Menu

Foerster Algebra 1.......Which edition? (Or stick with Jacobs?)

My oldest son is currently using Jacob's Geometry and doing well with it. I'm looking for an algebra text for the next son (and those behind him). With my oldest we used MUS and I feel like he didn't get a good, solid foundation in algebra. Thus, he is still struggling with algebraic concepts and applications. I'd like a text I can use as a review for him (before moving onto Alg.2) and also for the next son to get a good, solid algebra foundation from the get-go.

I have the Jacob's Elementary Algebra book here on hand (just received it the other day) and have heard many accolades for Foerster's. I'd like to see the Foerster algebra text "in person" to make a better, informed decision about which to use, but I'm confused as to the different edition of Foerster's.

Any suggestions as to which edition/year of Foerster's Algebra is best to go with? (That way if I get one to review and like it I can stick with that particular edition.)

Open to your expert advice :)

Guest dbl_fla

We are using the "Prentice-Hall Classics" 2006 version. ISBN = 9780201861006. You can find it new for around $40 on Amazon. However, that is essentially a reprint of the 3rd edition, published in 1994. So any version published after that should be basically the same.

We also are using the Math Without Borders DVD lessons, which are working out very well for us.

Sue----Do you have both the TM and the Solutions Manual? Does the TM contain all the answers to the problems?

Jean---Did you choose Jacobs for a particular reason? Had you considered other Alg. programs and found Jacob's more to your liking/preference, or did you know "off the bat" that Jacob's was the one you wanted? Also, is there a supplement/reference that gives the answers to the problems? I know a few answers are in the back of the textbook, but what about the rest?

Sue----Do you have both the TM and the Solutions Manual? Does the TM contain all the answers to the problems?

I had both the TM and SM. The TM contains the answers to the problems and gives suggested daily lessons and homework assignments. It's not really necessary, but I like to have my own textbook to look at with answers. The solutions manual has each problem worked out fully, thus is more useful for many. I have a degree in math and didn't need the solutions manual that much, but I like all the help I can get.

Is the Solutions Manual the one you have to purchase from the company? (Unless another homeschooler is selling their copy.)

Yes, the solutions manual is hard to find used.

I also have a degree in math and haven't needed the SM. Once in a while the solutions manual would have saved me time. It is those times when I look over his work and can't see his error and have to work it myself to find it. But at the Alg 1 level it doesn't take long to work it. If you come across a cheap SM grab it, otherwise you could save your money for SM at higher math levels. I'm glad I had everything for Precalculus.

I also have a degree in math and haven't needed the SM. Once in a while the solutions manual would have saved me time. It is those times when I look over his work and can't see his error and have to work it myself to find it. But at the Alg 1 level it doesn't take long to work it. If you come across a cheap SM grab it, otherwise you could save your money for SM at higher math levels. I'm glad I had everything for Precalculus.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. As long as I have answers for Alg. 1 I should be fine, but beyond that, I'd like to have the security of the SM :)

Jean---Did you choose Jacobs for a particular reason? Had you considered other Alg. programs and found Jacob's more to your liking/preference, or did you know "off the bat" that Jacob's was the one you wanted? Also, is there a supplement/reference that gives the answers to the problems? I know a few answers are in the back of the textbook, but what about the rest?

Dh looked at Jacobs and Foersters and liked Jacobs best. He's not here to ask him why. Ds had already used Jacobs, "Mathematics: A Human Endeavor" in middle school and had liked it. (Ds also likes the comics but that wasn't the selling point.;)) The textbook only has the answers to set 2s. The other answers are in the TM. I was able to buy both text book and TM used.