Menu

If you have used Rosetta Stone, please help.

I almost don't know where to begin besides:cursing:. I was told by a MFW rep at a conference that if I used their lesson plans, that Level 1 Spanish would indeed be sufficient for high school credit. They state in the front of the lesson plans that they think the Rosetta Stone workbooks, quizzes and tests are more of an obstacle to the learning process than a help, so they don't include them in their plans. When I read that I was like:001_huh:. I trusted it, I was short on time, so we just started and I assumed that I would have to purchase those things in addition to what I already had, so skipped it. So, dd13 sings the praises of her fun computer Spanish program, is doing awesome according to the progress reports, I am thinking all is good. Oh. My. Land. I was rummaging around in the software box and found the CDrom with the blessed workbook, quizzes, tests.:confused: There is also a section that describes the different courses (had no idea). I just assumed the "Full Year Curriculum" that the lesson plan is for would have all that she needed.

WRONG. Apparently if you want to start at the basics, like the alphabet, etc, you have to select a different option.:confused:

I know that if I would have full investigated every iota of what I got and did a trial run...that I would have figured out there were missing pieces to this puzzle...I admit that I blindly trusted what I viewed as a reputable opinion on curriculum in general. I just wanted to get it started.

Dd13 has completed Level 1 Unit 1 (of 4 Units). I asked her tonight if it has ever gone through the alphabet and taught the sounds for the letters for that language, and she said no. :svengo:What can I do to make this curriculum more complete? Should I switch course settings and come back to it? Are the workbook/quizzes/tests worthless?

For Spanish, I wouldn't worry too much about the alphabet. I assume that she is learning proper pronunciation (and thus the sounds of the letters) also. Is there a quiz for level 1 Unit 1? I would have her take it and see how she does.

Other than that, I have to admit that while I've looked at the program, I haven't used it. (I have taught foreign languages though.)

For Spanish, I wouldn't worry too much about the alphabet. I assume that she is learning proper pronunciation (and thus the sounds of the letters) also. Is there a quiz for level 1 Unit 1? I would have her take it and see how she does.

Other than that, I have to admit that while I've looked at the program, I haven't used it. (I have taught foreign languages though.)

The first thing I was going to have her do was the quizzes for Unit 1, there are four quizzes, one for each lesson in the unit. Then from there we can keep up with the workbook starting with Unit 2, and quizzes, and so forth. I seriously don't understand how they could hinder, it seems like any reinforcement is a good idea, and since everything else she does is mostly oral, it seems logical to do the workbooks and quizzes for writing practice.

My only experience with foreign language was 2 years of French in a public high school in the early 90's. We were first taught the alphabet/sounds, a bunch of vocab, and then verbs and proper conjugation of those verbs, combining the language we learned as we learned it in both oral and written form. I suppose I might just be having a hard time letting go of traditional methods of teaching foreign language and not embracing the 'immersion' approach. I bought the program not necessarily to embrace the 'immersion' method, but because we wanted a Spanish program I didn't have to teach.

Would so love someone to be my hero and swoop in and tell me how to direct this program so that there aren't any holes in her learning and that I can still use it for credit.

really quick here.. I'm not at my computer with RS, so I can't give a perfect description.

but for all of that alphabet stuff... launch RS. look at the top right hand section of the screen. several icons. I forget which one it is. One of them has all of the alphabet and sounds. It's there.

In terms of complete with RS for high school credit? The MFW plans were written by a high school Spanish teacher. He didn't think the worksheets were the right kind of thing for learning the language and practicing. So keep that in mind as you go through it all. The guy who wrote them taught for years in Los Angeles schools.

I agree with their assessment that the worksheets weren't really helping to process much. You can use them for quizzes and all of that. But you might wait and do them later than RS thinks they should be done.

I can't swoop down and write lesson plans for you. LOL . But if all that's worrying you is the alphabet.... look at the top right of the RS screen. It's there.

Immersion method is how I was taught in college. We didn't start with alphabet.We started day 1 with Professor Sherberg bouncing into the class talking to us. He would say Hello students. and pause. wait for us to say something - repeat to us what we were supposed to say. Helped us say it better.... We talked. He pointed. Tests and quizzes were later in the 2nd semester. and by summer after that year? we could all survive for 6 weeks in Italy.

We didn't worry about workbook stuff until 2nd year. Then you could just add in something like Barron's for that.

biggest thing to "make it complete?" in my non professional opinion? find someone to talk with you in the language, really do the extras that MFW recommends in their lesson plans -- the dictation exercises from the audio CD, the listen to TV and DVD shows in spanish (preferably programs they already know). Grab some culture in real life situation like the appendix of the lesson plans suggests. children's book on audio.. stuff like that.

Yes, you can add in quizzes if that will help you. But you might just shift it by a semester. In other words, do the first quizzes much later in the year.

part of it for me is that the conjugation and all of that comes with the practice on the screen. You can get a resource out there to explain it if needed. but you might want to wait until 2nd year for that too. I know I just learned in college that certain stuff slightly changed. I didn't know all the reasons right off.

There are going to be gaps in anything! it's going to be ok!

hope that helps with the alphabet though

-crystal

I can't swoop down and write lesson plans for you. LOL . But if all that's worrying you is the alphabet.... look at the top right of the RS screen. It's there.

Crystal, thank you for your info on the MFW lesson plans. I did find the alphabet/pronunciation programing previous to posting my original post. I know it's there, you have to select it as a different course in your course option selection. There are many course options, but the MFW lesson plans were for the 'Full Year Course'. I was hoping someone would chime in and say something along the lines of "yes, we did xxxx course first, then Full Year Course, and completed it with yyyyy." Or something like that, IYKWIM? We could go through all the other courses to get a more complete learning experience, but that would take a lot more time, and I am not sure if that is necessary, which is why I was asking for help here.

I will still use the MFW lesson plans as they are great about explaining when to use the Audio CD(which she has always done), and puts the curric into nice tidy daily lessons. I will be adding in the workbook stuff and quizzes, and it isn't hard to figure out where they should go so no problem there. I haven't looked at all the additional activites, but so far I am not impressed with the ones MFW has assigned and I don't think there are enough so I will be also using the ones on the handy Additional Resources CDrom I found.

I am also wondering if anyone has used the Rosetta Stone Spanish Levels 1 and/or 2, and supplemented with a more traditional textbook that explained the grammar?

We do have several opportunities for her to speak Spanish with native speakers, but haven't pursued it yet as it seems like we haven't really learned enough yet to have that be a productive use of her time. I am guessing by this summer she will be ready for that. Our intentions are for her to really learn the language, not just fullfil a college admission requirement. Where we live there are lots of occupational incentives for being fluent in Spanish, and fluency is not achieved in 2 years of high school foreign language classes.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

We're doing French, but I think this will still apply.

First of all, I do like to supplement (Breaking the Barrier, some cultural activities, and some opportunities to practice conversation with others).

As for the worksheets, quizzes, and tests, I find it works better to let ds get a little farther ahead on the computer work he does independently before having him do the "paperwork." For example, he just finished up Unit 2, lesson 4 on the computer, but he was only on Unit 1, lesson 4 worksheets. Having this lag time between the computer practice and the worksheet practice seems to be helping.

We're doing French, but I think this will still apply.

First of all, I do like to supplement (Breaking the Barrier, some cultural activities, and some opportunities to practice conversation with others).

As for the worksheets, quizzes, and tests, I find it works better to let ds get a little farther ahead on the computer work he does independently before having him do the "paperwork." For example, he just finished up Unit 2, lesson 4 on the computer, but he was only on Unit 1, lesson 4 worksheets. Having this lag time between the computer practice and the worksheet practice seems to be helping.

Thank you, this definitely helps calm my mind about playing catch up with the workbooks and quizzes. She just started Unit 2, Lesson 2, so it will be a good time to jump into the workbook. I will have to look up Breaking the Barrier.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a traditional text and, if I spent the money on Rosetta Stone (which I wouldn't do if I hadn't already) I'd use Rosetta Stone as the supplement to hear language.

My guys have done three years of Spanish with RS (all high As) and have essentially learned very little. Middle son didn't even know the days of the week up until he started a real book this year (book from the library). He also didn't know all the pronouns, etc. He could not understand some basic things spoken or written by peers in our local ps (and our local ps is hardly college prep with languages). Oldest couldn't pass the placement test to get out of one semester of college Spanish. This was after 3 years of very regularly doing RS.

IMO Rosetta Stone is not worth the $$. (But if you've already bought it, switch to a regular curriculum and use RS as a supplement for hearing the language).

uh.. maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the "other curriculum paths in RS" do not start with Alphabet either.

I've used those younger paths with my younger students. And my husband used the speaking/listening path to prepare himself for a quick stay in Mexico. our goal wasn't to have fluency (or we would have started years before high school and done more), nor to have the ability to test out of college level. My own experience? did high school French in high school. When I was in 12th grade I heard Mickey Dolenz had to sing the Monkee Theme in Italian back when the show was on... heard that version, and thought "oh in college I'll take Italian". so I was a ditz teenager during the MTV times. Took 2 semesters at university. Immersion method with less text. Spent the summer in Italy taking sophomore level Italian 201, and culture and living there. then the business school went and made all of us business majors take this dumb class that only met at 9 am on Friday, which meant no one could took any other class at M W F at 9, which meant I didn't get to continue in Italian. grumble. Yes, I could live and navigate and try to speak while I lived in that town for 6 weeks. don't over think it in high school level.

I am also wondering if anyone has used the Rosetta Stone Spanish Levels 1 and/or 2, and supplemented with a more traditional textbook that explained the grammar?

If you search around for some posts by dhudson, she's used RS and something to supplement. She's very rigorous homeschool style.

and Julie in MN - she's done some of that with Barron's and RS.

this is what I was trying to say

Having this lag time between the computer practice and the worksheet practice seems to be helping.

fluency is not achieved in 2 years of high school foreign language classes

that's true no matter what is used. :) I can remember the differences in 2 French teachers in my high school. One who could teach the textbooks to us, but couldn't talk to the hotel clerk on the trip to France. The other one? well.. immersion method, less text, doing a lot of the same kind of high school activities that you don't like in mfw plans, but ok... and yet she could talk fluently. and my college professor - well I already mentioned that.

I know none of that helps. I'm just trying to encourage you that you didn't waste your money - like creekland said, if you go with traditional text route, RS makes for a nice language lab. I never clicked with TEll Me More. you could consider a community college class as well and use RS at home for lang. lab.

:grouphug:

-crystal

Cheryl, you and HappyGrace posted about RS at nearly the same time! Must be a zeitgeist thing.

I've used Rosetta Stone's German and LA Spanish courses. I'm a fan, but I echo previous comments about the program's great usefulness as a SUPPLEMENT.

For younger-than-high-school grades, I think RS offers a great introduction with a natural language approach that lets parents focus on other things. I'm happy I forked over the money. But I would NOT use RS as a stand-alone for high school, though, even with the workbooks, unless you aren't heading to one of the most rigorous colleges, and/or a friendly introduction to foreign language is enough. I understand the competence of most US public high school students after four years of foreign language study is low, but even so, RS by itself doesn't cut the mustard IMHO.

I speak Spanish as a second language, so I've been happy using Paso a Paso 2 (an older edition) with my freshman daughter this year. I like that much of the book is IN Spanish; but I realize that a non-Spanish speaker would have some trouble using it as we are doing. It's not totally independent study for her, but that's appropriate: she needs someone to talk with, after all -- and someone to grade her free responses. But in a year or two, I'll need to get someone with better grammar than me, to help her with essays and such.

I'm responding to Cheryl's posts partly to bump her question up: I'd like to hear from Spanish-speaking parents which book-based or online courses THEY feel are rigorous and appropriate for self-study by a child who has not grown up speaking the language much (quizás porque la mama es una gran perezosa, as in my case).

In other words, Cheryl's question.

Tia

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a traditional text and, if I spent the money on Rosetta Stone (which I wouldn't do if I hadn't already) I'd use Rosetta Stone as the supplement to hear language.

My guys have done three years of Spanish with RS (all high As) and have essentially learned very little. Middle son didn't even know the days of the week up until he started a real book this year (book from the library). He also didn't know all the pronouns, etc. He could not understand some basic things spoken or written by peers in our local ps (and our local ps is hardly college prep with languages). Oldest couldn't pass the placement test to get out of one semester of college Spanish. This was after 3 years of very regularly doing RS.

IMO Rosetta Stone is not worth the $$. (But if you've already bought it, switch to a regular curriculum and use RS as a supplement for hearing the language).

Interesting, as my dd has dabbled with RS on and off for a few years. She goes to ps now and last semester when she took Spanish I, she learned very little and said she learned so much more with RS. In Spanish II at school, she is learning more with tenses, but still thinks RS is more useful. She plans on finishing level 1 and 2 of RS this summer before going to Spain for a year.

ETA After 3 years of regular high school Spanish, I wasn't able to get out of Spanish in college either.

Edited by Krista in LA

Interesting, as my dd has dabbled with RS on and off for a few years. She goes to ps now and last semester when she took Spanish I, she learned very little and said she learned so much more with RS. In Spanish II at school, she is learning more with tenses, but still thinks RS is more useful. She plans on finishing level 1 and 2 of RS this summer before going to Spain for a year.

ETA After 3 years of regular high school Spanish, I wasn't able to get out of Spanish in college either.

Well, the major reason I chose to homeschool is because I didn't care for the academic level of our local ps. ;)

It doesn't mean I like RS - esp for the $$.

It's ok if your experiences are different - and good to add them here.