Menu

::Deep breath:: Thoughts on entering 9th grade now.

. . . as in going to school for the first time THIS month?

My 9th grader wants to go to High School. She's wanted to for a while and we've put it off. We've given her the go-ahead for 10th grade. Now I'm wondering if NOW might be better. It would get all of the hassle and confusion out of the way this year and let her begin next year (or not) with a real knowledge of what she's in for.

I'd rather she decide not to go at all, but that's more of an emotional reaction. Intellectually, I believe she's ready. She wants the full experience which could include theater and cheerleading. In my day, try-outs and auditions happened the year before. As much as I prefer to homeschool, I don't want to set her up for failure.

Our neighborhood high school is NOT one of the top ones in our county, but our county is sought after for it's schools, so there are no horrific or dangerous ones in the mix. It's the smallest school at around 1000 students. Also, it's a block from our house, so her attending won't interfere with her brother's homeschooling events.

My daughter is bright and funny. She's socially adept, but not remotely afraid of speaking her mind or being different. I THINK she's up for it. I THINK she's ready. I'm wondering if it was a big mistake on my part to not start her at the beginning of the year. What does the hive think?

I think you should call your school district and see what the difference in requirements would be in sending her now vs 10th grade. I don't know anyone who has started mid-year 9th grade. But I do know a couple of families who put their dc in public school in an upper grade and the dc had to take and pass the end-of-course exams in the core classes in order to get credit.

of starting now rather than in the fall. It seems to me that the one you mentioned... "seeing what she is in for" can't be the only pro, cause that's not much of a pro.

One of my sons is going to start school in the fall. That will be 9th grade. I agree that starting in 9th is preferable to starting in 10th for a 4 year high school. But that ship sailed 6 months ago. What are the things that make you want to transfer mid year? Are you having a lot of conflict? Worries about her course work? Boredom? Is she interested in spring sports? Do you want the four years of transcript? I generally would favor finishing any school year where you started, but obviously circumstances could make that not a good option.

of starting now rather than in the fall. It seems to me that the one you mentioned... "seeing what she is in for" can't be the only pro, cause that's not much of a pro.

One of my sons is going to start school in the fall. That will be 9th grade. I agree that starting in 9th is preferable to starting in 10th for a 4 year high school. But that ship sailed 6 months ago. What are the things that make you want to transfer mid year? Are you having a lot of conflict? Worries about her course work? Boredom? Is she interested in spring sports? Do you want the four years of transcript? I generally would favor finishing any school year where you started, but obviously circumstances could make that not a good option.

Pros:

-Schools run late here and they're really just beginning second semester.

-Get used to any stylistic differences now.

-Go through standardized testing with the rest of the 9th grade.

-Any unforeseen issues can be dealt with over the summer.

-Be available for any situation where NEXT year's teams/clubs are chosen/formed this year.

-4 years of transcript if she loves it and stays.

-We're outsourcing most of her classes. Might as well do them for free a block away:glare:

We don't have a lot of conflict with her. She's a good kid and was ready to try this a year ago, but "I" wasn't there yet and that was probably a mistake. Her 11-year-old brother is becoming increasingly disabled. This is the first year his disabilities have put real restrictions on how we can go and move. I don't want her world to shrink because it's getting harder and harder to get out of the house.

I SHOULD have done this at the beginning of the year, but a giant tree fell on our house in the early fall and I couldn't see past picking up those pieces and trying to maintain our ordinary routine. Our temporary apartment is in a different school district than our house.

If you are still in the temp and are planning to move back into the house, I would wait for that to happen.

But it's a city disguised as a suburb. These two high schools are only about 4 miles apart. I'm just going to proceed with the paperwork and not mention the temp. They're asking for a deed and current power bill from the house and I HAVE those.

My new hurdle is having the registrar call me back and tell me what classes they would place her in and if they have an issue accepting her first semester credits. Oh bureaucracy, how I've missed you.