Menu

Earobics vs Lips?

momsuz123

http://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=HBPE255

I bought this. I had understood it to be similar to Earobics.

It didn't work for my son, b/c it was over his head. He could count syllables, so he did okay on that part, but after that part he would just get wrong answers, and then he went to random clicking. I would sit with him, and my mom sat with him a little too to see if she could help him better.... but it was still just over his head. (This is what happened with Starfall and Headsprout also. I really thought the computer programs that said they went really slow would work for him, sigh. I know they work for some kids, lol.)

I don't think this means these are bad products. I think there are some kids who are just going to have to go one-on-one with an Orton-Gillingham-type program to get phonemic awareness. Or -- that is what I think based on my son, b/c that is what worked for him.

I bought it wanting him to be able to hear the first sound in a word, by the way. He could hear syllables and compound words when he started it. (And, you know, hearing rhymes would be nice, and telling apart a consonant from a consonant blend, lol.)

My son did things similar to Lips in private speech therapy (referred after not making progress in school speech) and I did phonemic awareness with him at home at the same time. That is when he finally made some progress.

edit: it was the rhyming level my son couldn't get. we never used it past that part. I think -- looking at the web site. He did fine with counting syllables, but he could do that already. It didn't seem to let you skip rhymes to go on to the next section -- or if so I couldn't figure out how to do it. But that doesn't mean much, I am not great at things like that. Oh, and he was a young 6 when we used it.

Also at the time -- about 18 months ago now, I guess -- I was looking at Earobics or HearBuilder and I picked HearBuilder. I don't know why exactly, I was just getting a little better impression of it, and it was newer, while still getting good reviews, and some people were saying Earobics didn't have as good of graphics. I have never seen Earobics so I can't compare them.

I will also say I think my son really struggled in this area. I think he had a harder time than a lot of kids would. He was the only child in his grade referred to private speech. This year he is there, and one little boy from Kindergarden at his school, and this is a school with 4 classes per grade, and a lot of kids in speech therapy.

Edited by Lecka

Okay Lecka, thanks so much for all the info. My dd that needs the help is also in VT. She has never really liked watching tv, or much on the computer, so if Heabuilder or Earobics is a computer type method, then I know it won't work.

Honestly, I am leaning towards just getting the whole kit from LiPS. Yikes, it is expensive, but I have been told since Thanksgiving that she needs this, and yet I have been...waiting, maybe in denial a little, who knows.

Thanks. It is so hard to figure out what is going to best for these little kiddos.

Yes, Earobics is a computer program. It's been a while since we used it but it is ready to go, keeps track of progress, etc. It worked fine for my dd and was the only thing recommended by our SLP at the time. It wasn't as though she was sitting at the screen for long periods of time. I thought it was easy to use as there was no prep on my part.

Yeah, I don't think it is bad. I think my son needs kinesthetic learning also, where he is moving something around, and auditory and visual is just not enough for him. He also needed (in speech therapy) whole hours spent on just telling two sounds apart.

I am not sorry we tried it, and don't think it was a bad program or anything.

It is hard to say why something works for one kid and not for another!

I tend to think, too, that most SLPs will know about Lips, and Earobics, and products from SuperDuper, etc, and they probably have good insight into what might be best for a kid. I think if you asked "why this one and not the other" they might be able to give a reason.

Edited by Lecka

For those who don't want to use a software program, here are 2 good print resources. Neither compares to LiPS, but are much less expensive and would be a good place to start.

Literacy Leaders is a book with daily practice on several phonological awareness skills. You can see sample pages at http://www.eps.schoolspecialty.com but it is available at Rainbow Resource and other places.

Road to the Code is designed for classroom teachers, but moms can do it easily. It is designed for Kg and 1st graders. It has kids move chips around, so is good for those who need to "do" something, not just listen and answer. It is available at Amazon and other places.

...Honestly, I am leaning towards just getting the whole kit from LiPS. Yikes, it is expensive, but I have been told since Thanksgiving that she needs this, and yet I have been...waiting, maybe in denial a little, who knows.

Thanks. It is so hard to figure out what is going to best for these little kiddos.

Honestly, if you've been thinking about it that long but hesitating because of price, I suggest you get the LiPS manual now, read it and then see what you think. I found it used for cheap on ebay or Amazon, (I don't remember now which.) I've seen LiPS sell on ebay ranging from very cheap to nearly the cost of new. At any price, I believe it is a bargain.

I love LiPS. (Wasn't there an old Veggie Tales song sung by Larry the Cucumber that went something like that? :lol:) Even if your child could get by with Earobics, I suggest you get the LiPS manual. Why? Because it will help you be a better teacher. I found the information in the LiPS manual fascinating. Yeah, I'm a nerd like that.

At least get the LiPS manual and study it. You'll be glad.

Edited by merry gardens

Tagging along.....

I am curious about Road to the Code. I have two younger kids (b/g twins who are young 3s) and my little boy is somewhat speech delayed, though not as much as my older son at his age.

I own and have familiarity with Barton 1, Reading Reflex, and AAS 1. (Oh -- and the free blending and segmenting guide on the Abecedarian website.) But -- I didn't start any of these until my son was toward the end of Kindergarden, and not doing well.

I tried doing phonemic awareness with him, prior to that, just orally, and he never could catch on. I tried with colored markers and he couldn't catch on to that either. He only caught on with letters used.

I have my little kids home at least until they are 5 years 10 months and I wonder if I should start with Road to the Code? I never was able to teach my older son his letters or letter sounds -- he learned them in school from an aide who took him in the hallway. I have some self-doubt in this area now and I am not sure what to do. I will not be repeating anything I did with my older son when he was in pre-school, though, or at least not only doing those things (all the standard things I thought were the things to do at the time).

Any advice?

I looked at Road to the Code at one time for my older son and I have a good impression of it, so I am thinking of it.

(Btw -- they will go to the same school as my son, and overall I like his school etc. etc., but although they did phonemic awareness activities, my son learned *nothing* phonemic awareness at school. *Nothing.* They would not provide any intervention for him even though he failed screenings they gave while he was in K, but they did have an aide teach him his letters and sounds, and I am grateful for that, b/c I certainly had tried to the best of my ability, though that was before I knew abut multisensory learning.)

Edited by Lecka

Okay, I did it, I bought the whole LiPS kit. I was looking at just the manual, but then when I started adding on to it, I realized it was better off just to get the whole thing. I am looking forward to getting it and sitting down with the dvd's and learning how to do this. Thanks for all the other ideas.

• 1 month later...
Guest lemonheadsfan37

hi, Sorry, I have no experience with LIPS. We considered it, but it was too costly in terms of time and money for our family. We did have quite good success with Hearbuilder. It is very similar to Earobics, but i personally thought the graphics were better. Also it is cheaper. However, our girl's phonological processing skills showed the most improvement using a free trial of Brainskills. It only lets you try the cognitive activities for a short time without buying it- but gave us no-time limit use of its 40 level phonological training activity. It is fantastic. Their website is not especially easy to navigate to get the free trial up and running. It took us a couple of attempts and frustration time circumnavigating the pages of the site lol. But it was worth the effort.