Menu

If you setting up a homeschool room for the first time...

what would you do to make it perfect for you and your children?

We're moving (:hurray:) to a home where we'll have a two rooms available for a homeschool space as well as for a library. What could be done to make the homeschool room comfortable and conducive to learning/working? The homeschool room will also need to be a spare bedroom (not frequently used: 3-6x a year), so I'm considering a sleeper-sofa as a reasonable way to meet both needs.

Things I'm wondering about - individual desks or a larger table? TV in room, or just use laptop as needed? Perhaps a space for a chalkboard, or even a section of wall painted with chalkboard paint? With three children at very different levels, how does one make this a one-size-fits-all area? I don't think we'll always be confined to the room, of course, but I've learned that we do need a sort of designated area where we can count on doing our work without shifting things around for other needs (like in our current "school" space: the kitchen table). Do the brightly colored rooms (like in primary grade classrooms) help or hinder, or is it simply personal preference? (If it matters, my children are 13, 10, and 7, and we'll be homeschooling for the foreseeable future. :))

If you have a designated schoolroom, what do you love about it, and what do you wish you could change? If you don't yet have a schoolroom, what do you think you'd really want to have (or avoid)? I know this is largely personal, but I'm asking the experts because, despite schooling for over four years, this is the first time I'll have an actual room (two! :svengo:) to set aside as a school area.

Well first if you oldest is 13, you need to fix your sig. :) It still says 12.

I think you sort of need to know your kids. I have one big table in ours. My oldest (17) does everything at that table for her home classes. Even reading novels. My middle (14) does nothing at that table. I swear the only time she actually sits at that table is when we have someone over for dinner. She does her work at the kitchen table or in her room. My youngest (11) does his work everywhere - school table, kitchen table, upside down on a chair.

In our school room I have 3 bookcases, a table big enough for all 4 of us to sit and a loveseat size couch (which no one uses). The room is also used for eating when we have other families over for dinner. School stuff gets pushed to the side or off the table. If we moved while still homeschool, I'd probably set it up the same way.

Wow, you must be so excited! Here's my 2 cents:

The sleeper-sofa is a great idea. Snuggle time during read-alouds is the best part of homeschooling.

We prefer 1 large folding table to several desks. As a bonus it can be brought down for Thanksgiving and other large dinner parties.

I use our laptop instead of a TV in the school room. The laptop is already there and it can be used for online programs like Veritas, etc.

I prefer white boards to chalk boards, specifically because I need a wide variety of marker colors when teaching place value in long division etc.

My favorite classroom color is a buttery yellow. It is bright and cheerful, but not overwhelming. I also try to keep the Stuff-Hanging-On-The-Wall to a bare minimum. Our room gets cluttered enough with normal use. Extra stuff just makes it look messy.

Don't forget sturdy bookshelves. Even though you will have a separate library, you will still have materials you will use every day. My favorite shelves have cabinet doors on the bottom to hide art supplies, science materials, etc.

Edited by LibertyH

If I had two rooms available for schoolwork, I would make one useful for loud activities and the other for quiet study time. I'd put a sofa (or sofa bed) for read alouds and a large table for group activities and teaching time in the first room with a white board on the wall. Whether or not that room had a tv would depend on how much work is done by dvd. I only use one program that has dvds and we just go in the living room for that. If I did more dvd classes, then yes, I would put a tv in there. The small room would have individual desks and a couple of comfy chairs. I have no idea what colors are best for learning, but I agree with pp that buttery yellow is a great color.

Which ever way you go, I'd start with work surfaces. We've previously used a large (former dining) table and now two desk butted together. Ds is neater than me and he likes the division. I also like plenty of space to spread out for each student.

Then I would address storage. Bookcases, cubbies, etc.

As far as decor we've always veered away from traditional schoolish decor and made it our own. You can see current pictures in my profile (a work in progress). I prefer the classroom look like it belongs to the house, so it's the same floor and wall color and warmer color tones.

I let ds have a lot of say in arrangement and decor. It makes a better working environment if he feels some ownership of the room.

Put as much behind doors as possible. Less really IS more so less visual clutter and things to stare at really helps (It helps me when I'm trying to focus on something anyway.). I'd even go so far as to put items not currently in use in cold storage elsewhere--even if you do have plenty of space for it.

Some school rooms I've seen photos of on blogs etc. really make me hyperventilate. Floor to ceiling books and plastic storage thingies on every available wall, posters everywhere. :svengo: (I'm an allergy sufferer though, so that's my perspective...)

(Off to update MY sig now as my oldest just had a birthday. :tongue_smilie:)

We converted our playroom into a school room over winter break, and it's been one of the best homeschooling decisions we've made. For our kids, a table wouldn't work. DS is not only highly destractable, but he destracts his sister as well. We got them separate desks, separated by bookshelves between them. We have a sleeper sofa in there for guests and for some of our school work. I also have a little sewing table in there where we put the lap top for spelling and such. One one, big wall we have history timelines, which I've wanted forever, but we literally had no wall space for one in the open-concept dining room where we used to do school. We also have a world map on another wall. Most of our supplies are on shelves in the closet so they're not out, cluttering the room. I do wish the room was bigger and we had more space to add a white board and a little reading nook, but that's my only complaint.

We didn't repaint the room. It's a light green -a peaceful, serene color.

The school room has helped keep DS a bit more focused on school. There is a separation now between home and school that is more visual and concrete for him. My stress level has also reduced because when we're done for the day, I shut the door and don't have to think about it anymore. Before our school room, the dining room would be trashed by the end of the day, and I'd be stressed out looking at all their school stuff thinking about what we didn't accomplish and what needed to be done the following day. I can turn that off now.

The sleeper-sofa is a great idea. Snuggle time during read-alouds is the best part of homeschooling.

We prefer 1 large folding table to several desks. As a bonus it can be brought down for Thanksgiving and other large dinner parties.

I use our laptop instead of a TV in the school room. The laptop is already there and it can be used for online programs like Veritas, etc.

I prefer white boards to chalk boards, specifically because I need a wide variety of marker colors when teaching place value in long division etc.

My favorite classroom color is a buttery yellow. It is bright and cheerful, but not overwhelming. I also try to keep the Stuff-Hanging-On-The-Wall to a bare minimum. Our room gets cluttered enough with normal use. Extra stuff just makes it look messy.

Don't forget sturdy bookshelves. Even though you will have a separate library, you will still have materials you will use every day. My favorite shelves have cabinet doors on the bottom to hide art supplies, science materials, etc.

:iagree: I would add a photocopier. Wireless is so helpful with laptops.

Store school supplies on the table top so your children don't have to get up and down all day. I used a cleaning caddy filled with pencils, scissors, stapler, hole punch, and tape.

Keep extra school supplies in an over the door shoe pocket organizer, like this:

http://abowlfulloflemons.blogspot.com/2012/01/over-door-school-supplies-organizer.html

My children had trouble focusing on their school work when that sat at a table all together so I ended up making partitions out of a tri-fold presentation board. I cut them in half which was the perfect height and let them decorate them. The best part was that the boards fold and store easily. Eventually, my children ended hs in separate rooms. I drove them crazy when I was talking and explaining things to one of them while the other two were trying to study. In those year I stayed at the table with my youngest on the other two had designated spots in another room.

Congrats on your new house. Enjoy the journey!

Well first if you oldest is 13, you need to fix your sig. :) It still says 12.

I think you sort of need to know your kids. I have one big table in ours. My oldest (17) does everything at that table for her home classes. Even reading novels. My middle (14) does nothing at that table. I swear the only time she actually sits at that table is when we have someone over for dinner. She does her work at the kitchen table or in her room. My youngest (11) does his work everywhere - school table, kitchen table, upside down on a chair.

Sig changed; thanks!!

You made a good point. And like you, I think I'll have a mix of preferences, so now I think perhaps a table that could accommodate all of us, plus perhaps a small single desk/individual "work station", as well as the sofa and the remaining options in the house....will all combine to give us the choices we'll need. There's also a closet in the basement (I think it was intended as a second laundry room, like for an in-law suite in the basement); maybe setting this up as an office/study carrel/quiet workspace would be a good idea, too.

I am so excited, yes! I like the idea of a folding table, which will also be easier to put away if we have guests. Definitely think a comfy sofa is important; when I mentioned it to my son, he was most enthusiastic! We will definitely have some bookshelves in there; not sure how to arrange that, exactly, but some things should be kept in that room, I agree. :)

If I had two rooms available for schoolwork, I would make one useful for loud activities and the other for quiet study time. I'd put a sofa (or sofa bed) for read alouds and a large table for group activities and teaching time in the first room with a white board on the wall.

Oh! That's not something I'd considered! Hmmm, something to think about...

Which ever way you go, I'd start with work surfaces. We've previously used a large (former dining) table and now two desk butted together. Ds is neater than me and he likes the division. I also like plenty of space to spread out for each student.

Then I would address storage. Bookcases, cubbies, etc.

As far as decor we've always veered away from traditional schoolish decor and made it our own. You can see current pictures in my profile (a work in progress). I prefer the classroom look like it belongs to the house, so it's the same floor and wall color and warmer color tones.

I let ds have a lot of say in arrangement and decor. It makes a better working environment if he feels some ownership of the room.

Good advice - work surfaces first! Although I think I'd love the idea of four nice-sized desks, I'm not sure there'd be enough room (assuming we want to use the room as an occasional guest bedroom). However, I think the ability to spread out is really important, or at least it is for *me*. :)

I'm sure my children would appreciate some say in this, so I'll be sure to ask them, too. Also, I appreciate your mentioning the pictures in your profile; I like the warm look you have there, and I see what you mean about your son's "neat" preferences; I'm going out on a limb and saying that, at this point, NONE of mine show neatness tendencies. Alas. :tongue_smilie:

Put as much behind doors as possible. Less really IS more so less visual clutter and things to stare at really helps (It helps me when I'm trying to focus on something anyway.). I'd even go so far as to put items not currently in use in cold storage elsewhere--even if you do have plenty of space for it.

Some school rooms I've seen photos of on blogs etc. really make me hyperventilate. Floor to ceiling books and plastic storage thingies on every available wall, posters everywhere. :svengo: (I'm an allergy sufferer though, so that's my perspective...)

(Off to update MY sig now as my oldest just had a birthday. :tongue_smilie:)

YES! Mentally, *I* need less visual clutter; this room happens to have a small walk-in closet, so I'm going to check into some closet organizing systems and see how to set aside some space for guests, but utilize the rest for school. That's one reason why, although I LOVE books, I need them in a separate room. We will have plenty of storage space (probably the reason I love this house/property so much, even though the house itself is a simple ranch); there is also a huge metal outbuilding - too far for "school", but definitely great as a "warehouse" for some things! :)

Also, Happy Birthday to your ds; my son's birthday was last week. :D

We converted our playroom into a school room over winter break, and it's been one of the best homeschooling decisions we've made. For our kids, a table wouldn't work. DS is not only highly destractable, but he destracts his sister as well. We got them separate desks, separated by bookshelves between them. We have a sleeper sofa in there for guests and for some of our school work. I also have a little sewing table in there where we put the lap top for spelling and such. One one, big wall we have history timelines, which I've wanted forever, but we literally had no wall space for one in the open-concept dining room where we used to do school. We also have a world map on another wall. Most of our supplies are on shelves in the closet so they're not out, cluttering the room. I do wish the room was bigger and we had more space to add a white board and a little reading nook, but that's my only complaint.

We didn't repaint the room. It's a light green -a peaceful, serene color.

The school room has helped keep DS a bit more focused on school. There is a separation now between home and school that is more visual and concrete for him. My stress level has also reduced because when we're done for the day, I shut the door and don't have to think about it anymore. Before our school room, the dining room would be trashed by the end of the day, and I'd be stressed out looking at all their school stuff thinking about what we didn't accomplish and what needed to be done the following day. I can turn that off now.

Your room sounds lovely! And your comment about why having a room separate from the rest of the house is spot on for us; we are currently in a house with three bedrooms and one large great room - it's probably wonderful for a couple, but it's too small for us, and there are too many distractions from everything else - it's both too big/open and too limiting, and with minimal storage, it's been a challenge.

I'm still leaning toward having two small (perhaps wall-mounted) desks and a small table, which should give us the most options. I'll have another desk/shelf in the library, and possible a small study area around the corner, so perhaps it will work.

:iagree: I would add a photocopier. Wireless is so helpful with laptops.

Store school supplies on the table top so your children don't have to get up and down all day. I used a cleaning caddy filled with pencils, scissors, stapler, hole punch, and tape.

Keep extra school supplies in an over the door shoe pocket organizer, like this:

http://abowlfulloflemons.blogspot.com/2012/01/over-door-school-supplies-organizer.html

My children had trouble focusing on their school work when that sat at a table all together so I ended up making partitions out of a tri-fold presentation board. I cut them in half which was the perfect height and let them decorate them. The best part was that the boards fold and store easily. Eventually, my children ended hs in separate rooms. I drove them crazy when I was talking and explaining things to one of them while the other two were trying to study. In those year I stayed at the table with my youngest on the other two had designated spots in another room.

Congrats on your new house. Enjoy the journey!

We have a color printer/photocopier and a B&W laser printer. I might try to put those in the closet, too. We'll see. :)

I'll have some regularly used supplies on the table/desk; if I didn't *plan* to have them there, I know my children would quickly remedy the oversight. :)

I like that over-door organizer; thanks for the suggestion! I wouldn't be surprised if my three eventually spread out - ds's room is across from the HS room, the library is adjacent to his, and the little closet office space is just past that, so ...that's four locations within close proximity to the the homeschool room. As they get older, I suspect this will be modified a bit, but I love that the basement in this house is just perfectly set up to make this my dream homeschool situation!

Thanks to each of you who responded! I'm definitely going to enjoy this journey; the movers arrive in three weeks and that seems like both a very short period of time, and an eternity, to me. In one month, though, I should be in our new(to us) home and settling in. :001_wub: