Menu

DIVE Space and Earth science-- anybody used it?

Thank you for posting this. Our state requires 4 science credits for high school, and I don't think dd will want to do physics, so I was wondering what we would use. I did notice in the comments that he said there will be instructions for how to make it more rigorous for a high school credit. I think Earth science would be very beneficial to dd.

Bumping this for you, as I'd love to hear a review as well.

We're a bit behind in science since I switched to BJU life about 2 months ago. I couldn't swing the cost of BJU's DVDs, so we're plowing through it on our own (and doing just fine, but it is time intensive). I'll be upping our child count to 6 in June (*faint*), and I would really really like to push the bulk of science off my plate with Earth and Space!

Bumping this for you, as I'd love to hear a review as well.

We're a bit behind in science since I switched to BJU life about 2 months ago. I couldn't swing the cost of BJU's DVDs, so we're plowing through it on our own (and doing just fine, but it is time intensive). I'll be upping our child count to 6 in June (*faint*), and I would really really like to push the bulk of science off my plate with Earth and Space!

Thank you for the bump! I was thinking about the Wonders of Creation series until I remembered reading about the DIVE program. I would love to hear thoughts of people that are using it. Not sure if its been out long enough for anybody to have completed it though. :confused:

We are in week 12 (I think) and I like it quite a bit. We've used DIVE before (Biology and Chem) but this one is set up differently. You don't need a separate text. My daughter likes it. I had a hard time finding Earth/Science for middle school so I was very glad when this came out.

Heather

We are in week 12 (I think) and I like it quite a bit. We've used DIVE before (Biology and Chem) but this one is set up differently. You don't need a separate text. My daughter likes it. I had a hard time finding Earth/Science for middle school so I was very glad when this came out.

Heather

So do you mind 1,001 questions? (if you don't want questions, stop reading here ;) :lol:) What kinds of books do they recommend for supplements? Is there a list? We live in a VERY VERY rural area and its hard to get books quickly here. Are there internet sites they recommend like in the other DIVE programs? Is it comprehensive and a good, strong middle school course?

So do you mind 1,001 questions? (if you don't want questions, stop reading here ;) :lol:) What kinds of books do they recommend for supplements? Is there a list? We live in a VERY VERY rural area and its hard to get books quickly here. Are there internet sites they recommend like in the other DIVE programs? Is it comprehensive and a good, strong middle school course?

Well I will answer 1,000 questions but 1,001 is asking too much :-).

Everything in this program is self-contained. There are no additional required materials. They provide a book list if you want to but we haven't used anything else. I didn't find out that it was available until the school year had started and my budget was tight this year so I decided not to purchase lab materials. Next year I have to invest in a Physical Science lab kit for this student and a Physics lab kit for my senior so we are just doing the labs virtually this year. If you want info on the lab materials you can do you can check out this link. You'll find a link to a pdf file that says 'Lab supplies and optional materials list'. Near the bottom of that file are the internet links and supplemental books. Like I said, you can use these but unlike the other DIVE programs which expect you to choose a syllabus that includes either a text or internet links, you don't need to do any of this supplemental stuff.

http://drshormann.com/2011/07/20/dive-earth-science-is-here/

The nice thing about DIVE (all of there programs) is if you decide a particular lab is too expensive you still get to see it done on the DVD so while it's not as good as doing it yourself, you still get the experience.

I haven't watched every lesson but I do think it's definitely a strong middle school program.

Heather

Everything in this program is self-contained. There are no additional required materials. They provide a book list if you want to but we haven't used anything else. I didn't find out that it was available until the school year had started and my budget was tight this year so I decided not to purchase lab materials. Next year I have to invest in a Physical Science lab kit for this student and a Physics lab kit for my senior so we are just doing the labs virtually this year. If you want info on the lab materials you can do you can check out this link. You'll find a link to a pdf file that says 'Lab supplies and optional materials list'. Near the bottom of that file are the internet links and supplemental books. Like I said, you can use these but unlike the other DIVE programs which expect you to choose a syllabus that includes either a text or internet links, you don't need to do any of this supplemental stuff.

The nice thing about DIVE (all of there programs) is if you decide a particular lab is too expensive you still get to see it done on the DVD so while it's not as good as doing it yourself, you still get the experience.

I haven't watched every lesson but I do think it's definitely a strong middle school program.

Heather

Is there a way to make this more rigorous for high school credit? Our state requires 4 credits in science, but dd is not mathy or going into a math or science field, so I think she would benefit more in life from an Earth science course than Physics.

Is there a way to make this more rigorous for high school credit? Our state requires 4 credits in science, but dd is not mathy or going into a math or science field, so I think she would benefit more in life from an Earth science course than Physics.

Well I think the info is there but I'd beef up the workload. First I'd certainly get some of the lab materials. You could add some of the recommended supplemental books (or choose some of your own) and have her write some papers on the material. Since traditionally Space/Earth Science is not a high school course maybe you could do some queries on school websites to see if they have a syllabus and compare it to the table of contents on DIVE. I checked our public school's website and they only have the fancy marketing course description but no real list of topics.

Heather

Heather

:svengo: to the bolded :lol:

So then you think there is enough content with JUST the CD for 6th grade? Mind if I pick your brain this summer when you are done? ;) :D