Menu

Car Seats... when do I get a new one?

It depends on the car seat itself.

If you can give the brand of the seat that might help people give you better answers. For example: most convertible car seats would typically go to 40 lbs but they may possibly outgrow by height first.

One way to tell if they are outgrowing any forward facing seat is that the should straps MUST be at or above their shoulders. If it is below their shoulders at the highest slot they have outgrown the seat. Also I believe if the tips of their ears are above the top of the seat they have also outgrown in.

Some seats have higher height/weight limits though so knowing the seat is important. i think I would assume it's a 40lb limit if you don't know the seats details. Also seats do expire so check the date of manufacture (usually on the bottom or back of the seat, sometimes it is an expiration date instead) I think it's usually 6 yrs from manufacture that it expires.

I found it! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZD0QM?ie=UTF8&tag=findmycarseat-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000YZD0QM

It says until 50 pounds. Ds3.5 is 41 pounds. I might start looking anyway. That is getting close!

Make sure it is the Advance as the prior versions of the triumph only went to 40 lbs.

The Graco Nautilus is what we had for my current 6 year old (7 year old has one as well). It harnesses to 65 lbs with a high top shoulder slot (both of my kids still could be harnessed in it and the 6 yr old has a long torso) and can then be used as a booster.

Sorry, I didn't clarify! :)

Outgrowing really. I probably need one as one of the foam inserts is missing but I am mainly concerned with when they outgrow them. The infant seats are much easier to tell when they outgrow them!

I would look into getting the replacement foam from Evenflo or getting a new one ASAP. The foam absorbs a lot of the impact. A FF seat is outgrown when any ONE of these are met:

1) the tops of the ears go over the top of the seat shell

2) shoulders go over top harness slots

3) weight limit is reached

I found it! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZD0QM?ie=UTF8&tag=findmycarseat-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000YZD0QM

It says until 50 pounds. Ds3.5 is 41 pounds. I might start looking anyway. That is getting close!

When did you buy the seat? There are MANY editions of the Evenflo Triumph. The one you have could be expired by now. Check the date of manufacture on the seat. And get a PDF of the manual from the website.

I would look into getting the replacement foam from Evenflo or getting a new one ASAP. The foam absorbs a lot of the impact. A FF seat is outgrown when any ONE of these are met:

1) the tops of the ears go over the top of the seat shell

2) shoulders go over top harness slots

3) weight limit is reached

This. My children always max out the height of a seat long before the weight. There should be a sticker on your seat somewhere with the date of manufacture.