Menu

Would love to see your list of Medieval/Renn. Lit for 10th grade

I'm trying to come up with a list of books for my dd to study next year. We will attempt to cover the Middle Ages through the Rennaissance. I'm not sure whether or not to plan one book per month or more. I'd be interested how others have done this. I'm still considering Omnibus II, but I haven't made up my mind yet. It seems that every time I buy a particular curriculum then it doesn't get used because it doesn't fit my needs. I like worldview questions for studying literature, but I also like literary analysis too. Thanks for letting me take a peek into your lists.

Blessings,

Jan P.

Well - here is my 99% sure list for my 10th and 12th graders for next year.

Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Piers the Plowman, Canterbury Tales (several) and some poetry and a play - using Lightning Lit

On the Incarnation

Confessions - St. Augustine

Koran (a few selections)

Morte D'Arthur (1 section)

The Prince

Utopia

Dr. Faustus

Richard III

Romeo and Juliet

Merchant of Venice

Sonnets

Then I have some non-fiction and text books - some they will reading completely and some they will be referring to as the year goes on.

Spielvogel Western Civ.

Timetables of History

Church History in Plain Language (Shelley)

The Medieval World (Cantor) and Renaissance and Reformation (Elton) - these have a nice selection of primary source readings

Teaching Co. Western Civ dvds (the second half - we watched the first half this year)

Life in Medieval Times (Rowling)

The Renaissance (Johnson)

The Reformation (Nichols)

Martin Luther (Nichols)

Chosen by God (Sproul)

I have a rough schedule ready and I think that I won't be adding/subtracting any more books. I need to be done, kwim?

ETA: I have Invitation to the Classics which will be helpful with some of the books that LL does not cover. And my girls always find Sparknotes helpful.

HTH.

Here's how we did it; we read the following (BTW, I need to give credit to Janie on these boards, who should have an honorary degree in Medieval and Renaissance lit.!):

1. The Church History - Eusebius; very, very good--fascinating early church history.

2. The Confessions of St. Augustine - trans. by Rex Warner (according to Janie, a more accurate translation). My girls didn't like this as well, although it was still a good read.

3. On the Incarnation of Our Lord - St. Athanasius; not to be missed, esp. with C.S. Lewis' intro.

4. The Creeds - very brief, but also excellent church history; they covered the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Definition of Chalcedon.

5. The Ecclesiastical History of the English People - Bede; we didn't do this one, but in retrospect I wish we had. Bede was a very good medieval historian, respected even today.

6. The Rule of St. Benedict

7. Beowulf - trans. by Seamus Heaney; you can also watch a section of Beowulf performed in Old English, but I can't seem to find the website now. I recommend skipping the recent movie---poorly done, and not very accurate.

8. The Song of Roland

9. The History of the Kings of Britain - Entertaining; right about this time my middle daughter did a research paper for Cindy Marsch on King Arthur. The stuff of legends!

10. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Good for analysis of alliterative verse.

11. Macbeth - One of our favorites.

12. The Divine Comedy: Inferno - Also not to be missed; but again, my girls didn't like it as well because they thought Dante spent too much time sending his enemies here.

13. The Canterbury Tales - The favorite read of my oldest; some of these tales are hilarious.

14. A Midsummer Night's Dream - Pretty good, but I didn't enjoy the discussion in the Omnibus book as well.

15. Henry V

16. Richard III

17. Here I Am: A Life of Martin Luther - Roland Bainton. We substituted this for The Bondage of the Will. I wanted to give them a fuller picture of the life of Luther, instead of a more heavily theological work.

All in all, it was a very successful year. We did many evaluations, wrote much more, and I think they retained much more than they did the previous year. Overall, I enjoyed most of the discussions in the Omnibus II book; I felt like it had a little more literary analysis than Omnibus I (or, maybe it's because we did more??? :) . Even though we're not Presbyterians, I think there's plenty of room for lively discussion in the materials.

HTH!

Then I have some non-fiction and text books - some they will reading completely and some they will be referring to as the year goes on.

Spielvogel Western Civ.

Timetables of History

Church History in Plain Language (Shelley)

The Medieval World (Cantor) and Renaissance and Reformation (Elton) - these have a nice selection of primary source readings

Teaching Co. Western Civ dvds (the second half - we watched the first half this year)

Life in Medieval Times (Rowling)

The Renaissance (Johnson)

The Reformation (Nichols)

Martin Luther (Nichols)

Chosen by God (Sproul)

HTH.

Thanks for the nonfiction list. I'll have to see if my library carries any of them. How will you use the Lightening Lit. series? Are you spreading out the Middle Ages one for a year to intersperse your other readings?

Thanks,

Jan

Thanks Jane,

I love seeing how people tweak their curriculum. I've copied and pasted your post. Hopefully I will soon come to some decisions about choices of books. I have a homeschool convention to go to soon, so hopefully I can browse through some of these, especially the Bede book.

Blessings,

Everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to type up your lists. I've copied and pasted everything! Hopefully this will get my brain juices flowing for planning out my dd's reading list for next year. Again I am much appreciative!

Blessings,

Let me see if I can explain my plan. We are using all of LL straight for 18weeks but reading a few books before we start and then a few after - trying to keep things in vaguely chronological order.

The thing is, I treat History and English as separate subjects. My girls might be reading and answering questions in Spielvogel as well as watching and taking notes on a Teaching Co. DVD (for History) while reading Confessions (for English) during the same week. Or reading The Prince (for History) and writing about Piers Plowman (for English). Make sense?

If you like, I could e-mail you the rough schedule I made so you can see what I mean.

This is what my son read this year in 10th grade, he is a very good and willing reader, but reads slowly. These are the things I assigned for literature. He read other books that he chose and also read some that I assigned for science.

selections from The Church History (Maier's Eusebius)

Confessions (Augustine)

On the Incarnation (Athanasius) Don't miss C. S. Lewis' intro!

The Creeds --

The Rule of St. Benedict read online;

Beowulf Heaney's translation;

Song of Roland children’s version

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

The Divine Comedy (Inferno) We used Pinsky's translation.

The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer) I read the version on the Baldwin site to all of the children

Hamlet

Much Ado About Nothing

Taming of the Shrew

Empires Lost and Won by Marrin

He had already read several children's versions about King Arthur and Robin Hood so we didn't spend time on those this year.

Our List

Martyr of the Catacombs

Church History, Eusebius

Ecclesiastical History of the English People, Bede+

Confessions, Augustine

Song of Roland

Beowulf

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Once and Future King, T.H. White

Canterbury Tales (Selections), Chaucer

In Freedom’s Cause, G.A. Henty

The NineTailors, Dorothy Sayers

Inferno, Dante

Parcel of Patterns, Jill Paten Walsh

World Religions 101, Bruce Bikel

This year (Sr semester) we are adding in 4 Shakespeare plays, also.

“A Gest of Robin Hode,†Stephen Knight and Thomas H. Ohlgren, editors (Michigan: Medieval Institute Publications)

“The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd,†Sir Walter Raleigh

“The Pasisonate Shepherd to His Love,†Christopher Marlowe

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Mark Twain

A Man for All Seasons, Robert Bolt (Vintage)

Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green (Puffin Classics)

Anna of Byzantium, Tracy Barrett (Dell)

Anne of the Thousand Days, Maxwell Anderson (Dramatists Play Service)

Arabian Nights, Volume I (selections), Richard Burton and Jack Zipes, translators (Signet Classic)

Beowulf , John McNamara, translator (Barnes & Noble Classics)

Canterbury Tales(selections), Geoffrey Chaucer (Bantam Classics)

Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee (selections), Robert H. van Gulik, translator (Dover)

Daughter of Time, Josephine Tey (Collier)

Don Quixote (abridged), Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra/Walter Starkie, translator (Signet Classics)

Henry V, William Shakespeare (Folger Shakespeare Library)

History of the Kings of Britain (excerpts), Geoffrey of Monmouth/Aaron Thompson, translator (In Parentheses Publications)

King Lear, William Shakespeare (Folger Shakespeare Library)

Le Morte D’Arthur (selections), Thomas Malory

Mabinogion (selections), Charlotte E. Guest, translator (Dover)

Merry Wives of Windsor, William Shakespeare (Folger Shakespeare Library)

Nine Days a Queen, Anne Rinaldi (Harper Collins)

Richard III, William Shakespeare (Folger Shakespeare Library)

Second Booke of the Historie of England, (excerpts), Raphael Holinshed

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Burton Raffel, translator (Signet Classic)

Tale of Genji (excerpts), Lady Shikibu Murasaki/Arthur Waley, translator (Dover)

The Koran: Selected Suras, Arthur Jeffrey, translator (Dover)

The Lion in Winter, James Goldman (Dell)