Menu

Simka: Here is the recipe and info about the cook book:

Breakfast Risotto:

1 cup uncooked arborio rice

1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk (I used regular coconut milk in a cardboard box - they did not have a can of light)

2 cups water

1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks drained (I used fresh, already in chunks from wegman's produce department)

1/2 cup currants

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cardomom

1/2 pitted mango or banana, peeled and chopped (optional) (I didn't use this)

Pour 1 cup of water into a large skillet (I used a large saucepan) and place over medium heat. When it comes to a boil, add the rice. When the water is absorbed, add the other cup of water, and when that is absorbed, add 1 cup of coconut milk. Continue cooking and stirring frequently over medium heat till the liquid is absorbed, then add the remaining 6 ounces of the coconut milk.

When the rice is cooked (you will have been at it about 20 minutes at this point) and all the liquid is absorbed, add the pineapple, currants, nuts, spices, and if desired, the optional fruit. Heat through (stir while heating through), serve.

Bon Appetit!

The Gluten-Free Vegan

by Susan O'brien

Delicious!

DH had two servings -- unheard for him - he is SO picky!

I would describe it as a wonderfully creamy rice pudding with just a touch of tart (the pineapple) and I don't see why one couldn't sprinkle the top with sweetener if they wanted to -- but it's not something that has to be done.

This is pretty similar to what my family calls "breakfast rice". I was surprised how eager the kids are to eat rice for breakfast. For whatever reason, it seems to keep them full longer than oatmeal. I usually use white or brown basmati from my rice cooker. I'll give the arborio rice a try. The recipe looks yummy!

This is pretty similar to what my family calls "breakfast rice". I was surprised how eager the kids are to eat rice for breakfast. For whatever reason, it seems to keep them full longer than oatmeal. I usually use white or brown basmati from my rice cooker. I'll give the arborio rice a try. The recipe looks yummy!

In red -- THAT is what I noticed today with my kids AND with me and DH. No one was snacking, or looking for food to eat an hour after breakfast.

In fact, I went all day and didn't eat again till dinner -- THAT never happens.