Menu

Mega Words - what do you use it for?

gevs4him

I am using it for spelling for my 12 year olds. We just started it a few months ago. As we get further into the program, I expect to use it for a bit of remedial phonics as well. I see that my girls do not get spelling because they are missing some of the phonic rules, so that is the cross over for me.

I use it with a 5th grader who I tutor that is dyslexic. I call it "phonics". I like the layout and the activities in the book. I wouldn't use it with a child who has average or above average abilities in reading/spelling. I think it works well as a remediation program.
I use it as a spelling-only program with my 10yo accelerated learner. It has been a good fit and rarely takes more than five minutes a day.

I also use it with my 6th grade dyslexic dd. However, I would not say it cannot be used with "average" students, just that they would start the program a little younger. I believe the recommended grade level is "Grades 4 and up". Starting with Book 1 in Grade 4 seems perfectly reasonable for most students.

We use it mainly for spelling, as well as phonics review. It is not intended as an introduction to phonics, but as a review and introduction to specific phonics and spelling rules not necessarily taught in earlier grades.

We are really enjoying the program. It has enough variety in the type of worksheet activities, and really drives the points home. It can also be used for reading practice, as there is a list of words that follow the rules taught in the lesson, as well as dictation sentences at the end of each lesson. Therefore, it is very versatile and you can use it in a variety of ways.

Just an FYI, you really must have the teacher's manual, since it has all of the dictation portions for the worksheets that include partial words to be completed through dictation.

I also use it with my 6th grade dyslexic dd. However, I would not say it cannot be used with "average" students, just that they would start the program a little younger. I believe the recommended grade level is "Grades 4 and up". Starting with Book 1 in Grade 4 seems perfectly reasonable for most students.

We use it mainly for spelling, as well as phonics review. It is not intended as an introduction to phonics, but as a review and introduction to specific phonics and spelling rules not necessarily taught in earlier grades.

We are really enjoying the program. It has enough variety in the type of worksheet activities, and really drives the points home. It can also be used for reading practice, as there is a list of words that follow the rules taught in the lesson, as well as dictation sentences at the end of each lesson. Therefore, it is very versatile and you can use it in a variety of ways.

Just an FYI, you really must have the teacher's manual, since it has all of the dictation portions for the worksheets that include partial words to be completed through dictation.

I was thinking of starting in Book 1. We are using R&S reading/spelling and he seems to read slightly above level, but his spelling is not good.

Thank you for the heads up on the TM.

I am using it for spelling for my 12 year olds. We just started it a few months ago. As we get further into the program, I expect to use it for a bit of remedial phonics as well. I see that my girls do not get spelling because they are missing some of the phonic rules, so that is the cross over for me.

Thank you,

Spelling is our ds problem, but I was thinking sometimes we could use some extra phonics rules .

Is he a natural speller?

Ish... it's not a problem subject for her. MegaWords can be used as a remedial program by focusing on core words from each list, but these words make up only a small portion of the lists. :001_smile: Aside from the spelling, MegaWords has been a big help with the occasional misplaced stress, a common problem with advanced readers.

I have used it since my oldest was in fourth grade, and then subsequently with my other children as well. We do phonics (including ETC), copywork, and dictation through third grade. And then start Megawords in fourth grade (or late third grade) for review and basic spelling. My children are natural spellers for the most part but I think it's good to have a solid spelling curriculum. This is great for largely independent work.

Ish... it's not a problem subject for her. MegaWords can be used as a remedial program by focusing on core words from each list, but these words make up only a small portion of the lists. :001_smile: Aside from the spelling, MegaWords has been a big help with the occasional misplaced stress, a common problem with advanced readers.

Do you mean misplaced stress when trying to spell?

Thank you

Do you mean misplaced stress when trying to spell?

Thank you

No, pronunciation. It was no longer even an occasional issue after the first couple books.