Menu

So tell me about Life of Fred

sweetpea3829

I've been seeing this curriculum mentioned frequently on Hive Mind. And now that I've googled it, I'm intrigued!

Who is using it and how do you like it? What are the benefits of it? I'm already using Singapore and will likely be adding Horizons for my daughter (who struggles with math) for review. Will Life of Fred just be more filler or is it otherwise useful besides these two curriculums we're already using?

Any reasons not to use it?

On Rainbow Resource, it indicates the Apples book (the beginning book) is for 3rd grade on up. But the life of fred website indicates it's useful for Kindergarten, assuming the child can add and subtract (my 5 yr old can, my 6 yr old cannot).

Is it better for the older set, or useful for my Kers?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this curriculum...it's very interesting, so far.

We've used Singapore Math all through with all the dc, and just recently started using Life of Fred. It's been more of a supplement for the Elementary level books we've used (Apples and Cats), as it only takes a couple months to finish the books for that level. It is a lot of fun, but doesn't cover the math concepts in the depth that SM does.

With my older two dc they are going through LoF Fractions, which seems to be much more comprehensive and takes longer. It has been excellent for ensuring the dc do their work carefully and check their answers, especially for the "bridges." This is exactly what I was hoping for. The dc are all enjoying the books and fight to be the first one to do LoF math with mommy.

With my older two dc they are going through LoF Fractions, which seems to be much more comprehensive and takes longer. It has been excellent for ensuring the dc do their work carefully and check their answers, especially for the "bridges." This is exactly what I was hoping for. The dc are all enjoying the books and fight to be the first one to do LoF math with mommy.

If I could ask---- What grade is LOF Fractions? or what should my child have done already and know to use LOF Fractions?

Hahaha! I was just thinking the same thing b/c I keep seing Life of Fred mentioned. So I looked it up, and I read a sample lesson from Apples. Maybe it's just my weird sense of humor, but I found it hilarious. Brilliant, but hilarious! I was laughing and DH asked me why. I told him b/c I was looking up a math curriculum called Life of Fred, and I can see why it's called Life of Fred. It tells stories about Fred! LOL! So I was reading about how Fred woke up at 5:00, and liked to jog in the morning, but since it was February it was still dark out. He can't go jogging in the dark b/c he'd trip on things and fall down. So he's going to wait 2 hours until it's 7:00, b/c the sun will be up by then. And then the story went on to tell about how 5+2=7. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who finds this approach funny. But I think it's brilliant b/c it's showing how math is used in real life situations. I'm going to think about using this as a supplement to our MUS.

Hahaha! I was just thinking the same thing b/c I keep seing Life of Fred mentioned. So I looked it up, and I read a sample lesson from Apples. Maybe it's just my weird sense of humor, but I found it hilarious. Brilliant, but hilarious! I was laughing and DH asked me why. I told him b/c I was looking up a math curriculum called Life of Fred, and I can see why it's called Life of Fred. It tells stories about Fred! LOL! So I was reading about how Fred woke up at 5:00, and liked to jog in the morning, but since it was February it was still dark out. He can't go jogging in the dark b/c he'd trip on things and fall down. So he's going to wait 2 hours until it's 7:00, b/c the sun will be up by then. And then the story went on to tell about how 5+2=7. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who finds this approach funny. But I think it's brilliant b/c it's showing how math is used in real life situations. I'm going to think about using this as a supplement to our MUS.

No, this is exactly why I'm intrigued with this approach. My daughter has a LOT of difficulties with math. It is highly unlikely that she will ever advance to become a mathematician or any kind of field that requires the use of a lot of math. This curriculum would be perfect for her because it will demonstrate to her the NEED to continue plugging along as well as present real-life math situations that she's going to have to learn.

I've been seeing this curriculum mentioned frequently on Hive Mind. And now that I've googled it, I'm intrigued!

Who is using it and how do you like it? What are the benefits of it? I'm already using Singapore and will likely be adding Horizons for my daughter (who struggles with math) for review. Will Life of Fred just be more filler or is it otherwise useful besides these two curriculums we're already using?

We use LOF elementary series (we're on Edgewood) as a fun, pleasant math supplement. DD says "Fred makes math fun" which is music to my ears. It is *not* a stand-alone math program at the elementary level, although I believe it could be for Fractions on up. It is a funny, quirky, math related story about a 5-year-old math professor named Fred. Fred teaches math, thinks about math, talks about math, and runs into many mathematically-challenging situations in his everyday life.

Fred introduces high-level math concepts in a very approachable way from day 1. You get introduced to algebraic equations from day 1, practically. There is lots of discussion about the cool stuff you will learn some day in Calculus. One of the big benefits is the explanation of high level math concepts in an easy to understand and approachable way. Math is completely demystified. If 5-year-old Fred can get it, of course you can!

There is lots of other stuff in it too - etymology, geography, ethics, vocabulary, etc. Stan Schmidt, the author, says "I don't teach math, I teach children" and there is a little bit of everything in his books. I like how it connects math to absolutely everything else in life.

Any reasons not to use it?

For sure, lots. It's expensive to buy 10 books at $16 ea to supplement elementary math. I wouldn't do it if I just had one kid using it, probably, but I plan on using it with both girls, so it pencils out a bit better.

Maybe you or your kid won't find it funny and engaging - if you don't skip it.

There is a lot of religious content - mention of God, praying, Sunday school, etc. We aren't religious, but the religious content doesn't bother us a bit. We have lots of interesting philosophical discussions about belief, faith, and its role in morality. But some would be put off by this.

And, there is the infamous ending of the Dogs book. Basically, Fred and his friends try to adopt 30 dogs from the animal shelter to save them from euthanasia, then realize that they cannot keep and care for the dogs. Fred has to return them to the shelter, and he cries. If you buy the book new, now, there is a sticker that says that an anonymous donation is received by the shelter that allows all the dogs to be saved. Oh happy day! We just elected to skip the last two chapters of Dogs. It's a pretty heavy subject matter for our "fun" math.

There are a few typos, too, that bug some people a lot.

On Rainbow Resource, it indicates the Apples book (the beginning book) is for 3rd grade on up. But the life of fred website indicates it's useful for Kindergarten, assuming the child can add and subtract (my 5 yr old can, my 6 yr old cannot).

I'm doing apples with my dd5, slowly. I think it's too soon, not because of the math, but because she doesn't quite get the story or engage with it with the joy my dd9 does. I'm thinking of shelving it and doing it again with her in a few months, I think she'll enjoy it more.

Is it better for the older set, or useful for my Kers?

Like I said, my very language and math advanced K girl can handle the math, but doesn't get as much from the story as she probably will later . . .

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this curriculum...it's very interesting, so far.

You are welcome! We love Fred at our house.

We used LOF Fraction and Decimals this year as a supplement to our Saxon work. My ds blew threw them. I know a lot of people really rave about the curriculum, but I definitely agree it has to be the right fit.

My ds did not care for LOF at all. He cared nothing about the fact that it was a funny story to follow along. He also did not have great retention on any concepts that were introduced in LOF, that he had not had a lot of work with. My ds does not necessarily really enjoy math, but he does really well in it. I am not sure about the other levels, but I would not use these two books as a stand alone curriculum. They were definitely a supplement.

Just our opinion, which I am not sure is a common one.

I know that the entire set only costs $ 604:D

I totally wanted to buy the whole thing; my husband suggested I see if I could get them from inter-library loan. I picked up beginning algebra, geometry, and the second algebra last night. I am so freaking excited! I'm only three chapters in beginning algebra and there are already several things that make so much more sense to me. I've always hated algebra, many tears were shed and many math books were thrown in high school. They give a typical textbook question in the beginning and I didn't even know how to answer it! How pathetic is that? But so far, this book does a great job explaining the concepts of math. I have the books for another month. I'm going to go through them as much as I can and if they are really, really good still, I would buy them for my own self education so I'm ready when my kids get to high school math.

My plan is this...

We're reading through Apples right now, which for us is a quick thing, as my kids are 10 and 8. Then we'll keep going through the Elementary series, at least dd8 will at the rate of probably 4-5 books/year, as ds10 will be starting Fractions in the fall. I plan to have him do both Fractions and Decimals & Percents for 6th grade (2012-2013). We're also using Math Mammoth, the Blue series (topical).

Then, when dd is done with the Elem. books, she'll do Fractions, etc. When he's in 7th grade, ds will probably work through the pre-algebra books. I plan to stop supplementing when we hit algebra!

A few threads on LOF for the OP...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347915&highlight=Life+of+Fred+LOF

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347589

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348797&highlight=Life+of+Fred+LOF

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302301&highlight=Life+of+Fred+LOF

No, this is exactly why I'm intrigued with this approach. My daughter has a LOT of difficulties with math. It is highly unlikely that she will ever advance to become a mathematician or any kind of field that requires the use of a lot of math. This curriculum would be perfect for her because it will demonstrate to her the NEED to continue plugging along as well as present real-life math situations that she's going to have to learn.

To the bold, may I say gently: your child is 6yo. Repeat, 6yo. Do not pigeon-hole her. Please don't say these types of things in front of her. When it comes to math, kids are on varying levels at all ages. Have you read Teaching the Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn? I would HIGHLY recommend it given what you've said here; specifically their section on math and the history of how it was taught previous to the last 100 years. This is your first homeschooled child and so very early at that. It would be wise to look at different philosophies.

That being said, I had a dd who did great in math until she hit multiple-step problems. LOF saved her math *career* and she's now on track to start Algebra as an 8th grader; she's also doing higher level algebra already with relation to chemistry and thermodynamics and blowing away some of the high-schoolers in her class. Generally speaking, the first year algebra is a year early and the higher levels for chem. are at least three years ahead. A lot of people have opinions about LOF. The only way you'll really know is to try it and give it time. The author is no idiot. He knew what he was doing when he wrote his curriculum and as I've said many times, if nothing else, LOF will teach your child to *think* w/o anyone else's input, especially the parent who has emotions invested.

If anyone has specific questions, you can e-mail the author. He's quite accessible and has made time for my questions several times, even to the point of calling me.

To the bold, may I say gently: your child is 6yo. Repeat, 6yo. Do not pigeon-hole her. Please don't say these types of things in front of her. When it comes to math, kids are on varying levels at all ages. Have you read Teaching the Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn? I would HIGHLY recommend it given what you've said here; specifically their section on math and the history of how it was taught previous to the last 100 years. This is your first homeschooled child and so very early at that. It would be wise to look at different philosophies.

That being said, I had a dd who did great in math until she hit multiple-step problems. LOF saved her math *career* and she's now on track to start Algebra as an 8th grader; she's also doing higher level algebra already with relation to chemistry and thermodynamics and blowing away some of the high-schoolers in her class. Generally speaking, the first year algebra is a year early and the higher levels for chem. are at least three years ahead. A lot of people have opinions about LOF. The only way you'll really know is to try it and give it time. The author is no idiot. He knew what he was doing when he wrote his curriculum and as I've said many times, if nothing else, LOF will teach your child to *think* w/o anyone else's input, especially the parent who has emotions invested.

If anyone has specific questions, you can e-mail the author. He's quite accessible and has made time for my questions several times, even to the point of calling me.

Totally understand where you're coming from. We hope to provide her with an understanding and accepting learning environment, but one that is also realistic. We are currently in the process of ruling out learning disabilities like NVLD, Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. She's been assessed twice by the school department and has consistently demonstrated extreme difficulty with comprehending even basic math concepts like 1:1 correspondence.

I would love nothing more than for her to turn the corner and kick butt with math. The likelihood of that, however, is not high. It's just not her strength...and that's ok, too. LoF seems like the kind of program that will help motivate her to see the need for math instead of blowing it off because it's hard for her.

I'm also wondering if my husband (who also is dyslexic and probably dyscalculic) might see some benefit from reading the series.

I appreciate your perspective and will check out that book. Thanks for mentioning it!

My boys are in MUS Gamma right now and bored to tears. While I'd love to accelerate through it, these math facts are so important to really get down pat. Thanks to this thread, I finally took a peek at LoF, and have to say I think this just might fix the dreary atmosphere that presents when math time rolls around each day.

Thank you!!!

My boys are in MUS Gamma right now and bored to tears. While I'd love to accelerate through it, these math facts are so important to really get down pat. Thanks to this thread, I finally took a peek at LoF, and have to say I think this just might fix the dreary atmosphere that presents when math time rolls around each day.

Thank you!!!

Yep, this is just how we use it . . . slog through 45 minutes of Math Mammoth, which is teaching her so well, but is not exactly fun, and then 15 minutes of joy with Fred! I've said it before, I love being able to bribe a kid to finish math by promising them . . . more math!! ;)