Menu

Tapestry of Grace Users

tuzor

If I were going to purchase this curriculum tell me what I should purchase.

Is it better to go with the DE or paper version?

What extras do you purchase writing aids quizes, etc.

If you have very small children ages 3-5 do they have any activities that are suitable for that age range.

If I were to purchase all units and all books how much planning would there be?

Thanks.

This is really a personal thing. Do you mind reading everything from your computer screen, or do you need paper in hand. For me, I have really been glad that I got BOTH for this first year, but next year am considering getting only the DE because now I know how it works. I can see where having only the DE would have frustrated me at first.

We tried WA, but didn't like it as our core writing program. We use WWE, and so I have dropped WA. It depends on if you plan to use it as your writing program. Map Aids are great. With the ages of your kids that would be the only extra that you would need, imo.

If you have very small children ages 3-5 do they have any activities that are suitable for that age range.

Not specifically for that age group, but you could always adapt them. The 5yo could benefit from the LG activities.

That depends on how many children you are preparing for. I would say about an hour per level, once you get the hang of it. There is a bit of a learning curve at first. Make sure you allow yourself some extra time at the beginning.

Thanks.

hth

Can I piggyback a question about what to order? In the samples, it shows the student activity pages, but when you go through the ordering process (even when choosing paper and not DE), it asks if you want to purchase paper student pages. So, you don't automatically get them? How do you get them then?

Is it better to go with the DE or paper version? I prefer DE.

What extras do you purchase writing aids quizes, etc. Map Aids is very helpful. I like WA as a reference book but prefer WWE overall. I don't buy anything else.

If you have very small children ages 3-5 do they have any activities that are suitable for that age range. They could tag along, but most are going to be for older kids.

If I were to purchase all units and all books how much planning would there be? I think this could vary widely. I have learned the hard way that I cannot use TOG if I have to spend more than 15 min planning per week. I will spend several (6?) hours before the year starts. On a weekly basis, I look ahead to get library books for upcoming weeks, put reading assignments into dd's planner, and possibly print out a map or worksheet. I am very minimalist in my use of TOG.

Thanks.

Can I piggyback a question about what to order? In the samples, it shows the student activity pages, but when you go through the ordering process (even when choosing paper and not DE), it asks if you want to purchase paper student pages. So, you don't automatically get them? How do you get them then?

THe student pages are offered separately for parents who don't want to have to print/copy these at home. They are part of the package.

I think purchasing the student pages is a matter of convenience. You are free to print/photocopy what you need for your family. Some choose to have that work already done. Since I have a LG student, I've only copied the literature pages of the SAPs and occasionally the geography assignment if it happens to be long.

Thanks.

I went with the paper version because I hate reading off the computer. I have Writing Aids, but since I'm not currently using TOG's writing element, I'm not using it. I would definitely get Map Aids. I've found Pop Quiz to be a nice audio overview of the week, and as such, I've used it at times to prepare myself. The lapbooks are nice if you're into that sort of thing. We did the lapbooks last year, but this year we switched to notebooking instead.

If you go with all the books, then the planning would involve choosing which days of the week you want to read, do the geography assignment, do a project, etc. There are several options usually listed for activities, and you are free to pick any or none of them.

I think purchasing the student pages is a matter of convenience. You are free to print/photocopy what you need for your family. Some choose to have that work already done. Since I have a LG student, I've only copied the literature pages of the SAPs and occasionally the geography assignment if it happens to be long.

But, where are you copying them from if you have the print version? On the samples, they're included, paginated, in the middle of the teacher materials. Are they not that way if you buy the print version? I'm assuming they're on the Loom CD then?

If you have the print version you can copy from the pages in it. If you have the print / DE version, you can print directly from the pages in the DE.

Okay, so they ARE printed already in the print version. You would just need to have an extra copy if you wanted to keep that one clean?

Okay, so they ARE printed already in the print version. You would just need to have an extra copy if you wanted to keep that one clean?

Yes, maybe you have two students in the same level or kids coming up through the ranks that will use those pages next round.

Okay, I got it now! Thank you so much!

The activity pages are also on your loom CD that comes with your print version. So you can either print directly from there, or if you have a copier, you can just copy the pages from the teacher's book.

After one year of using the paper/de version, I have made the decision that next year we will be getting a new laptop (need one anyway) and purchasing only de. I will print out the main pages that we work from then read the teachers notes on the computer. I was about to purchase the paper version for next year and sat there staring at my massive binders and realized that I don't want to have to shelve 16 of those enormous binders somewhere in this house. I also realized that if I purchase de for the next 3 years worth, it will save $405, which is less than what I will need to buy a new laptop! :) That is not even adding in the cost of the tabs: $12.00 per year, the notebooks: $36 per year, or the page protectors, which I DO recommend (ask me why): about $40-$50 per year (so we're talking an extra $100 per year just to put them in binders properly).

My suggestion is to buy the curriculum in paper/de form one unit at a time. When you feel you have a good handle on how the curriculum works, make an evaluation and decide if you could handle working straight off of a computer. I think you'll know.

yes. you could just photocopy it...I'm thinking you're referring to the Activity pages. Maps and quizzes and things are not in the paper edition. If you buy that I think you have to buy the digital download or a disc.

What do you mean, "every chapter connected to Christ?" Every unit and lesson brings up questions related to faith. There is a Christian history thread. The title sort of implies its intent--to demonstrate the working of God's grace throughout man's history. Not every lesson is about Jesus, per se.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

yes. you could just photocopy it...I'm thinking you're referring to the Activity pages. Maps and quizzes and things are not in the paper edition. If you buy that I think you have to buy the digital download or a disc.

What do you mean, "every chapter connected to Christ?" Every unit and lesson brings up questions related to faith. There is a Christian history thread. The title sort of implies its intent--to demonstrate the working of God's grace throughout man's history. Not every lesson is about Jesus, per se.

Thanks, I am trying to compare TOG to STOW. STOW list information and you add your own religious belief. I am not clear to what extent Christ is intertwined into each chapter. Also I have a question about scope and sequence. Can anyone tell me more about the scope and sequence for year two.

Also I see there is an online portion for classess. Do any of you use that or have you joined a co-op with other families that are in the same year. This is such a tough decision. I love the guide. It seems great. The scope and sequence does not appear to cover as much as STOW but I am not sure I could only see scope and sequence from the Rhetoric stage.

If you purchase the hardcopy version of TOG, it is highly resalable and so you wouldn't want to write in it. In addition to the SAPs, there are also literature worksheets for students in most week plans that you will need to print out or make copies of. I've been using only the hardcopy versions of TOG for the past three years because I like to have pages to turn, etc. If I were to go back and purchase again, I think I would do the same, but purchase the packets of Student Activity Pages (SAPs) for the convenience rather than printing out and making copies as I have been doing.

Be sure to purchase MapAids. You won't regret it! Also, my dd loved the lapbooks when she was in UG level. If your dc like hands-on activities that tie to the lessons, they would like them. I have bought the preprinted kits and appreciated them a lot. The paper is pretty, bright colors and dd even used the scraps to decorate her lapbook beyond the basics.

Another comment related to writing (mostly dialectic level): I have found that TOG and TWTM way of teaching can easily be combined. I always keep my eye on the TOG writing assignments even though we use WWS as our main writing instruction. I often use TOG's ideas for additional writing assignments that will tie into our history studies, very much like TWTM way of writing. A person could also incorporate outlining history reading with TOG. You could also use the SAP questions to dovetail into writing for the week. And as someone else said, WA is a very nice reference manual for any writing projects. Although it works in combination with the TOG curriculum, it can also stand alone as a very good resource.

I highly recommend TOG for any size family. I even used it with my only! I love learning along with her, and TOG is great for that. For families with more than one child, obtaining the books and using them for all the children over time may be an expense initially, but in the long run is a very reasonably priced curriculum when you consider the family library that you build. Some people prefer using the local library for books that are used less than a couple of weeks, but that would be a personal choice.

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you purchase a used copy of the classical version will the helps on the website still be benenificial. What is the better choice?

I've never used the classical version, but I'd assume that if help isn't found on the website that customer service would have what you need. I'd recommend that you buy the updated version instead. Even with that, be sure to double check the book choices because once in awhile the lists online have some variance with what an earlier printed version has in the lessons due to books going out of print. I haven't had any serious problems with it as long as I double check my list with the online list before buying the books needed. (I have been buying mostly by the unit to save money.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I started with DE to get a feel for TOG, then decided to get the print when they had it on sale. Boy, is it different for me holding the pages in hand and going through it. I must just be wired that way. :)

We now use DE plus print because I need the paper in hand. DE because I am confident in using TOG in the future and the updates, and ability to print rather than make copies make it worthwhile for me. We use the MapAids, the Pop Quiz CD's for my DH, and we do the lapbooks but not for every unit.

I'm not sure that there is any support for the classic version beyond the forums, you'd have to call customer service and ask.

Have you found places to purchase books cheaper than the sister site. Wow, once I start purchasing for more than one level ouch.

Here is a comment I left on Marcia's blog last year in response to an article about homeschooling through hard times. It explains my method of buying books in a way that I have been able to afford.

This is our second year of using TOG, and I have to say that it has been life changing for both my daughter and I. I am so thankful that the Lord led us to this wonderful way of learning! My family is not at all wealthy, but educating our daughter is a top priority. It is necessary for me to stay within budget every year, and I’ve developed a method to be able to do that very successfully.We are in a rural area and the only libraries require us to pay fees to use them, and not all books on the TOG lists are available anyway. For this reason I prefer to obtain our own books. I look for bargains and have my eyes open all during the year. I buy used copies, new ones, nearly free from paperback swap sites, etc. all year long. As I gather them up for future use, I just keep my Year Plan and Unit lists updated. I watch for sales at Bookshelf Central and other sites, using standard shipping methods that are usually quite reasonable. Whatever I don’t have when we are about to start a new unit, I will finally buy from Amazon with my Prime membership and have them within two days of ordering.Please note that in order to save the most money I spread it out over a period of months rather than all at once. Then after we are finished with our books I keep what we want for the family library, then resell the ones we no longer need. All money from the sale of books goes back into the homeschool curriculum budget to buy more books.I feel that TOG is worth the cost because it is an excellent education for my child, and for that reason I am willing to sacrifice. All in all, the cost of the books are far less expensive than private school...

Please note that families with more children than I'm schooling have the up front expense of buying the books, but the good news is that you build a good library that will be used by all of the students. When you consider this over a period of time, it makes the cost of TOG very reasonable.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Here is a comment I left on Marcia's blog last year in response to an article about homeschooling through hard times. It explains my method of buying books in a way that I have been able to afford.

This is our second year of using TOG, and I have to say that it has been life changing for both my daughter and I. I am so thankful that the Lord led us to this wonderful way of learning! My family is not at all wealthy, but educating our daughter is a top priority. It is necessary for me to stay within budget every year, and I’ve developed a method to be able to do that very successfully.We are in a rural area and the only libraries require us to pay fees to use them, and not all books on the TOG lists are available anyway. For this reason I prefer to obtain our own books. I look for bargains and have my eyes open all during the year. I buy used copies, new ones, nearly free from paperback swap sites, etc. all year long. As I gather them up for future use, I just keep my Year Plan and Unit lists updated. I watch for sales at Bookshelf Central and other sites, using standard shipping methods that are usually quite reasonable. Whatever I don’t have when we are about to start a new unit, I will finally buy from Amazon with my Prime membership and have them within two days of ordering.Please note that in order to save the most money I spread it out over a period of months rather than all at once. Then after we are finished with our books I keep what we want for the family library, then resell the ones we no longer need. All money from the sale of books goes back into the homeschool curriculum budget to buy more books.I feel that TOG is worth the cost because it is an excellent education for my child, and for that reason I am willing to sacrifice. All in all, the cost of the books are far less expensive than private school...

Please note that families with more children than I'm schooling have the up front expense of buying the books, but the good news is that you build a good library that will be used by all of the students. When you consider this over a period of time, it makes the cost of TOG very reasonable.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks, I will have to look into Amazon prime. So do you order your curriculum unit by unit or just your books. I will have to do some serious serching these next few months to see how I can save money.

Thanks, I will have to look into Amazon prime. So do you order your curriculum unit by unit or just your books. I will have to do some serious serching these next few months to see how I can save money.

Actually, I have purchased the full year program in hard copy, including MapAids. Then I have worked on purchasing the core books that will be used all through the year. Then I keep a running list of the resource books and buy them unit by unit.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I started with DE to get a feel for TOG, then decided to get the print when they had it on sale. Boy, is it different for me holding the pages in hand and going through it. I must just be wired that way. :)

We now use DE plus print because I need the paper in hand. DE because I am confident in using TOG in the future and the updates, and ability to print rather than make copies make it worthwhile for me. We use the MapAids, the Pop Quiz CD's for my DH, and we do the lapbooks but not for every unit.

I'm not sure that there is any support for the classic version beyond the forums, you'd have to call customer service and ask.

I want the paper and online version as well. I just can't afford both. I wonder how often do they have sells on the paper versions. I would love to have the paper copy for my records and then the online for the updates. Perhaps I may find a reasonably priced used one.

Actually, I have purchased the full year program in hard copy, including MapAids. Then I have worked on purchasing the core books that will be used all through the year. Then I keep a running list of the resource books and buy them unit by unit.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda

It does help. I am about to take the plunge and purchase a unit. As much as I would love to purchase the complete year I am going to purchase one unit start looking for resources and see what I have and see if I like it. That way if it is not for me I have not spent so much.

How long does it take you to complete a year. If your child is very interested in a particular topic and you take a rabbit trail and then come back. Do you find it takes longer than 36 weeks to complete a year?

Some families choose to go at a slower rate. After a couple of units were under my belt, I made that choice too. We sometimes take two weeks to cover one week's worth of lesson plans - especially if it's a heavier week of reading or we're interested in staying longer. You are in charge and have that option. It won't ruin anything really -- especially if you don't take three months off in the summer. We've ended up doing two year plans in three years, an average of three units per school year. Really, it's fine. You just move on when you're ready.

Blessings,

Lucinda

][/i]Thanks' date=' I am trying to compare TOG to STOW. STOW list information and you add your own religious belief. I am not clear to what extent Christ is intertwined into each chapter.

The perspective of the TOG curriculum is that God has directed and used all of human history toward His purposes. You will find the overall themes of the Bible, such as the outworking of God's grace, tied in with the teacher's notes. The Christian faith is also addressed as it ties in with historical periods. You can comment and/or adjust these things as you wish, but it is interwoven with the curriculum notes.

Also I have a question about scope and sequence. Can anyone tell me more about the scope and sequence for year two.

You can find the scope and sequence on the Tapestry of Grace website under Year 2. There is an extensive chart listing the themes of every unit. I think you can also see a list of the week's titles for the year. If you have trouble finding this, you can call TOG customer support.

Also I see there is an online portion for classes. Do any of you use that or have you joined a co-op with other families that are in the same year. This is such a tough decision.....

I do not belong to a co-op, and I started using TOG with a student who was already in the dialectic stage (7th grade) and two younger children. I felt the need for some support and accountability in teaching for my oldest son, so I signed him up for an online dialectic history course through the Lampstand Learning Center. It was excellent & the teacher was wonderful! She led great discussions with the 8 - 10 students in the class. My only cautionary comment is that having a child enrolled in an online class requires you to keep up with the speed of the class in your own studies at home. I find that there is so much material each week that it would be nice to be able to slow down occasionally, but I needed to keep going at a fierce pace to keep my son on schedule with his online class.

If I recall correctly from your signature, it appears that your oldest child is 7, so it would be quite a few years until you could consider an online class anyway. They are not offered for children below 11 years old (beginning of the dialectic age group). You could start now with using the curriculum at the speed you like, and get used to it; maybe you wouldn't feel the need for online courses.

The scope and sequence does not appear to cover as much as STOW but I am not sure I could only see scope and sequence from the Rhetoric stage.

I think you will find that it is very comprehensive. I can't imagine wanting more material, or in more detail, than what is presented in TOG.

I love the guide. It seems great.

I have learned so much through the process of teaching my kids with TOG Years 1 and 2. I needed to learn with them, since my own education was so deeply lacking for these time periods. The guide gives much more information than I can digest most weeks. My understanding of history has greatly expanded from our studies these last two years. I have to trust that I'll keep learning as we go through the material in other years. I think TOG is best for parents who want to develop their own understanding of history, and also, to be able to discuss it intelligently with their children. There may be other great curricula out there, but this one has provided amazing content, structure and encouragement for me.

][/i]Thanks' date=' I am trying to compare TOG to STOW. STOW list information and you add your own religious belief. I am not clear to what extent Christ is intertwined into each chapter.

The perspective of the TOG curriculum is that God has directed and used all of human history toward His purposes. You will find the overall themes of the Bible, such as the outworking of God's grace, tied in with the teacher's notes. The Christian faith is also addressed as it ties in with historical periods. You can comment and/or adjust these things as you wish, but it is interwoven with the curriculum notes.

Also I have a question about scope and sequence. Can anyone tell me more about the scope and sequence for year two.

You can find the scope and sequence on the Tapestry of Grace website under Year 2. There is an extensive chart listing the themes of every unit. I think you can also see a list of the week's titles for the year. If you have trouble finding this, you can call TOG customer support.

Also I see there is an online portion for classes. Do any of you use that or have you joined a co-op with other families that are in the same year. This is such a tough decision.....

I do not belong to a co-op, and I started using TOG with a student who was already in the dialectic stage (7th grade) and two younger children. I felt the need for some support and accountability in teaching for my oldest son, so I signed him up for an online dialectic history course through the Lampstand Learning Center. It was excellent & the teacher was wonderful! She led great discussions with the 8 - 10 students in the class. My only cautionary comment is that having a child enrolled in an online class requires you to keep up with the speed of the class in your own studies at home. I find that there is so much material each week that it would be nice to be able to slow down occasionally, but I needed to keep going at a fierce pace to keep my son on schedule with his online class.

If I recall correctly from your signature, it appears that your oldest child is 7, so it would be quite a few years until you could consider an online class anyway. They are not offered for children below 11 years old (beginning of the dialectic age group). You could start now with using the curriculum at the speed you like, and get used to it; maybe you wouldn't feel the need for online courses.

The scope and sequence does not appear to cover as much as STOW but I am not sure I could only see scope and sequence from the Rhetoric stage.

I think you will find that it is very comprehensive. I can't imagine wanting more material, or in more detail, than what is presented in TOG.

I love the guide. It seems great.

I have learned so much through the process of teaching my kids with TOG Years 1 and 2. I needed to learn with them, since my own education was so deeply lacking for these time periods. The guide gives much more information than I can digest most weeks. My understanding of history has greatly expanded from our studies these last two years. I have to trust that I'll keep learning as we go through the material in other years. I think TOG is best for parents who want to develop their own understanding of history, and also, to be able to discuss it intelligently with their children. There may be other great curricula out there, but this one has provided amazing content, structure and encouragement for me.

Thank you very much for your insight. Your last comment really resonates with me. I feel that my own education was focused mostly on American History. When I decided to hs I jumped on the opportunity to teach history chronologically. This year has been fun and eye opening for me. Truthfully, I have to remind myself we will go more indepth later. I have the tendency to want to do everything right now. :lol: Well I will be calling TOG later in the day and then hopefully purchasing a unit to get familiar with it.

So I took the plundge and purchaed the first unit of yr 2 DE version. I am overwhelmed even after all my research. So once I have some time to really sit and dig into the information I will.

I am happy for you! I think you'll really enjoy it. You can private-message me for encouragement. We did Year 2 this year, so it's still fairly fresh in my mind. I'd be glad to help if I can.

P.S. It might be overwhelming trying to get your head around it at first, but you are starting with your kids at a great age - you have plenty of time to get yourself up to speed, and nothing you will do (or not do) with them in the first year will ruin your kids. You have LOTS of time to go into depth later. Keep it light and simple for them and yourself. Don't forget that kids in public school generally don't start studying history much (besides a mention of George Washington or Martin Luther King, Jr.) until they're at least in 4th grade. You will be doing plenty for your kids even if you only used the LG level the first year!!

Blessings to you!

Start out lite! Your littles are little. :)

Thanks, I remember reading your post months ago about how you use TOG for your family. It was very encouraging. I was not thinking about purchasing it then. But I was inspired. As far as taking it lite. I am only looking at the LG sections. One of the things that I really love about it is the perspective that the guide is a buffet. I can pick and choose what I want and dont want. I love that.

I am happy for you! I think you'll really enjoy it. You can private-message me for encouragement. We did Year 2 this year, so it's still fairly fresh in my mind. I'd be glad to help if I can.

P.S. It might be overwhelming trying to get your head around it at first, but you are starting with your kids at a great age - you have plenty of time to get yourself up to speed, and nothing you will do (or not do) with them in the first year will ruin your kids. You have LOTS of time to go into depth later. Keep it light and simple for them and yourself. Don't forget that kids in public school generally don't start studying history much (besides a mention of George Washington or Martin Luther King, Jr.) until they're at least in 4th grade. You will be doing plenty for your kids even if you only used the LG level the first year!!

Blessings to you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I may have to take you up on your offer. I will say perhaps I should have purchased the paper version. The online version is great. There are lots of videos that help me on their site but my screen on my computer is not that large so I feel like I am missing something on the page. If that makes sense. I don't want to scroll down. (Whats up with that? I don't know, just my random craziness.)

How long does it take you to complete a year. If your child is very interested in a particular topic and you take a rabbit trail and then come back. Do you find it takes longer than 36 weeks to complete a year?

I have stayed "on track" by going quickly through some weeks after going deeper in others. I haven't done this because I fell the need to be on some schedule, it has just worked out this way. I would feel free to take as much time as you want. I always remind myself that I won't have as much liberty when they are in high school. Follow rabbit trails and have fun!:001_smile:

So I took the plundge and purchaed the first unit of yr 2 DE version. I am overwhelmed even after all my research. So once I have some time to really sit and dig into the information I will.

First thing, go through and print out pages 4-7 from each week. (I store these in a binder for easy reference) These will give you basically all essential info for the week. Once you are comfortable with these, everything else will fall into place. HTH

First thing, go through and print out pages 4-7 from each week. (I store these in a binder for easy reference) These will give you basically all essential info for the week. Once you are comfortable with these, everything else will fall into place. HTH

Will do thanks.