Menu

Real Science 4 Kids/6th grade Chem.

breadnbutter

I'm planning for next year and thinking of going with Real Science 4 Kids for my then 6th (12yo) daughter. I looked through their Chem book and think it would be a good match for her. It also looks like it could be compatible with my ds 4th grader to use as well. However, the 10 week/one semester study is throwing me off a bit. We haven't officially done a chem program yet, so I feel like there's a lot she has to learn, so it's hard to believe we can study it all in a semester.

What have others of you done with RS4K? Option 1 is to try to stretch the program to a year by supplementing with other resources. But not even sure how to start that. Option 2 is to do Physics the second half, because we also haven't studied that either. Option 3 is to start my Chem curriculum search again :(

Anyone have ideas for me? I also liked the format of Real Science Odyssey Chemistry, but that's up to 4th grade, so it would be perfect for my son but probably not enough for my daughter.

Thanks!

Edited by breadnbutter
misspell

I used RS4K Chemistry with my DD when she was in late 3rd & early 4th. It was good, and she learned some basic chemistry terms & definitions, and it's sticking pretty well. The knowledge is really helping her as we move into biology.

However, it's definitely not a full-year program. We did the chapter & lab in one 1-2 hour session, once a week, and it took . . . 10 weeks. There isn't really a way to stretch it out without going outside the program.

That said, it would be perfectly feasible to do Level 1 Chemistry with a 4th and 6th grader one semester, and Level 1 Physics in another semester. I haven't used Physics, so can't speak to it specifically, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, and this level is definitely fine for both age kids, IMO.

We're doing the Astronomy book this year (6th grade). I agree that it is a bit hard to stretch it. And it is definitely not a year-long course. It also seems that it could be a bit more challenging for a 6th grader, but I do like the book (layout, basic material presented well).

What about doing it the first 10 weeks, then use something else after? Maybe the Konos Chem kits so you can do lots of experiments (since she'll have had the basics). Or biography of famous chemists, memory work with periodic table, etc.

We're going to do this free online program next year: http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

I chose that over the RS4K since I wasn't overly impressed with it for this age. I think it's probably better for 4th-5th grade. So for that reason, I don't think I'd pick doing 3 of the RS4K books in 6th grade. I'd pick one and then add some other material from other sources (DVDs, chem kits, books, etc.)

My ds is younger, so we are currently using the RS4K Pre-Levels. I ended up purchasing both chemistry and biology for this school year due to the length of each program. I am also adding in other books and videos to supplement and provide additional info on each unit covered in RS4K. Ds seems to enjoy it. The experiments have worked out o.k. and don't cost a lot of money for the materials.

We're doing the Astronomy book this year (6th grade). I agree that it is a bit hard to stretch it. And it is definitely not a year-long course. It also seems that it could be a bit more challenging for a 6th grader, but I do like the book (layout, basic material presented well).

What about doing it the first 10 weeks, then use something else after? Maybe the Konos Chem kits so you can do lots of experiments (since she'll have had the basics). Or biography of famous chemists, memory work with periodic table, etc.

We're going to do this free online program next year: http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

I chose that over the RS4K since I wasn't overly impressed with it for this age. I think it's probably better for 4th-5th grade. So for that reason, I don't think I'd pick doing 3 of the RS4K books in 6th grade. I'd pick one and then add some other material from other sources (DVDs, chem kits, books, etc.)

Thanks HeidiKC- that link is incredible, what a great free resource! That's my concern with RS4K- not as much there, esp. for the $$$. Although the early level may work for my 1st grader....hmmmm.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I would use it with Tiner's "Exploring the World of Chemistry" and possibly a book of extra chemistry experiments, pushing Tiner more for the 6th grader while allowing the 4th grader a little more time for the RS4K to sink it. And that would be one semester.

Doing physics for the second semester sounds like a great idea. I have the Tiner book about physics but have not used it. There is also a pretty good game for that age called "Power Surge" available from Lakeshore that would be good for physics supplementation.

Alternatively you move the 6th grader into Science Explorer while using RS4K for the 4th grader.

Thanks HeidiKC- that link is incredible, what a great free resource! That's my concern with RS4K- not as much there, esp. for the $$$. Although the early level may work for my 1st grader....hmmmm.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Oh, right - I forgot to add that I think it is WAY overpriced for what you get. As I said, I like it. But it's just not much material and especially not meaty enough for a 5th or 6th grader.

We are doing pre-level one bio right now. I am spreading it out. We spend 2 days a week and we take two weeks per chapter. We read, then study and memorize, test and do some of the.labs. we skipped the sorting and classifying labs. We will do all the microscope and animal study labs. I think my son is learning a lot of good Info. We will do all the prelevel 1 and level 1 books, then we will switch to something else. We will probably do level one as two a year for 4th and 5th grade.

They are coming out with a new set meant to be a full year course. I dont know when though.

I bought the text and KOGS only for my 11YO, as a supplement to NOEO. It makes a nice supplemental text for pretty much any program.

I will repeat the KOGS with my younger when he hits logic stage chem, but that time around I will skip the critical thinking book-- that one alone I felt was poorly executed (or else I failed to understand it).

As a reusable book (I got the PDF) the text only wasn't too bad in price?

Check out this free resource as well. I may still use this with my 6th grader this fall.

http://guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_chemistry/chemistrybooks.html Jennifer has some other great schedules here too.

*edited to add, this does schedule in RS4K Chemistry with other things.

Good luck,

Edited by Lucidity

I'm planning for next year and thinking of going with Real Science 4 Kids for my then 6th (12yo) daughter. I looked through their Chem book and think it would be a good match for her. It also looks like it could be compatible with my ds 4th grader to use as well. However, the 10 week/one semester study is throwing me off a bit. We haven't officially done a chem program yet, so I feel like there's a lot she has to learn, so it's hard to believe we can study it all in a semester.

What have others of you done with RS4K? Option 1 is to try to stretch the program to a year by supplementing with other resources. But not even sure how to start that. Option 2 is to do Physics the second half, because we also haven't studied that either. Option 3 is to start my Chem curriculum search again :(

Anyone have ideas for me? I also liked the format of Real Science Odyssey Chemistry, but that's up to 4th grade, so it would be perfect for my son but probably not enough for my daughter.

Thanks!

I haven't used the Chem yet but we are doing physics right now with my 12 yo, 8 yo and 7 yo. We love it! We didn't start until after Christmas break so we will just do the physics this year. Next year I am planning on using the Biology and Chemistry. This will leave us with a few weeks to do some other things such as projects etc.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Wow! Thank you! That guest hollow thread will give me a lot to chew on... And since science is the subject I feel weakest teaching-wise, the more that's done for me the better! (which is why Rs4K was appealing)

I'm not starting Chem til September, so I have some time to figure this all out decide. Thank you for all the ideas and links, just what I was looking for.

Thanks!

I love RS4K Chemistry. It's presented so clearly. A semester is a good time frame for completing the course, esp. if you're planning on adding in the KOGs. That gives you 2 weeks for every chapter.

Option 2 is good. Take 20 weeks or a bit longer to do Chem and then use the last trimester to complete Physics.

The study folders make for a good chapter review.