Menu

BSGFAA-what do you NEED?

PRTGSw2K

My kids are about your kiddos' ages and I emailed BSGFAA and asked what level to get and what I needed for a year. Here's the reply I received:

I would recommend starting with the Beginner level. You would need 208 Student Page lessons if you are doing it 4 times per week, 12 months a year ($5.95 x 8). You would also need the Beginner Time Line ($24.95). That total come to $72.55. If you wanted the Children's Songs CD set add $19.95.

Hope that helps!

Brian Baker

Bible Study Guide for all Ages

800-530-7995

ETA: I asked for what I'd need for 3-4x a week. So it sounds like Student pages + bible cards/timeline, CD optional and Teacher Guide not necessary.

I was wondering the same thing, thanks for asking the question :)

I see on the student pages preview that they frequently reference the timeline and the CD. Do you feel like your kids get enough out of the lesson without these extras?

And, the teacher's guide really isn't necessary? ... the student pages are self explanatory?

If so, I'll go ahead and get two sets of student pages. That takes my total down from near $100 to under $20. BIG difference in cost :) Now I just need to find a place with free shipping!

And, the teacher's guide really isn't necessary? ... the student pages are self explanatory?

Maybe someone who uses it can confirm. I can't say beyond what they replied in the above email. I decided to hold off on the program until both my kids were readers and just go straight to the Intermediate program... :blush:

Yes, the student pages are self-explanatory. The intermediate pages have a timeline on them. I'm not bothering with a timeline for my beginner student (he really wouldn't understand it anyway - he has no sense of time, like an hour from now vs. 5 minutes from now).

There have been a couple mentions of the Bible cards, and we just ignored them. There is other memory work included, so we did that instead. Not a big deal. We've only done 8 lessons so far, but we haven't felt like we were missing anything. The student pages have review questions, memory work, etc. on them. For example, each lesson, we've been told to sing the 12 Sons of Jacob song. I don't have the CD, but most of the songs are similar to ones we sing in our Bible classes, and I have multiple CDs with those songs on them, so I didn't get that. My friend got the CD, and she said the quality was awful - they couldn't even listen to it. So I'll just stick with the ones I have that are better quality. My friend said the educational songs on there are the same ones on our other CDs (she has the same CDs I do).

My friend got the timeline, the CD, possibly the cards? AND... she's reorganizing them so they'll be in chronological order. :lol: I'm just using the sheets as is, and my kids and I are enjoying it. It's good practice for DS2, who needs a LOT of repetition for this stuff (It wasn't until lesson 7 that he was finally able to say "Joseph" when asking who Jacob's favorite son was... the same question was in every lesson, and we spent 2 days on each of the lessons! :banghead: :D)

I will probably eventually get the Bible cards, but for now, I am keeping it simple.

If you have students in two different levels (say Beginner and Advanced) then do the Student Pages work together? Can my children study the Bible together but using Student Pages at their learning level?

:001_smile:

I'd like to know the same thing :lurk5:

I want something for Bible that I can do with both boys. Their age difference makes it a bit hard. BSGFAA is the only thing I've found so far.

:bigear:

We are using it this year for dd6 (first grade) and ds4 (pre-k). We used the beginner pages for both and am really glad I did, we have really enjoyed it.

We purchased:

Teacher Manual (do not need. I like having it simply for the games/drills. But, definitely not necessary).

Student Pages (Need! one set per student)

Beginner timeline cards (These are referenced on the beginner pages, and we really like them. Not necessary, but I think they are a great part of the beginner program)

CD (not necessary, but I LOVE the songs that are used in the memory work. The 12 tribes, 12 apostles, the Judges, etc) I do not think these lists would have been so easily memorized without the songs.

Bible Summary Cards (we like them, but certainly not necessary).

All you *need* is the student pages, but if you can some of the other items, like the beginner timeline and CD would certainly add to the program.

We LOVE BSGFAA! :D

If you have students in two different levels (say Beginner and Advanced) then do the Student Pages work together? Can my children study the Bible together but using Student Pages at their learning level?

:001_smile:

Yes. The exact same Bible passage is studied by all students, then they do worksheets on their own level. The Beginner worksheets will have no writing, but coloring, circling, cross out, etc.

The Intermediate pages will have some writing added in to the above.

The Advanced pages will have some of the above plus writing out entire verses or looking up other verses in the Bible to connect with what you learned.

I'd like to know the same thing :lurk5:

I want something for Bible that I can do with both boys. Their age difference makes it a bit hard. BSGFAA is the only thing I've found so far.

:bigear:

I call BSGFAA the TOG of Bible study. I use it with kids from age 4 to age 12 at church with no problems.

Yes. The exact same Bible passage is studied by all students, then they do worksheets on their own level. The Beginner worksheets will have no writing, but coloring, circling, cross out, etc.

The Intermediate pages will have some writing added in to the above.

The Advanced pages will have some of the above plus writing out entire verses or looking up other verses in the Bible to connect with what you learned.

I call BSGFAA the TOG of Bible study. I use it with kids from age 4 to age 12 at church with no problems.

AWESOME Chelli. Describing it as the TOG of Bible Study really helps :D.

In your experience, are the age/grade designations on the website appropriate?

The teacher's guides are not necessary, but they do add more review questions, have a page per lesson of line drawings (not like the student pages... less detailed) that the students are supposed to copy to make their own booklet about each person studied, and have the drills mentioned already.

Just wanted to mention this for anyone who might need / want these other study tools.

BSGFAA is an excellent program with or without the teacher's guides.

AWESOME Chelli. Describing it as the TOG of Bible Study really helps :D.

In your experience, are the age/grade designations on the website appropriate?

The beginner pages are great for Pre-K to grade 1 (By the end of grade 1 my dd could have started using the intermediate pages, but I still recommend the beginner pages for grade 1.)

The intermediate pages fit nicely with grades 2-4.

The advanced pages with grades 5 and up. (I say "and up" because you could easily make this into a Bible study for the entire family using the extra verses, etc. in the TM. However, I would not use the TM unless you are using the program with Jr. High and above. The extras in the TM are not necessary for below that age, IMO.)

HTH.

We're using two levels together, and it works well for us. I read the passage, review their memory work, then DS1 works on his page himself while listening in to me working with DS2 and DS3 on the beginner page (I just got one and let them share, or sometimes I give the 2 year old his own already-used page from another lesson).

My writing phobic 7 year old loves the intermediate pages - not too much writing.

Thank you for all of the information!!

I'm excited about getting this. I see that cbd.com has the student pages but I don't see the time lines or the CD which is too bad since I think I have a code for free shipping.

You might want to check on this; I think the BSGFAA that CBD has is their older/classic version? You can see the difference between their current edition on their website; I think I remember CBD's looked like the older one...

The teacher's guides are not necessary, but they do add more review questions, have a page per lesson of line drawings (not like the student pages... less detailed) that the students are supposed to copy to make their own booklet about each person studied, and have the drills mentioned already.
Is memory work/drills not listed on the student pages at all? That is a big part of what I wanted from this program. :)

You might want to check on this; I think the BSGFAA that CBD has is their older/classic version? You can see the difference between their current edition on their website; I think I remember CBD's looked like the older one...

Thank you. Yes, it does look different.

I went to BibleStudyGuide.com to place an order directly for one set of student cards priced at $5.95 and the shipping was $12.08 :ohmy: Is there anywhere else to order these? I may order more things later but I just wanted to try out one set of student pages to see what they are like.

I went to BibleStudyGuide.com to place an order directly for one set of student cards priced at $5.95 and the shipping was $12.08 :ohmy: Is there anywhere else to order these? I may order more things later but I just wanted to try out one set of student pages to see what they are like.

Laura, try Rainbow Resource. I've been looking there since I've got other things to order and I can get free shipping. RR looks to have the same thing BSGFAA has at their website. BSGFAA has always been high on shipping in my opinion.

HTH!

I got them from my local Christian book store, so you might try calling around to see if any of yours carry them (mine is not a chain store).

Otherwise, RR is where I would order online (along with ordering other items for the year ;) ).

Is memory work/drills not listed on the student pages at all? That is a big part of what I wanted from this program. :)

Memory work IS in the student pages. For example, in the first week, we were to go over the books of the NT and the 12 sons of Jacob daily. Actually, I think they just had us doing a certain number of NT books, but we just sang the whole song since 2 of the 3 kids know it already. :)

Those that have used the Advanced pages would you say they are beneath a 13 year old 7th/8th grader? I'm not sure if I should get the TM, Beginner pages for my 5 almost 6 year old, and Timeline stuff OR just get Beginner and Advanced pages for both boys without the TM.

Decisions, decisions :tongue_smilie: Not to mention how much money if I do the Timeline. I feel like I need the Timeline for the little guy since his pages don't have that on it. If I get Advanced pages for the older he has it on his.

Any opinions?

Memory work IS in the student pages. For example, in the first week, we were to go over the books of the NT and the 12 sons of Jacob daily. Actually, I think they just had us doing a certain number of NT books, but we just sang the whole song since 2 of the 3 kids know it already. :)

Thanks!

Glad to hear that there are other place (RR, possible local Christian stores) that carry this set. I would've never thought to look in these places and BSGFAA does have high shipping on their site!:blink:

Laura, try Rainbow Resource. I've been looking there since I've got other things to order and I can get free shipping. RR looks to have the same thing BSGFAA has at their website. BSGFAA has always been high on shipping in my opinion.

HTH!

Thanks, Paige! I found it on RR and I'm probably going to order from them. Although I'm a bit concerned because I've read that RR takes a long time for shipping... I hope that's not the case because their shipping is much more reasonable at only $3.75 (I do see they have free shipping for $150 but I'm not placing that big of an order right now). Anyway, I emailed the BSGFAA company directly to find out if the shipping quote of $12.08 for student pages was correct. I'll wait to hear from them before I proceed.

Thanks, Paige! I found it on RR and I'm probably going to order from them. Although I'm a bit concerned because I've read that RR takes a long time for shipping... I hope that's not the case because their shipping is much more reasonable at only $3.75 (I do see they have free shipping for $150 but I'm not placing that big of an order right now). Anyway, I emailed the BSGFAA company directly to find out if the shipping quote of $12.08 for student pages was correct. I'll wait to hear from them before I proceed.

I've never had a problem with their shipping time or any of my orders. There is a thread here about RR that has very positive reviews of RR's shipping and CS you might want to read.

I'm actually waffling now about ordering it :001_huh: I've got Bible with MFW K for the youngest one and I've got several things I can use for the older too that are top notch. I was just REALLY wanting to get us all together for Bible every day......:banghead:

Those that have used the Advanced pages would you say they are beneath a 13 year old 7th/8th grader? I'm not sure if I should get the TM, Beginner pages for my 5 almost 6 year old, and Timeline stuff OR just get Beginner and Advanced pages for both boys without the TM.

Decisions, decisions :tongue_smilie: Not to mention how much money if I do the Timeline. I feel like I need the Timeline for the little guy since his pages don't have that on it. If I get Advanced pages for the older he has it on his.

Any opinions?

I don't think the Advanced pages would be beneath those ages. I would just get the Beginner pages and Advanced pages. The timeline is a pretty good size, so instead of buying it, I just made a timeline/map binder to use with BSGFAA.

I didn't even bother doing the timeline/map part until my dd moved to the Intermediate pages this year. They just don't have a good enough understanding of time/geography before that to make it useful, IMO. At least my kid didn't!

I agree that you really only need the student pages. I bought the TM and looked it over in the beginning, but have rarely looked at it since then. For lesson planning I just note what page we're on and what the story/scripture reference is. (I often read from the Children's Story Bible as a supplement.) I love the built in review work.

I didn't buy the timeline- we're doing Ancient History this year and timelining that, so it seemed too redundant. But I do like that they review timeline on the worksheets. And I love the mapping exercises. I wish they had maps on the Beginner level. I know my younger guy would like to color them.

My kids have enjoyed doing the pages and I love being able to all study the same topic. Although I have to share that the legal size sheets drive me insane. And with 3 kids times 3 sheets a week that's way too many loose papers around that won't fit in folders. I think next batch I buy I will bind them into workbooks ahead of time.

I agree that you really only need the student pages. I bought the TM and looked it over in the beginning, but have rarely looked at it since then. For lesson planning I just note what page we're on and what the story/scripture reference is. (I often read from the Children's Story Bible as a supplement.) I love the built in review work.

I didn't buy the timeline- we're doing Ancient History this year and timelining that, so it seemed too redundant. But I do like that they review timeline on the worksheets. And I love the mapping exercises. I wish they had maps on the Beginner level. I know my younger guy would like to color them.

My kids have enjoyed doing the pages and I love being able to all study the same topic. Although I have to share that the legal size sheets drive me insane. And with 3 kids times 3 sheets a week that's way too many loose papers around that won't fit in folders. I think next batch I buy I will bind them into workbooks ahead of time.

If you bought the TM there should be some blank letter size maps in the map/drill work section.