Menu

Gears! Gears! Gears! ???

Does anybody here have any of these? I'm wondering a few things about them.

1. Are they fun and do they hold interest for a long time (meaning, will my child like them a few weeks after getting them or only the first few days)?

2. What is the appeal of this toy? What do they "do" with it?

3. What is the best age for these?

4. Aimed more for boys or girls or both equally?

5. Which kit would you recommend and why?

My very young ones enjoyed spinning the gears. We never made anything large. Some of the connection pieces are very small (Lego sized) so if choking hazards are a concern you'd have to remove those. (Still playable, just fewer connection options.)

It is a fun toy and my kids were "ok" with it, but they enjoy regular blocks and other lock-together style toys more.

We have a smaller set that we have had for years - it was a gift when Grammy and Grampy saw how much our children loved the Gears! Gears! Gears! at a local museum.

It gets played with by my 2yo (for fun), my 6yo (making things), and my 8yo twins . . . we've had them for about 4 years or so.

Ours are magnetic, so they use them on the fridge, and the dog has eaten a couple, but - it's a pretty popular toy.

We had those!! I would say K-2nd grade was the age that my kids were when they played with them the most. They were very durable & we passed them on to another family when we were done with them. :)

Edited to add - I have girls. They would place the flower shaped gears onto the boards and watch them spin - trying to get certain gears to spin certain ways. You can layer the gears in certain color patters and eventually spin all of the gears on all of the platforms by turning one gear. Simple, but held their interest.

Edited by clementine

We have a different gears set put out by Quercetti. My kids love them. Gears are one of those things like legos, where, the more you have, the more fun it is. Now that we have 2 or 3 sets of gears (all dumped in one big container together) they play with it more than ever.

My three older kids are 8yo girl, 7yo boy, 4yo girl. The baby is still to young for them.