Menu

help with aas, level one, step two :/

joysworld

We started AAS with my 5 1/2 yo two weeks ago. She's doing really well learning the different sounds for the letters, and is progressing nicely. She can tell me the first sound of a word, but she is not grasping the last sound of a word. If I say /c/ /a/ /t/, she can tell me the last sound, but if I say /cat/ she can't. So, I've been working with her telling her three different words and having her tell me the last word. I wanted to make sure she was grasping what I was asking for. If I keep going over this same concept, she's just going to get frustrated. Any suggestions?

Is she a fluent reader? Can she segment all the sounds with the tokens?

Yep, I would do segmenting with the tokens on each sound. I also took the idea from phonic pathways and made consonants and vowels one a train car and the littlest liked putting the trains together to make words. That helped him smush the sounds together into the word and then break them apart into each sound.

There are lots of different ways you could practice CVC words without the constant repetition of the tokens. Letter stamps, tap lights, letter stickers, letter magnets, reading rods, spin n spells, salt/sand writing, etc. We started fairly early with AAS and my DD initially had difficulty with the final letter sound. She understood the concept of "last" and "final" but she couldnt quite understand how to figure out the final sounds. She could tell me how many letter sounds she heard and identify the initial sound, but something about the final sound really stumped her. We just found lots of ways to practice spelling CVC words. I would also model it using the moveable alphabet. I'd specifically say, "The first sound I hear is...the second sound I hear is....and the last sound I hear is...." as I was spelling the word. That seemed to help her construct the words and then be able to identify first, second, and last sounds.

We had this same situation. My 5yo just couldn't guess that final sound. So I made her activities where she had to decide the last sound of a word by picking from a small number of letters. So if she had to know the final sound of "hat" I would have "HA" and then she would choose from different letters. After a while of doing this she got it.

but this brought flashbacks to me about my 8yrs old dd who when at age 5yrs was asked what letter sound does the word "cat" begin with she would say "Meow" or for Zipper she made a zipping sounds. It took her a long time to understand what "a word" was.

She is still a strange one.