Menu

help me find secular character building material

Lots of boys

I like Little Big Minds. The book is written for adults to help young children think philosophically. It uses poetry, music, stories, etc.

If you are looking for a workbook or picture book, this isn't what you want.

It takes a bit of time and prep, but I think it's worth it. The book leads kids to think about various issues (such as being right, how to treat enemies, etc) rather than just telling them how to act.

Depending on the children's maturity etc, I would use it in late preschool or early elementary.

I'm hoping to integrate The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves into dinnertime conversation with my girls. I'm more attracted to the idea of philosophical discussion of virtues than a morality that involves a lot of guilt, which is how I was raised. :tongue_smilie:

Given the ages of your kids, this probably would be ahead of your youngest, but worth starting with your older two. I'm curious to see what others suggest.

Amy

There's a great free character building program called "Ready Set Happy" which has 16 character traits that you focus on. www.16guidelines.org

I also really like the Brite Music "Standin' Tall" series. The company is Mormon, but the program itself seems to be totally secular. My kids love the stories/music. Digital downloads are the way to go...and you can download them one at a time.

The website http://www.powerofmoms.com also does a character/value of the month...and each month they give various ideas on how to teach it. Once again, Mormon....but even though I'm looking for secular stuff, I find tons I can use. :)

When my kids were younger, we used Core Virtues by Mary Beth Klee. It's a literature based character ed program, that rotates through different character traits each month. I should probably pull the book out again, since my little guy might be ready to start using it soon!

We used it alongside K12's Virtues program, which is no longer available unfortunately.

When my kids were younger, we used Core Virtues by Mary Beth Klee. It's a literature based character ed program, that rotates through different character traits each month. I should probably pull the book out again, since my little guy might be ready to start using it soon!

We used it alongside K12's Virtues program, which is no longer available unfortunately.

Is there a way to see a sample bibliography for this? Could (did) you find most of the books at a local library?