Menu

Green potatoes--I'm confused...

I have such a hard time determining whether my potatoes are too green to eat or not (or whether they're green at all, actually). They're not deep green, into the flesh or in spots. But when I scrape away the very top layer of skin, they seem to be ever so slightly, faintly green underneath. Or do they? Is that just the color they're supposed to be? Is it really yellow brown? Is it my imagination?

I read different accounts online too, so that doesn't help. Some resources say that you can just cut away the green. Some say that the green part is just chlorophyll, but its presence is the indicator that the whole potato had produced an unsafe amount of solanine, and you should toss it :willy_nilly:

Does anyone else struggle with this? How do you tell whether or not your potatoes are going green? What's your tolerance for this sort of thing?

My potato leek soup awaits your thoughts! :D

TIA!

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

Snopes says potatoes with green on them or sprouts contain poisen.

First, it says that you would have to eat over 4 pounds of green potatoes in ONE SITTING to become sick and then they say to toss any potatoes that have a greenish skin or are sprouting.

I still use them, removing the sprouts or greenish areas. I reckon it's like apple seeds. Sure, they are poisonous but the quantity is so low that it is no problem.

Pegasus

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

Snopes says potatoes with green on them or sprouts contain poisen.

Lovely.

I peel a little deeper to get rid of the green part and cook them anyway. For a while (a year or so), it seemed that 3/4 of every bag was green, some of them very green. I can't afford to throw away that much food. We're still alive, though I do get a lot of headaches....