Menu

Which book on Da Vinci is best?

mazakaal

I'm not familiar with the books you posted, but FWIW, we picked this one up at the library (not for a formal study of da Vinci, but just as an interesting read-aloud):

http://www.amazon.com/Leonardos-Horse-Jean-Fritz/dp/0399235760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330753954&sr=8-1

It may not be everything you're looking for, but I thought it was a nice read with good pictures.

I'm not much help, but ILs gifted ds the third one. It looks really nice, and I like that the materials are included. The book is pretty :) We're going to be doing this over the Summer as a preview of our Renaissance year starting in the Fall.

You ladies are killin' me! :lol: I have one vote for the first, one vote for the third and a whole pile of extra suggestions. I already own a picture book biography of Da Vinci and The Second Mrs. Giaconda. I was considering these three other books to get something that had some hands-on activities. I like the look of the first, but was planning to get a couple of other books from that series, so thought it might be nice to have one of the other books on Da Vinci. The third is pretty expensive, so I was leaning toward the second, but the age recommendation is higher, so I'm not sure if it might be too much for them. I like that the materials are included with the third one. Hmmmmm. I may just need to flip a coin. :D

You ladies are killin' me! :lol: I have one vote for the first, one vote for the third and a whole pile of extra suggestions. I already own a picture book biography of Da Vinci and The Second Mrs. Giaconda. I was considering these three other books to get something that had some hands-on activities. I like the look of the first, but was planning to get a couple of other books from that series, so thought it might be nice to have one of the other books on Da Vinci. The third is pretty expensive, so I was leaning toward the second, but the age recommendation is higher, so I'm not sure if it might be too much for them. I like that the materials are included with the third one. Hmmmmm. I may just need to flip a coin. :D
Just to mess you up even more! I have the second one, and it looks great. I haven't yet tried the activities with my kids yet, though.

Just to mess you up even more! I have the second one, and it looks great. I haven't yet tried the activities with my kids yet, though.

Oh, good. Your kids are close to the same ages as mine. So you don't think it would be over the head of an 8yo and 10yo?

I recommended the first and the second. They're about the same price as the third.

Does your library have any of them? Maybe you could get a hands on look at them.

Oh, good. Your kids are close to the same ages as mine. So you don't think it would be over the head of an 8yo and 10yo?
It says "Age 9 and up" on the back, but I think most eight year old's would understand it. My nine year old has some small motor skill issues, so I don't think I'd hand the book over and just let him have at building the stuff. I think he'd enjoy them, with some help.

I'd almost forgotten I had this book. My sisiter-in-law gave it to me for my birthday two or three years ago, and I put it up until the kids were ready.

We have several from the "For Kids" set and the reading level is above a 3rd grader and amount of text may be daunting to a 5th grader. It's a lot. If you get it, I suggest reading a fiction book with them (like The Second Mrs. Giaconda) and doing just the activities, maybe adding in a unit study from Currclick.

Thanks for all the responses. My library is shockingly small, so it doesn't have any of them. I only want to buy one of the books, so I think I will go for the second. I'll read The Second Mrs. Giaconda and do the activities from the other book. Hopefully it will work out well. Thanks, everyone!