Menu

Spelling within the WWE2 dictations

lewelma

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing a lack in spelling in this age! Did you just start WWE2 dictations? We are halfway through, and I noticed both of our girls' (2nd and 3rd grades) spelling has increased greatly. What we do is as they are writing, I can hear them whispering the words. If I can see they know which word is next (as in I'm not giving away the dictation), then I spell it for them. I let them ask me as much as they need. At first, honestly, it was every other word, but happily they are improving! :001_smile:

:bigear:

You could use AAS (for spelling & dictation) + MP copywork + subjects (for narration), instead of WWE. Or you could use WWE for your narrations, but use a spelling program that only requires the spelling of what has been explicitly taught. All About Spelling is great in this regard, because nothing is in the dictations that has not been explicitly taught in the spelling instruction. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

They are above 2nd grade level, I believe. You are supposed to help with spelling. I also point out any words I know will be troublesome during copywork, though as of yet, he hasn't gotten the clue to study those spellings, even when I flat out tell him to study them.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the replies. My son has mastered the phonics rules, but is not able to spell words he has not studied because of fear of failure. We will be switching to spelling through dictation this year and I am looking at WWE and Spelling Wisdom for ideas. I have yet to decide between cold dictation and studied dictation. much to ponder.

Ruth

I make sure she 'studies' the spelling of the dictation from the copywork the day before, ie if there are any words she thinks she'll have trouble with then to try and memorise them for the next day's dictation. But I have no problem helping her if she needs it - I use another program for spelling (Apples and Pears) so I'm not relying on WWE to teach my kids spelling.

:confused: I thought when doing WWE that you were supposed to spell the word for your child if they don't know how to spell it. Doesn't it say that in the "instructions"?

ETA: Okay, I found it! On Week 1, Day 3, the instructions say in the Tips for Teaching box, "If the student asks you how to spell a word, tell him; this is not a spelling exercise."

Edited by pw23kids

"If the student asks you how to spell a word, tell him; this is not a spelling exercise."

Yes, I have seen this, but I assumed that it meant just an occasional word, not many in each sentence.

I am also interested in using dictation as spelling instruction, so I might not be using WWE as written - but this is a standard failing of mine for most curriculum.:lol:

Ruth in NZ

I would go over the words a couple of days before, and if they could be done the SWR way (which is how he learned to read), I would cue him. If I knew he would miss a word, and it couldn't be guided (i.e. "the next sound, ah, is the third sound of this vowel or I would give him the finger cues) I would just tell him.