Menu

Song School Latin, Prima Latina, or I Speak Latin?

I want to give dd an introduction to Latin and am not certain if I want a full program like PL, or something a little less like SSL or I Speak Latin. Recommendations? She will be six this month. TIA!

ETA: we would not be starting until May or June, possibly even July.

Edited by PentecostalMom

I'd start with Song School Latin. It's good basic vocabulary in a fun format. A very gentle beginning to Latin.

My dd7 did it last year and it was great for her. We've done Prima Latina this year and she's been fine with it. I think the enjoyment and foundation from Song School helped prepare her for the more academic program.

I started Song School Latin with my dd when she was 4. Since she couldn't write well yet we skipped the workbook and just focused on the songs from the CD and invented some games and activities to augment the catchy tunes. I blogged about it here.

When my dd was able to write and read comfortably we started up again, this time going through it with the workbook. She will finish in about a couple weeks and I am very pleased with her retention (and MINE!). Here is my most recent blog post on it...

I would wait to do PL until 2nd grade. If you want to do Latin earlier, I would do SSL. In fact, I am thinking about doing just that! ;)

She is doing 1st grade work now, headed to 2nd in late spring/early summer because we school year-round. I should have said that in my original post. :tongue_smilie:

She is doing 1st grade work now, headed to 2nd in late spring/early summer because we school year-round. I should have said that in my original post. :tongue_smilie:

Then I think that PL would be fine. I might actually do it a little early with my son as well. He is doing all first grade work now and is 5. :001_smile: You can even do it orally if the writing is too much. I have a couple of friends who use it that way.

I've thought about getting SSL for my daughter to use next year. She'll turn 6 in October. I didn't realize until I digged a little deaper that there is an instructor's manual. Is this necessary?

No. Not necessary. However, I found it useful because I started my kids on SSL while they were still really young and I was able to pull some of their extra games and activities in it to do before my oldest went through the actual student book.