Menu

help me finally understand lapbooking

triadofchaos

does anyone use lapbooking as a tool here? there is a fantastic exhibit at our natural science museum this summer and i was thinking of doing a unit study on it. someone somewhere else suggested lapbooking as part of our unti study, but for some reason, i have yet to be able to really get my head around what lapbooking is and how to do it. can someone help me out or point me to some links to get me going in the right direction?

You know those science fair displays, where you attach tidbits of information on that giant fold up board? Lapbooking is like that but on a smaller scale. We use it a fair amount because it is fun. You can check out my blog, I have some samples of our lapbooks, (I haven't been posting on it for a while, so nothing really recent) it's http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/swellmomma you'll have to go back a ways, because I have not posted our recent ones.

ETA there is several lapbooking groups on yahoo, also you can buy kits where all you do is cut out the mini book, fill in the info and glue into the books, this is the stuff I general use, takes the guess work out I buy from hands of a child, or from currclick, since they carry lapbooks from several companies.

someone somewhere else suggested lapbooking as part of our unti study, but for some reason, i have yet to be able to really get my head around what lapbooking is and how to do it.

What made it finally click for me was this video on YouTube.

There are two levels of DIY with lapbooking. Some folks design their own folding, flapping minibooks with the information from their unit study. Others buy kits that explain what information to put on the minibooks and how to fold them.

I use them as an alternative to narration after my children read something I want them to recall, and I have been designing my own a lot. I'm not opposed to using a kit. I just haven't found any that are focused around living books at my kids' levels.

Sure . We love lapbooking . Its a huge thing here in my house now :>) For years I over looked it thinking it would be too time consuming . But it can be as time consuming as you want it to be :>)

Here are some great links that I use :

www.lapbooklessons.com

www.squido.com/lapbooking

Some free lapbooks

www.homeschoolshare.com

www.homeschoolhelperonline.com

www.lapbookladies.com

Books I recommend

The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook

Dinah Zikes Big Book of Books and Activities

Dinah Zikes Big Book of Projects

There are lots of lapbooks you can purchase online too :

www.currclick.com

www.handsofachild.com

www.lapbookforcatholics ( not sure if you are but I typed this for anyone else who is interested )

and I'm sure there are more . I just don't know them all yet. I'm sure you can purchase lapbook items from

www.tobinslab.com

and rainbow resource ( www.rainbowresource.com )

Those are just somethings to get you started and I'm sure the other moms here can share more links with you too :>)

You can also see some of our lapbooks on our blog www.thereedfamily-blog.blogspot.com

We do lapbooking. We're doing lit lapbooks for the local library teen reading discussion group books right now. We did one for Prince Caspian when the children read the book and before they saw the movie. Lapbooks can be very flexible and as intricate or simple as you want them to be. :)

I just want to add--

Someone once described lapbooking to me as a "visual outline." You choose each book you do based on the information it will contain. So, if, for example, you want to do the 3 parts of the sun, you would choose a mini book that contains 3 parts--perhaps a shutter fold, for instance. The section of the lapbook is like the I, II, III parts of an outline. The titles of the minibooks are like the A,B,C of an outline. And, the number of folds (sections) of the minibooks organize the info inside into the 1,2,3 and a,b,c of an outline.

So,

The Title is the title of the whole lapbook.

Dogs, for example. This goes on the outside of the large file folder.

The books inside divide the topic of Dog further. Then the info inside those minibooks divides it further. So a simple lapbook on Dogs may follow this (a shaky example, but fwiw...)

Dogs

I. Breeds (a minibook with say, 8 pages or 8 tabs, with a breed on each page or tab--maybe a sticker picture or a drawing of the breeds)

II. Anatomy (a minibook or a picture of the anatomy of a dog)

III. Food (a list of foods dogs eat, or a little envelope of labels from dog food, for example)

IV. Jobs Dogs Can Do (a circle spinner book showing several dog jobs--seeing eye, police, companion, drug dog, etc.)

That's just a super, super simple example.

You don't have to follow the outline idea--you can simply make whatever book you want to, and insert the information. But I think it looks neat and makes more visual sense to use the different books this way.

Someone once described lapbooking to me as a "visual outline."

Wow Chris, that's a super way to explain it simply. We've done some lapbooks here, but I think thinking about them like that makes planning what to put into them much simpler. Thanks!

Amanda

Is the general idea that you take a week or more to complete a lapbook? The time or two we tried it we were trying to get it all done in a day, which was just overwhelming; but then because they were very specialized topics, it didn't seem like it was "worth it" to spend days and days, kwim? How do you schedule your lapbooks?

While I loved lapbooking, dd didn't take to it--her comment was, "oh I don't have to make another one of those little books, do I?"

We just did one on the Moon, but I had to redo it because I made a mistake in gluing something--arrgh!

So, it's good if the topic is broad enough to have several days worth of components--some people do super-duper ones, others are simpler. Depends on the depth you want.

But not in one day. Ever! lol

• 2 weeks later...