Menu

New and looking for some help

Bellamoon

Hello! I am new here! I just read the book and it makes a lot of sense to me! I am needing some help deciding on things though. I have three kids ages 1,5 and 9. My 9 year old is working on a 4th grade level and is not challenged by our current curriculum at all. We have used Abeka and currently using Moving Beyond the Page. My 5 year old just turned 5 and we have been using Hooked on Phonics to help her learn to read. My 9 year old needs a program like this. I just don't quite know where to start or how. I have never pieced together curriculum before and I am afraid I will mess things up. We have Story of the world and the work book that I had planned on using with my 5 year old for K/1 but I am thinking that I can also use that for the 9 year old? Also I want to start as soon as possible as he is really bored. 9 year old has ADHD and has been schooled at home for 2nd 3rd and now 4th grades.

Ok this was kind of jumbled...I guess I just need some help!

Tara

I am not sure I am clear on what you need lol. Your 9 yr old needs phonics? If that is the case then Phonics Road is a great program you can take your kids through. It is 4 years long and a bit $$ but I love it and it is so easy once you get the hang of it. Resale is great as well so it is only a temporary investment.

What I did was just list out the subjects I wanted to teach and then researched each subject individually (mostly on these boards.) I'm a curriculum junky, so I actually enjoy all the research. I tend to prefer creative, interesting, intellectually stimulating curricula so I stay away from things that are too dry. But many are just the opposite so its really a personal preference. Searching through these boards will give you a wealth of information on all sorts of curricula.

Here's an idea of what I plan to do when I have a 9 year old:

Language arts: MCT

Math: MEP

Spelling: AAS

Latin: not sure yet

Spanish: not sure yet

I also keep a list of books to be read throughout the year--

History: read Beautiful Feet recommendations

Reading/Read-Alouds: follow Sonlight and Ambleside recommendations

I should add though that I do not follow TWTM religiously. I have my own strong ideas about education which are often at odds with SWB's. But nevertheless I find these boards invaluable because for the most part people here aim to give their kids a rigorous, academic education.

Good luck!

Elena

I guess what I am confused about is how to transition what we are working with to a more classical approach. Ds is using Moving beyond the page. It does not focus on grammar, or spelling at all. He reads 2 books every 3 weeks and has a lot of writing about them, but nothing that focuses on rules at all. It is a unit study I think, but I am not fond of the history and science portion. He uses teaching textbooks for math, which we love.

And since I have never home schooled k-1 I have no idea where to start with my five year old.

I think epignone has good advice--choose your subjects and then start researching curricula. WTM (the book) is a good place to start because it narrows things down quite a bit and you can trust that SWB's suggestions are high quality. If you're feeling really overwhelmed, I would suggest choosing from among her recommendations for the specific grades you need.

As for the transition, I think it may depend on the curriculum and where your child is in each subject. You may need to evaluate each subject separately. Ask a lot of questions on this board, go to a homeschool conference and flip through potential curricula at the curriculum fair, and try to find the best fit for where your child is.

Your K/1-er will be much simpler because you can just start from the beginning.

Good luck!

My dd is going to start K level work in the fall (she will be around 4.5 then, so not as early as it seems now) so I can list what we're planning on using as of now just to give you an idea.

Phonics: At the moment we're using Funnix. If we do switch for some reason between now and fall, it will probably be to Phonics Pathways.

Math: Right Start A

Science: Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding

We'll also continue to do FIAR, along with lots of read-alouds.

This is just our tentative plan. Everything is subject to change at the drop of a hat at this point. ;)

As for first grade, that's a ways off, but so far, I do plan (tentatively!) to do SOTW for history and RS B for math. No idea whatsoever what we're going to do when the time comes to start formal handwriting.

And really, the consensus seems to be around here that for K, doing phonics and math, along with lots of reading and playing, is (sometimes more than) enough. So don't stress. :001_smile:

I think epignone has good advice--choose your subjects and then start researching curricula. WTM (the book) is a good place to start because it narrows things down quite a bit and you can trust that SWB's suggestions are high quality. If you're feeling really overwhelmed, I would suggest choosing from among her recommendations for the specific grades you need.

:iagree: Also, think of your 9 year olds strengths and weaknesses. Your goals (I concentrate on the 9 year old because you have plenty of time to set seated with the 5 year old). What has been covered? Plenty of bio? Consider chemistry as it has lots of oooh/ahhh/hands on fun, e.g.

Good speller? How are *you* on the spelling rules?

We like Growing with Grammar and you can look at some sample pages there to see where kiddo might be.

Unless your kiddo is very good at reading and writing, I'd consider backing up to WWE 2 and just using smaller lined paper and expecting "more" with some practice. You could then use the book for your next one and your 9 year old would be comfortable with the WWE demands. Once we had 2 down, we skipped a little.

How are you with math? Need 100% hand holding? Love math and can do it in your head?

***I'd post a post/subject after you have considered where your 9 y/o is, where you are, and what your goals and religious requirements are (secular, doesn't matter, must be Christian). Also, if you are on a shoestring or not. ;)***

Don't worry about hogging board space. We've all been beginners and we love to share what we know. Welcome, and don't sweat the 5 year old. You have PLENTY of run up to the more serious stuff. Promise!!!

Ok my ODS we did the CAT test last may and he tested in the 98% for everything. He reads at a 12 grade level although its hard to find age appropriate books that he likes. He loves Harry Potter though.

Writing- horrible I can barely read it sometimes, but his grammar is good as is his spelling. I would say they are average for a 4-5 grader.

Math- kid loves math-me not so much. We use teaching textbooks and He loves it. I like it because I don't have to teach it. He has 10 more lessons of level 4 and he is averaging a 96%

History- He likes but isn't strong. We haven't really spent much time on history at all

Geography- Not where he should be. He doesn't know where certain countries are but he is good at googling.

Science- he is above average here as well loves hands on but doesn't mind reading about it either.

He needs to be challenged more then his currently is. As far as goals, just to challenge him so that he is reaching his potential. He is wicked smart but has ADHD and get distracted. We prefer christian but secular is ok so long as it doesn't directly conflict with our beliefs. Budget. Well I have already purchased TT and Shurley Grammar 5, we also have Story of the world and the Usborn Encyclopedia of world history. I would like to spend no more then an additional 1-200. We have a ton of good library's to get reading books from but we do not really have any "good" books.

Ok my ODS we did the CAT test last may and he tested in the 98% for everything. He reads at a 12 grade level although its hard to find age appropriate books that he likes. He loves Harry Potter though.

Writing- horrible I can barely read it sometimes, but his grammar is good as is his spelling. I would say they are average for a 4-5 grader.

Math- kid loves math-me not so much. We use teaching textbooks and He loves it. I like it because I don't have to teach it. He has 10 more lessons of level 4 and he is averaging a 96%

History- He likes but isn't strong. We haven't really spent much time on history at all

Geography- Not where he should be. He doesn't know where certain countries are but he is good at googling.

Science- he is above average here as well loves hands on but doesn't mind reading about it either.

He needs to be challenged more then his currently is. As far as goals, just to challenge him so that he is reaching his potential. He is wicked smart but has ADHD and get distracted. We prefer christian but secular is ok so long as it doesn't directly conflict with our beliefs. Budget. Well I have already purchased TT and Shurley Grammar 5, we also have Story of the world and the Usborn Encyclopedia of world history. I would like to spend no more then an additional 1-200. We have a ton of good library's to get reading books from but we do not really have any "good" books.

I know others will weigh in, but if math isn't broken, don't fix it.

My 9 year old *loves* The You Wouldn't Want to Be series, which libraries often have (e.g. You Wouldn't Want to be an Pyramid Builder). Our library also has the Mike Venezia Famous Artists, Famous Composers, the Presidents, etc. All these will really beef up a "general history" knowledge and can be done without you, with such a strong reader. They are bite-sized enough my bouncy boy can sit through them.

Adventures in Atoms and Molecules (mentioned in WTM) are cheap to find used, and uses cheap supplies for chemistry. There are lots of great YouTube vids for chem, and don't miss the University of Nottingham's Periodic Table vids. Free and interesting. The reason I keep harping on chem is that it is a good way to "grab" a 9 year old for science. Who can be board with cabbage juice pH testers?

Growing with Grammar teaches diagramming, etc. It is "neutral" in content, but doesn't use Ms. as a title. That is a simple thing to teach. (And even if you think women should be Mrs. or Miss, in this day and age a kid should know what Ms. means :)). My son LOVES the spiral top binding. He is irritated by spines interfering with his writing. Again, they have samples so you can see what level he might be in. Diagramming is introduced in 3.

I can't help on the handwriting. I believe people here talk about the simplicity of HWT for those with bad writing.

For geography, I encourage the biggest wall map you can afford and put up, and a globe. Whenever you hit a place in a book, look at it. My wiggly boy has done much better with this than trying to memorize swaths of it. Also, get a local map and look where you are going, etc. to teach map skills. Use the legend. It is a wonder cheap resource that brings maps home, literally.

HTH

I know others will weigh in, but if math isn't broken, don't fix it.

My 9 year old *loves* The You Wouldn't Want to Be series, which libraries often have (e.g. You Wouldn't Want to be an Pyramid Builder). Our library also has the Mike Venezia Famous Artists, Famous Composers, the Presidents, etc. All these will really beef up a "general history" knowledge and can be done without you, with such a strong reader. They are bite-sized enough my bouncy boy can sit through them.

Adventures in Atoms and Molecules (mentioned in WTM) are cheap to find used, and uses cheap supplies for chemistry. There are lots of great YouTube vids for chem, and don't miss the University of Nottingham's Periodic Table vids. Free and interesting. The reason I keep harping on chem is that it is a good way to "grab" a 9 year old for science. Who can be board with cabbage juice pH testers?

Growing with Grammar teaches diagramming, etc. It is "neutral" in content, but doesn't use Ms. as a title. That is a simple thing to teach. (And even if you think women should be Mrs. or Miss, in this day and age a kid should know what Ms. means :)). My son LOVES the spiral top binding. He is irritated by spines interfering with his writing. Again, they have samples so you can see what level he might be in. Diagramming is introduced in 3.

I can't help on the handwriting. I believe people here talk about the simplicity of HWT for those with bad writing.

For geography, I encourage the biggest wall map you can afford and put up, and a globe. Whenever you hit a place in a book, look at it. My wiggly boy has done much better with this than trying to memorize swaths of it. Also, get a local map and look where you are going, etc. to teach map skills. Use the legend. It is a wonder cheap resource that brings maps home, literally.

HTH

:iagree: My wiggly (but not ADHD) 10 yo loves all of the above suggestions. Have you checked the Ambleside Online website for appropriate history books on his reading level?

For science, perhaps you could set him up with something like Apologia to read on his own? Khan Academy has oodles of free scientific videos. It's fantastic!

Do you have an iPad? I've heard there are many fun apps that can improve handwriting.

For teaching to read and phonics, you can search these forums. There are many threads about that. You can read about strengths and weaknesses of many programs. Some are heavy on writing; some are heavy on sensory input; some are heavy on reading material, some are very 'crafty,' etc. That will narrow it down for you, and you can find one that will work with your personality and your child's.

Good luck! Welcome! :001_smile: