Menu

Baby names :)

Can a gentile use Hadassah?  

1. 1. Can a gentile use Hadassah?

• Yes!
    • No, better not.
    • No, it's a terrible name
    • Other.

Thinking about baby names again. So, a poll question, is Hadassah ok for a non-jew to use? DH has wanted the name the last two times, but I wouldn't let him. I had a reletive named Hattie and it reminded me of that. (never liked Hattie) Well, after we brought home, I had a sudden sad feelin that I would never get to use the name. :confused: Now that I'm pregnant again, I'd like to use it. (assuming we're having a girl. I *love* thr story of Esther, but have never liked the name Esther) Now dh says it's too jewish. Not in an antisemetic way, but in a we'd be imposters and it doesn't go with our non-jewish last name sort of way. Even as I type this, it seems rediculous. A lot of people use names that are from ethnicities that they are not. And it is a biblical name, even if not a common one. What do you all think? Ok?

And if you are jewish, I love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Scuff

I think it's fine for a non-Jew to use the name Hadassah.

However, I would assume a Hadassah was either Jewish or very conservative evangelical Christian. If you're neither, that might be irritating when meeting new people. And if your olders have common mainstream secular names, like Madison or Hunter, it would stand out a lot. If theirs are also kind of Old Testament style, I imagine it would be fine.

My boys are both named after Old Testament prophets.

We're Christians.

I never even considered the fact that they had 'Jewish' names until my fil referred to them as such. :glare:

We have close friends who are Christian who have a daughter named Hadassah.

I don't consider Hebrew names from the Old Testament to be 'Jewish'. Frankly, I think that's silly. Not silly that you're asking, but silly that anyone would care, I guess.