Menu

Any HIPPA experts here?

I find this law very confusing and ran into a frustrating circumstance today. My 21 yo dd is a college student in another state. She called today sick, with probably a sinus infection and/or strep. The school clinic is closed. I called our insurance company to find out how to go about getting her a referral to an "After Hours Clinic" so it would be covered under our insurance. The first person I talked to told me she could help me and told me the nearest clinic dd could go to and told me to call back after finding out if the clinic was open and she would give a referral. I called the insurance company back with the info and of course got another person. This second person said that dd had to call her regular clinic (here at home)at their "after hours number" to get the referral. I asked what the phone number was. The rep told me she couldn't tell me my dd would have to call for the number. I told her it would save time if I could just give dd the phone number so dd wouldn't have to go though the insurance phone system (holding, etc.). She told me because of HIPPA she couldn't tell me, that the number was in my dd's record. I said would she please pull up MY record and tell me the "after hours" number since it's the same clinic. No dice. Why would a PHONE NUMBER be private under HIPPA? I obviously knew what clinic it was because we were talking about it and it's my clinic too.

Do any medical folks here know?

Thanks,

Mary

It's possible she could get in trouble for opening your ddd's file when it's not your dd calling, but there should be no reason she couldn't get the number out of your file. It's possible she was just warned for something similar and is gun shy-HIPPA has gotten way out of hand. A friend of mine is an ER nurse and she got written up for asking a fellow nurese how a pediatric patient she cared for was doing.

The only private thing would be the name of the clinic that has treated her. I would google the clinic's name and get their after hours number. Or you could call again, hopefully get another person, ask them to open your file and give you the clinic's number.

The stupid thing is our whole family goes to the same clinic. I KNOW what clinic she goes to, the problem is the "after hours" number isn't public (it's a military clinic) The woman on the phone knew that I was aware of the clinic but wouldn't give me the number. This is one of those cases where common sense goes out the window.

We've talked about dd completing a form to allow the insurance to speak to me about her. Just haven't gotten around to it. Guess what we'll do over spring break:001_smile:

Mary

Many places interpret HIPPA wayyyyy more strictly that it is worded.

In this case, I actually understand why they won't do it. SHe is over 18 and you do not have the legal right to know which doctor she is going to. They have no idea if your story is legit or not. In their defense, you could just be a wackadoodle mom, who is trying to find medical information about your daughter. In pharmacy, we have to be careful to not disclose information about birth control to parents for teenage girls, even if the parent is bringing in prescriptions for an antibiotic for the same teenager.

Even if you have the same information in your chart...that doesn't give them the right to confirm/deny her information to you.

Just Google the info or call the doctors phone number; it is usually on the voicemail.

Sorry, but I agree with the insurance co on this one.

The stupid thing is our whole family goes to the same clinic. I KNOW what clinic she goes to, the problem is the "after hours" number isn't public (it's a military clinic) The woman on the phone knew that I was aware of the clinic but wouldn't give me the number. This is one of those cases where common sense goes out the window.

We've talked about dd completing a form to allow the insurance to speak to me about her. Just haven't gotten around to it. Guess what we'll do over spring break:001_smile:

Mary

If this is the case, then just call back and ask for it for yourself, not her. Or if you don't mind violating a few laws, call back and tell them you are her, to get everything done quicker.

If this is the case, then just call back and ask for it for yourself, not her. Or if you don't mind violating a few laws, call back and tell them you are her, to get everything done quicker.

I would do this, call back and for the number for yourself. HIPPA is a pain in the tukus, and no one really seems to know where to draw the line. I cannot even get the records for my underaged kids from one clinic, because it is their personal information only to be shared between their doc and them. We no longer go there for anything. Frustrating! They claim it is a HIPPA thing.

I don't understand why you were not given a phone number for a clinic, if you were asking for a phone number and not asking for the specific clinic your daughter went to (which would be a HIPAA violation). Maybe the person who answered felt like, by giving you the number you asked for, she would be confirming that your daughter attended that clinic (also a HIPAA violation).

In general, I suspect you cannot secure a referral for your adult daughter, even though it's easier and really nice of you to do that for her.

Just as an added note, you should be able to get the phone number to a military after hours clinic by calling information at the nearest military hospital.