Menu

RC History and other Catholic History books

kandty

I ran across this resource at RC History while I was checking out Connecting With History. http://www.rchistory.com/american-history/ I bought it and it looks like a good resource to put together my own study of American History. Can anyone give me some reviews of the books they list as spines? I have boys that will be grades 3rd & 6th grade.

From Sea to Shinning Sea-I've had this book on my wishlist, so I think I we will enjoy it. http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_167&products_id=469

Our Pioneer and Patriots by Furlong http://www.rchistory.com/our-pioneers-and-patriots/

Reader's Guide to American History http://www.rchistory.com/readers-guide-to-american-history/

I have not used those particularly. The Readers' Guide to Am. History is published by Memoria Press. I've heard good things about it. We've used a different Catholic Schools Textbook. They are very wel done. I'm planning to get FStSS for my 3rd and 5th graders for next year. I might just buy the fifth grade lesson plans from CHC for their history plans.

Both of my girls have been through "From Sea to Shining Sea" and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's interesting, well-written, and colorful.

My younger daughter used the Furlong book for a while before switching into Sea to Shining sea, and honestly, I wasn't that crazy about it. We found it a bit dry, and it doesn't cover modern American history.

We have the Reader's Guide also, and it's a decent enough reference, but we never used it much. I probably wouldn't buy it again.

I have not used those particularly. The Readers' Guide to Am. History is published by Memoria Press. I've heard good things about it. We've used a different Catholic Schools Textbook. They are very wel done. I'm planning to get FStSS for my 3rd and 5th graders for next year. I might just buy the fifth grade lesson plans from CHC for their history plans.

I was thinking of getting the CHC lesson plans too since they are under $30. Hopefully that would save me time in planning.

I was thinking of getting the CHC lesson plans too since they are under $30. Hopefully that would save me time in planning.

After days of mental torture, I am leaning toward FStSS for 5th grade history. Someone on this forum pointed me to the CHC lesson plans. The more I looked at CHC, the more intrigued I became in their lesson plans.

I already use F&L for religion, so that matches with their lesson plans. The previews of their 5th grade science looks good, so now that's tempting me too. Once I do their science, history, and religion, it seems like I should throw in Language of God as a supplement to our dictation based spelling and grammar. I read over and over that CHC is "light," but it doesn't seem too light for me. And, if they are light, that's perfect since I already have meaty programs for math and writing.

We used From Sea to Shining Sea as our "spine" for American History and really enjoyed it. Yes, it's a textbook but it reads like a narrative.

I'm planning on using Light Unto the Nations when we re-start the cycle. Next year we're doing World Geography and I haven't yet decided whether to get All Ye Lands. It looks more of a non-Western history book than geography but OTOH, I do want to support the CSTBP in its mission to develop good Catholic materials.

We used From Sea to Shining Sea as our "spine" for American History and really enjoyed it. Yes, it's a textbook but it reads like a narrative.

I'm planning on using Light Unto the Nations when we re-start the cycle. Next year we're doing World Geography and I haven't yet decided whether to get All Ye Lands. It looks more of a non-Western history book than geography but OTOH, I do want to support the CSTBP in its mission to develop good Catholic materials.

I bough the All Ye Lands book to use this current school year, but I talked myself out of it. I've looked throught it many times, but I haven't taken the time to read much of it. It is more history. It does have a chapter on geography terms. If you have any specific questions about it, just pm me and I will get mine out and see what I can find.

Right now I am thinking we will just go into Light Unto the Nations after our year of American History. I am really wondering what the difference between AYL and LUTN. :confused: But, I guess that doesn't matter too much this year.

After days of mental torture, I am leaning toward FStSS for 5th grade history. Someone on this forum pointed me to the CHC lesson plans. The more I looked at CHC, the more intrigued I became in their lesson plans.

I already use F&L for religion, so that matches with their lesson plans. The previews of their 5th grade science looks good, so now that's tempting me too. Once I do their science, history, and religion, it seems like I should throw in Language of God as a supplement to our dictation based spelling and grammar. I read over and over that CHC is "light," but it doesn't seem too light for me. And, if they are light, that's perfect since I already have meaty programs for math and writing.

Our first year homeschooling we used CHC completely except for math. I really like the program! We have used bits and pieces of it the past few years. I love the science and mad I didn't get the Behold and See 5 this year. I think we are going to use it next year unless the 6 comes out first. The religion plans are good! The history/social studies are my least favorite. I really needed more guidance for some years of those, but some where a good fit. I now know where to go to get supplements for that area, but our first couple years I was clueless and didn't have this forum. I have mixed reviews on the Language of God. I like the second grade book, can't remember if we used the 3rd or 4th, but the 5th grade one makes my head hurt. It feels a little unorganized to me and some of the examples are bad and my Ds doesn't understand it. The spelling program is ok. Works good for my natural speller but not good for my struggling speller. I has a little too much "busy" work for my taste. I recommend CHC! They have a new catalog out on their website. I just spent a couple of hours making my wishlist this evening. :tongue_smilie:

I bough the All Ye Lands book to use this current school year, but I talked myself out of it. I've looked throught it many times, but I haven't taken the time to read much of it. It is more history. It does have a chapter on geography terms. If you have any specific questions about it, just pm me and I will get mine out and see what I can find.

Right now I am thinking we will just go into Light Unto the Nations after our year of American History. I am really wondering what the difference between AYL and LUTN. :confused: But, I guess that doesn't matter too much this year.

AYL is a survey by country and not exclusively chronological. It goes from the beginning until the end of the middle ages. LTN begins with the birth of Christ and goes up through Modern era, in two volumes. LTN is very detailed, much more so than AYL. It incorporates detailed political and church history, with a strong analysis of the issues and philosophies of the time.

The part I think is "light" is their language and spelling stuff. Maybe also literature in some grades. We used the fifth grade speller when my oldest was in 4th grade. It had easy three letter words and usually he rolled his eyes and asked if I was joking. Language of God seemed disjointed and there was no retention. The saint stories they have for reading comprehension are beautifully written, but there is no particular inclusion of any great literature.

Light to the Nations is excellent. We've used it as the main text for my son this year for the Middle Ages. It took forever to write my lesson plans, but it was worth it, because my son has told me this was best history year yet and LttN his favorite history book yet.