Menu

American Girls Doll question

For those of you who bought your DD's american girl dolls used / second hand - where is the best place to get one without spending an arm and a leg? Is there a trick to finding one used?

DD wants Molly {but would be happy with ANY of the historical dolls} for her Birthday in September, but $100+ for a doll is WAY out of my reach. I've been watching the thrift shops and craigslist locally but nothing.

Ebay? I've found a few on there that went (factoring in shipping) in the $60-75 range. Some for even less.

I agree, I would post on Craigslist as a wanted ad. That would be much faster than waiting on one to appear, and someone might see it and have one they'd be happy to give up but just hadn't thought of doing so.

Ebay? I've found a few on there that went (factoring in shipping) in the $60-75 range. Some for even less.

I agree, I would post on Craigslist as a wanted ad. That would be much faster than waiting on one to appear, and someone might see it and have one they'd be happy to give up but just hadn't thought of doing so.

I'll do ebay if I have to, but I avoid ebay like the plague as I don't agree with their business practices.

Really hoping to find one in the $20-$40 range if I can.

I bought my Molly (I wanted her for me-but I also wanted a 2nd doll so that when DD has a friend over who doesn't have one, they can play together) on Ebay without the original outfit for about $50, in great shape. I bought a cute little school outfit for her from an Etsy seller.

When DD and I went to the American Girl store/restaurant with our dolls, my Molly got a lot of comments-it turned out that I'd ended up buying the pre Mattel, Pleasant Company Molly :). So not only did I manage to buy Molly, but I managed to get the Molly that I was too old for by the time the AG dolls became common, but would have LOVED to have had. :).

A friend has purchased most of hers from ebay.

We bought one on Craigslist. Dd loves her, but I've regretted the purchase. She is a Pleasant Company Felicity. Her hair looked good when we bought her, but it quickly became apparent that her hair was very thin. It looks awful. I just don't know how we all missed the defect. Dd is getting a new AG doll for her next birthday because she really wants to do all of the fun hairstyles. Her Felicity only looks good when her bald spots are covered. :001_huh:

eBay is always slower in the summer so you are more likely to get good deals. Summer is a good time to look for used items. On ebay I doubt you are likely to get one in the $40 range, although I suppose it is possible. For that cheap your best bets are where you are already looking, Craigslist and thrift stores. You could try posting a wanted ad here or on Craigslist.

I ebayed one of the very old ones with utterly mangled hair. I think it was about $30? The pre-mattel dolls are better quality. Then I got her home, cleaned her up, and re-wigged her. I ripped off the A-G hair and glued a new wig on.

In my case it was because I wanted one with hair that looked like my daughter's, but it would be easy to do with any doll. Molly-style hair is widely available.