cover in Book 2:

How did early industrialization change small New England villages?

Was Andrew Jackson a representative of the common people?

What do visual sources show about slavery?

What do historians assume about the causes of war?

What were the causes of the Civil War?

Hope that helps! :001_smile:

The first unit of each book begins with a series of exercises that teach critical thinking skills. After learning these skills, the student then applies them in the subsequent units in the text. These skills can be taught as you need them. You do not have to teach them all at once.

For example, in Unit 4 of Book 2 - New Republic to Civil War, the student works on assessing the reliabilty of sources, analyzing cause and effect, identifying & evaluating types of reasoning, and identifying & evaluating proof & debate reasoning. The student then practices these skills by doing a series of worksheets/activities on the following: (a few samples)

Which side caused the firing on Fort Sumter?

What were the causes of the Civil War?

What led to the Emancipation Proclamation and England's neutrality in the Civil War?

Does that help?

Lisa thanks this does help.

For anyone else interested in these, I found another neat review of these books here: http://www.abasiccurriculum.com/reviews/ctush.html

So, about how long does it take to go through a book?

I will be doing Am History with my 7th & 8th graders next year. I was considering using Sonlight core 100 so that we'll get the events of history plus related literature all worked out for us into daily assignments. I just don't know if we'll have time for supplements... and yet I'm finding supplements that I'd love to include. (I'm referring to these as well as Drive Thru American History). ug. For logic we will be doing Thinking Toolbox and my oldest might be doing a Debate class so that slot is kinda full also.

Lisa thanks this does help.

So, about how long does it take to go through a book?

In TWTM, it suggests two books per year. I think it is doable. The lessons themselves don't take that long. I have trouble fitting in the "extras" as well, but I am not finding it a problem fitting these in our schedule. Each lesson takes us about 20-30min. to complete. I prepare each week by making the copies of the worksheets, and perusing the lessons briefly to get an idea of what we'll be covering. We do the lessons 3-4 days each week. We are just starting out with this, so this is just my experience so far. But, the fact that we have been able to do it consistently tells me that if *I* can do it, then others can do it, too. :001_smile:

Are you using something else, too, for American History? The link provided suggested doing this along with another course.

We, too, plan to use A History of US with Sonlight guide.

Our older dd could handle it all, but dd12 hasn't really reached that critical thinking stage yet, I don't think......... Or maybe she'll be one who never really will...

Well it looks like this would need something to teach or review the big picture around the historical events.

I'm looking at using SL core 100 which I think takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per day. My 8th grader's days are getting long. I need to work to keep them down to 7 hrs per day! Since SL schedules a full 36 weeks, I don't think we'll have extra weeks to just stop SL and do this instead. Perhaps I can find one day in the week that will be shorter and fit it in there? We may not be doing all the papers from SL (since we have CW Homer to do) so that might give us some time. I'm also scheduling some time for Teaching Toolbox, perhaps I will be able to switch TT with this curriculum as we get to the right topics. hmm, I also wonder if I have too much overlap? [perhaps a separate post for this one, so I can get more SL users opinions]

So each lesson takes about 20-30min a shot. I may be able to fit that in once a week but I don't think we can fit it in 3-4 days per week. Lisa, how many lessons there are per book? I've looked online but I can't find that info.

:bigear:

Are you using something else, too, for American History? The link provided suggested doing this along with another course.

We, too, plan to use A History of US with Sonlight guide.

Our older dd could handle it all, but dd12 hasn't really reached that critical thinking stage yet, I don't think......... Or maybe she'll be one who never really will...

I am not sure if you were asking this question of me, but I'll answer just in case...

I use WTM for our history studies, and the Critical Thinking series is a supplement.

Well it looks like this would need something to teach or review the big picture around the historical events.

So each lesson takes about 20-30min a shot. I may be able to fit that in once a week but I don't think we can fit it in 3-4 days per week. Lisa, how many lessons there are per book? I've looked online but I can't find that info.

There are 27 lessons in Books 2 & 3. I would assume it is the same for the others. Since I am using these books as a supplement to what we are currently studying in history, I don't have to teach the big picture around the historical events.

May I ask where you purchased the books?

I looked at Rainbow Resource. They listed books 2 - 4, but not book 1.

?!?! Perhaps I made an error?

thanks.

I bought the TM through CBD, and the student text, used, from someone on the WTM for sale forums.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at using SL core 100 which I think takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per day. My 8th grader's days are getting long. I need to work to keep them down to 7 hrs per day! Since SL schedules a full 36 weeks, I don't think we'll have extra weeks to just stop SL and do this instead. Perhaps I can find one day in the week that will be shorter and fit it in there? We may not be doing all the papers from SL (since we have CW Homer to do) so that might give us some time. I'm also scheduling some time for Teaching Toolbox, perhaps I will be able to switch TT with this curriculum as we get to the right topics. hmm, I also wonder if I have too much overlap? [perhaps a separate post for this one, so I can get more SL users opinions]

Kathie,

I used the combo of Core 100 & Critical Thinking in US History (all 4 books) a few years back, but my son did this over 2 years (8th & 9th grades). He did 2 - 3 days of SL history per week and did Critical Thinking 2 days per week. I also had to supplement the literature in 9th grade, and I used a Lightning Lit pack for that to make sure his 9th grade lit course was beefy enough for high school because I didn't think that half of Core 100 lit was enough for a full year of high school.

We both really liked Critical Thinking in US History. My favorite thing about it was that it often used original sources to show that historical issues were very controversial. They would have short pieces on both sides of an issue (e.g. who fired the first shot at Lexington & Concord?). After you'd read the first short piece, you were very convinced that the British fired first. Then you'd read the second piece, and you'd be very sure the Americans fired first. My son and I spent a lot of time discussing how important it is with historical writings to know the background/leanings of the author, and how easy it is for an author to distort the truth.

I think it's easy to read about historical happenings and just take for granted the view of the author. I also think it's easy to not really think about how contentious historical issues were and that there were people on both sides, as there are today.

My son did not do every assignment in the Critical Thinking Series, but probably about 2/3 of them. Some of the lessons are repetitive, and some are best done in a classroom. The TM gives some suggestions on which lessons to skip if you need to omit some.

I have a schedule that coordinates History of the US and Critical Thinking in US History. If you'd like a copy, send me a PM with your email addy.

HTH,

Brenda

Do they build on each other?

(I bought Book 2 and the TE at the last conference, and it seems pretty self-contained; but will DD miss a lot if I don't start with Book 1?)

because each book has the introductory exercises in it. But if you use more than 1 book, you don't need to repeat the introductory material each time.

HTH,

Brenda