Menu

Math and a sensory child... recommendations.

Mynyel

My sensory girl could NOT handle MUS b/c she acted OCD with t he blocks--you can't learn math when you spend several minutes trying to get two blocks to line up perfectly on the squares and then one is bumped and you start all over again. :glare: She uses MEP (which incorporates movement & songs & physical activities, esp in Reception) and loves it, doing very well with it.

Well, I agree w/PP about the blocks, but we muddle through with c-rods anyway because ds needs them.

We try to meet the sensory-seeking in other ways, allowing ds to chew gum while we do math, sitting on this wiggle cushion so he gets sensory input while sitting, or putting a weighted lap pad on to still his legs. We also have some root herbs handy that are very strong smelling which seems to calm ds.

He has to learn math, so we just try to meet the sensory needs enough for him to sit still and learn it with whatever program I think works best with my teaching style.

I use RS with my ds who is now 8 and not quite as sensory seeking as he once was. The abacus is a bit problematic, he treats it like a tambourine.:lol: He's fine with all the other bits. He loves to pour the entire bag of tiles or tally sticks out from a great height before use though, but we get the job done and it is working very, very well for him.:001_smile:

Some things that I have used in the past. Note, these weren't things we did every single day.

Math hopscotch - placing +,-,x, and / questions inside the squares and having them call out the answer when they land on it.

Standing up and writing answers on the whiteboard or back door glass.

Jumping when giving answers to problems. (jumping 5 times if the answer is 5)...this became too time intensive once we started working with numbers above 20.

Using large items as manipulatives. These work well to get them up and moving their whole body.

When we were working on math facts I would write the problems on sticky notes (or just use the flashcards themselves) and stick them all over the room, on furniture, walls, lamps, etc. Dd would then race around the room gathering them as she answered.

Sometimes just changing location every 10 minutes or so would help, or letting her rollerskate or ride a small bike around the dining room\kitchen while I called out practice problems.

I could never get around needing her to stay still while I was giving instruction on a new concept but I tried to always teach with manipulatives (not just purchased ones...we used lots of everyday objects as well) so she could be moving her hands at least, or we would stand at the back door while I wrote on the glass. Her wiggling while standing wasn't as annoying as when we were sitting down for some reason.:tongue_smilie:

Good luck!