Menu

I want a Macbook Pro, thinking of buying refurbished, what say the hive?

For my Mac loving Hive members,

We've always been a Dell family, but our last 5 laptops from them have been junk, they barely made it a year before having major issues. I've finally convinced my dh that it's ok for me to get a Mac (he's a diehard PC guy). I want a Macbook Pro, but they are a little more pricey than we can afford at the moment. I see apple sells refurbished ones and I've been more than happy with our refurbished iPad (1st gen)

Has anyone here bought a refurbished Macbook, and if you have, how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? Major issues? Minor issues?

Thanks for your help.

I bought a refurbished MacBookPro a few years ago, and it's still going strong.

When I got it, it looked like it was absolutely brand new, and I have been very happy with it. When I buy another one, I'll try to get another refurbished one, because I saved quite a bit of money the last time around.

Edited by Catwoman
typo!

I'm using my refurbed Macbook Pro right now! We bought it in November after my Macbook suffered an untimely end--completely and utterly my fault.

No issues at all, major or minor. I'm extremely pleased with it. I buy refurbished things (a vacuum cleaner, an iPhone, an HD radio, just to name a few) whenever possible because of the savings, and have never had any problems with any of them.

The refurbed Macbooks come with a year of free Apple Care, plus the option of adding years, too, so you really don't have much to worry about, IMO.

I had had Dell laptops in previous years, too, and like you, I've noticed that the quality has really declined.

I bought a refurbished MacBookPro a few years ago, and it's still going strong.

When I got it, it looked like it was absolutely brand new, and I have been very happy with it. When I buy another one, I'll try to get another refurbished one, because I saved quite a bit of money the last time around.

I'm using my refurbed Macbook Pro right now! We bought it in November after my Macbook suffered an untimely end--completely and utterly my fault.

No issues at all, major or minor. I'm extremely pleased with it. I buy refurbished things (a vacuum cleaner, an iPhone, an HD radio, just to name a few) whenever possible because of the savings, and have never had any problems with any of them.

The refurbed Macbooks come with a year of free Apple Care, plus the option of adding years, too, so you really don't have much to worry about, IMO.

I had had Dell laptops in previous years, too, and like you, I've noticed that the quality has really declined.

Thank you both, I'm starting to think this is the way to go. Like I said I've been more than happy with our refurbed iPad (I did buy the extra apple care, but we haven't had any problems with it at all)

Has anyone here bought a refurbished Macbook, and if you have, how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? Major issues? Minor issues?

Thanks for your help.

I recommend you check the price of the refurb with Amazon's price for the same model. Since you don't pay taxes in some states (and often don't pay shipping) on top of the price being cheaper, you can sometimes get a brand new Mac at Amazon for less than or almost the same as a refurb.

It's worth looking into, and I know many who only buy reburbs and never had an issue.

I recommend you check the price of the refurb with Amazon's price for the same model. Since you don't pay taxes in some states (and often don't pay shipping) on top of the price being cheaper, you can sometimes get a brand new Mac at Amazon for less than or almost the same as a refurb.

It's worth looking into, and I know many who only buy reburbs and never had an issue.

I checked amazon and the one I want is actually more on amazon, but the apple care is less. In the end it comes out about the same, but I wouldn't have to pay tax and I can use my prime shipping. Thanks for the tip.