Menu

Please tell me about Mapping the World by Heart

I'm seriously considering Mapping the World by Heart (MTWBH) for dd next year in 8th grade. We did part of Runkle's geography this year, but it ended up being a bust for us....so then I learned about MTWBH and it sounds awesome! This is really more like what I had in mind for dd when I chose the Runkle program. So anyway, here I am at the crossroads again...

If you've used this curriculum, would you mind sharing with me about it? I know it was designed for classroom use, but the website says it can be adapted to hs. That's good to know, but how would it be for an only? I'd also like to know how it is scheduled out. Do you do geography more than 3x per week?

I've love to get input, pros & cons, suggestions -- anything.

Thanks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I don't have MTWBH, but have read mixed reviews about it. However, I borrowed Visualize World Geography from our co-op and I'm truly amazed! We have been watching the videos and in just a few hours, all of us, including yours truly who's terrible at geography, can identify any country on a map and visualize where it is if we don't have a map. We are strong visual/auditory learners here, but I think it would appeal to all learning types. It's more expensive than MTWBH, but I would not hesitate to pay the price for it.

HTH,

Rene

I don't have the newer version, so maybe they have added some bells and whistles, but...

Especially considering the price, I think it's something you can do on your own. I know I posted a big description of how to do this a year or two ago, but I can't find it. Basically, you move through the world systematically, tracing and then drawing the countries and labeling them and learning the major land/water forms and the capitals. I also found their lists outdated (not sure if that is fixed in the newer edition.)

My older two did this a few years ago, and by the end, they could indeed take a giant sheet of paper and draw the world, labeling each country and most of the capitals and many other features. It has proven useful time and time again, and they often help dh or I fill in geography knowledge during conversations. :blushing: My little guy is working on it now. :001_smile:

I wasn't impressed AT ALL. Really, I was horrified that it was considered a "curriculum" at all. The idea seems to be that you say, "Hey, kids, go draw the world!" Maybe you say "Go draw Brazil" first, and then "Okay, go draw South America", but there's little direction (for teacher or student)... You do get a list of features to include (cities, rivers, etc), but ... Really?!?

Granted, I wasn't looking at the most recent version. If the entire philosophy has changed, it might be worthwhile.

On the other hand, I can highly recommend Ellen J McHenry's Mapping the World with Art as a starting point for this type of project. I think her dvds (or step-by-step instructions in the book, if you prefer) are fabulous. Full of good mnemonic ideas and observations, very useable by parents and teachers. And after working through it, you'll have a good idea of how to approach learning to draw additional maps on your own (a skill you're simply supposed to invent for yourself with by Heart)...

Especially considering the price, I think it's something you can do on your own. I know I posted a big description of how to do this a year or two ago, but I can't find it.

:001_smile:

Is this it? Or this?

This too? I haven't found a longer post yet, but these are very descriptive and may be the description you are mentioning.

I don't have MTWBH, but have read mixed reviews about it. However, I borrowed Visualize World Geography from our co-op and I'm truly amazed! We have been watching the videos and in just a few hours, all of us, including yours truly who's terrible at geography, can identify any country on a map and visualize where it is if we don't have a map. We are strong visual/auditory learners here, but I think it would appeal to all learning types. It's more expensive than MTWBH, but I would not hesitate to pay the price for it.

HTH,

Rene

It looks wonderful, Rene, but I could not afford to pay (or even justify paying) $175 for a geography program for one student. If I could find a reasonably priced used set, then I'd be interested for sure.

I don't have the newer version, so maybe they have added some bells and whistles, but...

Especially considering the price, I think it's something you can do on your own. I know I posted a big description of how to do this a year or two ago, but I can't find it. Basically, you move through the world systematically, tracing and then drawing the countries and labeling them and learning the major land/water forms and the capitals. I also found their lists outdated (not sure if that is fixed in the newer edition.)

My older two did this a few years ago, and by the end, they could indeed take a giant sheet of paper and draw the world, labeling each country and most of the capitals and many other features. It has proven useful time and time again, and they often help dh or I fill in geography knowledge during conversations. :blushing: My little guy is working on it now. :001_smile:

According to the video I've watched and also what the website says, they are on their 9th edition of the program and is supposed to include updated lists of all the countries. What version have you used?

Also look at Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry.

http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/Mapping-the-World-with-Art_c16.htm

This also looks good, but it has much more than I really need for my upcoming 8th grade student. My main intent and purpose is the geography.

Thanks everyone! I am still considering what to do, but your input has been very helpful.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I wasn't impressed AT ALL. Really, I was horrified that it was considered a "curriculum" at all. The idea seems to be that you say, "Hey, kids, go draw the world!" Maybe you say "Go draw Brazil" first, and then "Okay, go draw South America", but there's little direction (for teacher or student)... You do get a list of features to include (cities, rivers, etc), but ... Really?!?

That was my impression, too. For that much money, there should have been a lot more to it. It was still pretty much up to the teacher to do all the planning. It didn't seem to fit any market well. If you can do that much on your own, you don't need it anyway. And if you can't do that much on your own, you should spend just a little more and find something that really gives you details.