Menu

need dessert ideas

I'm having a dinner gathering for two other couples, dh, and me. One of the wives doesn't eat sweets at all. She isn't diabetic or dieting and hasn't given up sweets for Lent or anything like that...she doesn't eat sweets. I'd kind of like to have dessert for the rest of us though. However, I don't want her to feel awkward, so I was wondering if it would be better to move away from the table for dessert, and I was trying to decide what to serve. I want to do something nicer than cookies/brownies - we're having steaks for dinner, and I am doing other "nice" foods. I had thought about just doing chocolate covered strawberries, but they can be challenging to eat. Maybe I am making too big a deal about this? We have been invited to eat at their home a couple of times, and she just doesn't serve dessert. Maybe I should do strawberry shortcakes or something similar, and she could just eat strawberries??? I just don't want her to have to watch us eat dessert. :confused:

What about dessert with a special beverage? Maybe she could just drink the beverage? If you make a special drink that goes along well with the dessert, it might work for everyone.

I made this over the weekend and it was so good! It would pair well with a special coffee - or just make black coffee and have several additives available.

Maybe wait a bit after dinner, then serve coffee and dessert. Set out the coffee, cream, sugar, and all that, and put whatever you decide for dessert on plates alongside. That way, each guest can serve themselves dessert and/or coffee, and nothing will feel awkward. :)

I was thinking of a fruit sorbet, but I think Bethany has the best idea.

Maybe wait a bit after dinner, then serve coffee and dessert. Set out the coffee, cream, sugar, and all that, and put whatever you decide for dessert on plates alongside. That way, each guest can serve themselves dessert and/or coffee, and nothing will feel awkward. :)

That is a good plan.

That brownie tiramisu looks amazing!!

I think a little self serve dessert idea sounds good, and along with the sweets, put out cheese and fruit. That way everyone can help themselves to whatever they like and there is something there for her as well.

I would recommend tiramisu because it is easy and spectacular, but all the oohing and ahhing would definitely draw attention to the dessert!

If you don't want to do a self serve dessert buffet, my other favorite dessert is affogato. If you have an espresso machine, you can serve a scoop of vanilla gelato (get the good stuff) and pour a shot of espresso over it. Elegant, easy and delicious.

In the end I wouldn't stress too much about it. It's her choice, and I'm sure she's used to skipping dessert while others eat. I don't eat red meat, but have no problem if others eat it in front of me. It's my choice - not their responsibility.