Menu

FB privacy - would this work?

I don't have FB, but someone sent me this blurb that one of her friends posted, wondering about it.

Would this work? Or is there a better way to keep things private with the latest system?

<<Hi everyone! As you all know, I like to keep my FB private except to those I am friends with. So if you all would do the following, I'd appreciate it. With the new FB TIMELINE on its way for EVERYONE. . . please do both of us a favor: Hover over my name above. In a few seconds you'll see a box that says "Subscribed". Hover over that, then go to "Comments and Likes" and un-click it. That will stop all of our posts showing up on the side bar for strangers to see. But most important, it limits hackers from invading our profiles. If you re-post this I will do the same for you. You'll know I've acknowledged you, because if you tell me that you've done it, I'll "like" it. Thank you>>

I have accepted that there really is NO privacy when it comes to Google and FB and and Yahoo too really. There are extremely few sites that I go to that don't have either my yahoo profile picture labled KidsHappen or my FB profile pciture with my real name (I having a really hard time changing this) somewhere on the site. It is all linked and since I don't even understand how it is all linked it really is beyond my ability to unlink and completely privatize it. It is just the price you pay for using these sites and only you can decide if it is worth the risk. My hubby works in IT security and while we can secure our home computers and phones, we cannot secure our information. It is already out there in the internet world and nothing ever dies there. Once it gets out there, it is there forever and while theoretically you could remove it if you found it, it is practically impossible to search the entire internet for where your info maybe hiding.

Finally, all of the information is not even correct. Years ago when I changed my email address from comcast to yahoo, Paypal would not let me change my acct. email address because according to them someone else already owned my email address. Clearly this is not the case. I assume that the someone was me and that I had previously used this email address on this site so I asked them to send me my password. Well, we could never get this to happen and I could never access the site with my new email address so I used my previous one and removed all sources of money and closed my acct. Since then I have tried to access the acct. using both my old and new info and it tells me there is no such acct. and yet there are several sites that ask me if I know that I have a Paypal acct. everytime I go there. :glare:

No. That's a hoax. Check out the Snopes explanation.

Especially:

If you want to stop strangers from seeing everything you do, you and your friends need to change your privacy settings to "friends" or custom lists.

Thanks everyone!

So... do you think I should make a FB account or not? Dh has one so that's been nice to keep in touch with a bunch of old friends that we have in common.

It seems FB is constantly changing; it's hard to keep up with everything.

It's frustrating that some sites like Pinterest require a FB account. Dh doesn't want to mess with that. But I probably can't stay too anonymous since I have a google account and paypal and whatever else I hear mysteriously associates with FB.

I love FB, but I am working to get all my photos off. I should have been posting and then putting them on my own hard drive. I wish there was an easier way to remove whole albums without having to right click every single photo. I don't mind putting them on for a day or so to share, but I am starting not to want them there for all time.

I love FB, but I am working to get all my photos off. I should have been posting and then putting them on my own hard drive. I wish there was an easier way to remove whole albums without having to right click every single photo. I don't mind putting them on for a day or so to share, but I am starting not to want them there for all time.
Have you seen this?

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/02/nearly-3-years-later-deleted-facebook-photos-are-still-online.ars

Facebook is still working on deleting photos from its servers in a timely manner nearly three years after Ars first brought attention to the topic. The company admitted on Friday that its older systems for storing uploaded content "did not always delete images from content delivery networks in a reasonable period of time even though they were immediately removed from the site," but said it's currently finishing up a newer system that makes the process much quicker. In the meantime, photos that users thought they "deleted" from the social network months or even years ago remain accessible via direct link.

I'm assuming you're attempting to keep your comments/likes out of others' feeds on the right ticker. The only way to prevent this is to not comment on your friends' statuses, nor click "like."

(And hi there!)

Hi, Day!

Well, I am pretty clueless about FB. I don't have an account and while sometimes I think I should have one, a lot of times I think I'm better off not messing with it! LOL (I was asking about this for a friend).