Menu

Where do I want to eat in Times Square

I'm making my first every trip to NY next week and looking for suggestions on where to eat. One night will be adults only and the nicer the place the better. I'm a big fan of seafood but I can usually find a fish entree anywhere we go so it doesn't have to be just a seafood place.

The other free night we are going to a show and have a 6 and 8 year old boy with us so I'm looking for good options for an early dinner that is nice but okay for kids.

I'm making my first every trip to NY next week and looking for suggestions on where to eat. One night will be adults only and the nicer the place the better. I'm a big fan of seafood but I can usually find a fish entree anywhere we go so it doesn't have to be just a seafood place.

The other free night we are going to a show and have a 6 and 8 year old boy with us so I'm looking for good options for an early dinner that is nice but okay for kids.

Check out Yelp or Zagat instead.

If you want to have a fabulous meal, love fish, and are okay with a bit of sticker shock, go to Le Bernadin. I would definitely do some research and avoid Times Square itself; you have the opportunity to have a once in a lifetime great meal, so I would go for something special. Gramercy Tavern, Spotted Pig, Esca, or Eleven Madison Park are all really good.

If you want to have a fabulous meal, love fish, and are okay with a bit of sticker shock, go to Le Bernadin. I would definitely do some research and avoid Times Square itself; you have the opportunity to have a once in a lifetime great meal, so I would go for something special. Gramercy Tavern, Spotted Pig, Esca, or Eleven Madison Park are all really good.

Thanks. I was going to look at yelp and zagat too but I always worry that some of those reviews aren't authentic. I like hearing from someone who has been there and isn't totally anonymous. I don't think restaurants monitor homeschool boards to pump their ratings.:lol:

We are attending a business conference and the hotel arrangements were made for us. We are staying in Times Square but won't have to eat there.

Let me know how it goes. Every few years I go and visit friends from college in NY. I usually do a bunch of research at all the places I want to eat. I have had a couple meals that I still dream about. If a place is tough to get into, I usually try and eat lunch or get in for an early dinner at 5 or 6. Have a really wonderful trip.

Let me know how it goes. Every few years I go and visit friends from college in NY. I usually do a bunch of research at all the places I want to eat. I have had a couple meals that I still dream about. If a place is tough to get into, I usually try and eat lunch or get in for an early dinner at 5 or 6. Have a really wonderful trip.

Thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only one who makes meals a big priority when traveling. My dh thinks I'm crazy but it's one of my favorite parts of traveling. He always enjoys it once we get there but he says I spend way more time thinking about food than he does:lol:

Times Square is the toughest place in NYC to navigate to get a good meal. If you can, jump in a cab, take the subway or walk to another part of town! Flor del Sol down in Tribeca is always reliable. It's a small place with paella, good looking waiters and champagne sangria by the pitcher. Usually you can get a reservation the same week.

Lots of other good choices around town too.

If you must stay closer to Times Square and are really keen on some seafood, you could try the Red Eye Grill, which is in Mid-town, a bit above Times Square but walkable for sure. You can probably get reservations there too pretty easily. Waiters are professional and friendly there as well.

Edited by nono
missed adding link

For adults: If you don't mind sticker shock we love http://www.ilmulino.com/about.html. For slightly fewer $$ we also enjoy the sister restaurant http://ilgigliorestaurant.com/. Anothere favorite is http://www.gramercytavern.com/. We really enjoy their tasting menus.

We like Brazillian Barbecue when the kids are with us. http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

We like Brazillian Barbecue when the kids are with us. http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

Of for goodness sakes, yes, add that to your consideration! I worked across the street from it for almost 10 years... :o The brain is going!

I'll be the lone dissenter about Gramercy for dinner. I never felt I got the bang for the buck there at dinner. I think it's the atmosphere of the dining room. It came off to me cold and stark (well, in fairness I haven't been there in quite a few years, so it may not be any longer). But for me the super-premium price has to deliver ambiance in large quantity along with great food and service, and that part fell short for me. Therefore, I always went away from dinner feeling a bit ripped off. Now I didn't eat there constantly, so take that FWIW. I'm certain I only ever had 3 dinners there. That being said, at lunch, I really liked it! I would still go there for lunch in a heartbeat. The same dining room in the daylight has a totally different feel for me. If you look at Gramercy Tavern's overall rating on zagat or tripadvisor, you'll see I'm clearly in the minority on this. ;)

Have fun deciding!!!

I'm not sure about a nice restaurant, I haven't been to NYC without the kids in over 10 years. With the kids, we really like Junior's. It's really close to the theatres, really quick and has great desserts.

Thanks. We might check it out. I'm always a fan of great desserts.