Menu

Need website with student writing samples

You might want to do a google search for rated standardized exams. For instance, here is Oregon's 8th grade writing samples for their statewide test:

http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?=531

Has anyone else read through these samples? Is this truly a representation of 8th grade writing in public schools today? I wasn't impressed.

Has anyone else read through these samples? Is this truly a representation of 8th grade writing in public schools today? I wasn't impressed.

I just went and looked at a couple and only selected the "high" examples. Yikesters. I do NOT let my kids write like that. :tongue_smilie: "Well" and then spouting off at the mouth--that is the way I would mark that style of writing. They incorporate contractions, slang (let's see), weak sentence structure.....blech. I require my students to write formally and do accept any informal structure beyond the 3rd/4th grade level (definitely not from an 8th grader)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I just went and looked at a couple and only selected the "high" examples. Yikesters. I do NOT let my kids write like that. :tongue_smilie: "Well" and then spouting off at the mouth--that is the way I would mark that style of writing. They incorporate contractions, slang (let's see), weak sentence structure.....blech. I require my students to write formally and do accept any informal structure beyond the 3rd/4th grade level (definitely not from an 8th grader)

This was actually encouraged at my kids school to lend " interest". I had a long and not very productive conversation with the honor's English teacher about sentence fragments. I evidently don't understand " modern methodology".

This was actually encouraged at my kids school to lend " interest". I had a long and not very productive conversation with the honor's English teacher about sentence fragments. I evidently don't understand " modern methodology".

Obviously, I don't either. Interjecting slang and weak conversational tone do not add interest; they are simply poor excuses of academic writing and are easily addressed w/appropriate writing instruction.

All I can say is now it is completely evident to me why our oldest dd, my weakest writer and the one that I worried about writing at the college level, has made nothing but As in comp. If that is what schools are producing at the 8th grade level (I looked at the avg papers and they are representative of my 4th grade kids' writing that I critique w/them and make them re-write b/c I won't accept them as written), then public educational standards are even far more removed from my objectives than I thought. :tongue_smilie:

Academic excellence piques reader interest and respects the reader's time. I'll stick w/my own standards, thank you. :D

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Obviously, I don't either. Interjecting slang and weak conversational tone do not add interest; they are simply poor excuses of academic writing and are easily addressed w/appropriate writing instruction.

All I can say is now it is completely evident to me why our oldest dd, my weakest writer and the one that I worried about writing at the college level, has made nothing but As in comp. If that is what schools are producing at the 8th grade level (I looked at the avg papers and they are representative of my 4th grade kids' writing that I critique w/them and make them re-write b/c I won't accept them as written), then public educational standards are even far more removed from my objectives than I thought. :tongue_smilie:

Academic excellence piques reader interest and respects the reader's time. I'll stick w/my own standards, thank you. :D

:iagree:

Yes... That is absolutely typical writing.

I've taught 7th grade in "underperforming" low-income public schools and taught community college writing courses and that's about what you get... I'd imagine higher-income schools and private schools would do a lot better. I wouldn't exactly use the samples as a model of what to strive towards... more as reassurance that you're on the right track.