Menu

Supplementing Math Mammoth?

myfatherslily

If you use Math Mammoth as your main curriculum, in what ways do you add to it? C-rods, abacus, extra worksheets, flashcards, etc. Of course, any child who's struggling with a concept should take time to understand it. I'm asking more in a general way.

I think I will buy Math Mammoth when it's on sale through HSBC. We'd be switching from Horizons. In the Horizons TM, they have extra things to do each day before starting the lesson, such as going over flashcards and practicing skip counting. I like having those simple things laid out for me and would like to make sure we don't forget them once we switch. Does MM have suggestions like that?

My child who used it didn't need or want manipulatives. I did add Singapore's IP and CWP, but I don't think that's necessary. DS is mathy and needed the extra challenge.

There are games and websites recommended at the beginning of each chapter. Sometimes one if the â€problems†will be to play addition war or something like that.

MM is our main math program. We supplement with Life of Fred - because dd loves it, it makes math fun for her, and I love how it introduces algebraic thinking in the elementary series - and Singapore word problems, for problem solving skills. I use Kitchen Table Math to help me with how to teach concepts, if I need more than is offered in MM. I also have TT, and dd works on those lessons on days that I can't "do math" with her, as MM is definitely not work-alone for her at this stage. Sometimes if something isn't clicking, I'll have dd watch a Kahn Academy video, to hear another type of explanation. She hates timed computer games/exercises, so we haven't really gone there.

If you use Math Mammoth as your main curriculum, in what ways do you add to it? C-rods, abacus, extra worksheets, flashcards, etc. Of course, any child who's struggling with a concept should take time to understand it. I'm asking more in a general way.

I think I will buy Math Mammoth when it's on sale through HSBC. We'd be switching from Horizons. In the Horizons TM, they have extra things to do each day before starting the lesson, such as going over flashcards and practicing skip counting. I like having those simple things laid out for me and would like to make sure we don't forget them once we switch. Does MM have suggestions like that?

There is no need to add, but we love to mix things up. We work on math at least 1 hr. per day - we use MM4 and I pull 16 pages out from the different chapters of the worktext per week (now working on Multiplication, Measurement, Angles, Geometry) - most weeks we get them all done. Also, one time per week we do 2-3 pages from flip math, pattern blocks, color tiles, c-rods, geoboard,logic safari, weeklly Reader Tables/Graphs, and mental math books along with either computer recommended games from MM or board games. Ds does not like flash cards so I have him recite his facts, skip count, etc. at least 2x per week. I keep a master list for daily reference to date and check so I do not forget anything.

MM does have suggestions and the web site has information - I have e-mailed with questions and received a timely response. So the support is great.

I highly recommend buying it if your child works well with a mastery based program. And only add if you feel the need.

There is no need to supplement MM, but we find it boring to the same types of worksheets day-in-day-out. Last year, we gave up using MM Y1 and switched to MEP. This year, we are doing MM Y2, but I add in interesting lessons from CSMP and worksheets from Scholastic Algebra Readiness Made Easy for fun.

My dd doesn't need manipulatives for the MM 2B lessons, but needs them for the CSMP Gr 2 lessons on multi-digit negative numbers.

CSMP Gr 2 lessons on multi-digit negative numbers.

Any chance you might have a link to these lessons in particular? Ds5 recently (and randomly) discovered the fun of adding and subtracting negative numbers with multiple digits. I haven't bothered to look for resources exploring this further because I assumed there weren't any for younger students.

Any chance you might have a link to these lessons in particular?

Sure. Any CSMP lessons dealing with Eli the Elephant (and the related worksheets) are for negative numbers. There are many worksheet files on the CSMP web site. For e.g. for grade 2, see Worksheet W8, and for grade 3, see worksheet N9. These provide minimal practice, so I make up more problems on my own.