Menu

A bit concerned about how well she is doing...

AimeeM

I did something drastic. Every day was becoming a challenge with dd10, so I created a printed loop schedule, put it in front of a binder; in the binder (every week) I place a printed sheet with her assignments for that week, day 1 - day 4.

The goal was for her to do it independently (except science; I do that with her) and only come to me if she didn't understand something. We switched entirely to textbooks and workbooks (Seton, CLE math, etc).

Okay, so I had figured she would eventually become overwhelmed, realize her transgressions and beg me to go back to teaching her (vs her teaching herself). I didn't think it would last long and I envisioned a frustrated child begging me to please "come back". Lol.

... well...

It didn't work out that way. She is soaring with the independent work. She is proving she knows things I *never* knew SHE knew! The math she would get frustrated and cry over when I explained it; well, she reads an explanation in CLE once and she has it down cold. She only comes to me on the rare occasion that she encounters something she hasn't seen before (we only just started back with CLE and she didn't do the previous year, so we ran into a small geometry issue because they assumed it as review and it wasn't for us; again though, I tried explaining it and she became frustrated, said she would just "look it up", did so, and now she is fine with it).

I see her a few times a day when she pops in to ask a random question about something on an assignment. Other than that though, she is doing quite well without me :glare:. Okay, she's doing MUCH BETTER without me.

She is done with her schedule in about 3 hours. Sometimes 4 if she works ahead or lingers over science (a favorite).

Yes, she is retaining - we review on Fridays to make sure she understands and retains. The only thing she doesn't really retain is history (she hates it and has no interest in making it more interesting, lol); but then today she went back to re-read a chapter she had retained nothing of, took notes this time, and miraculously :glare: was able to give me a perfect summary (verbally) afterwards (something she wasn't able to do the first time she read it).

Do I just suck at this or what? She doesn't want me. I was doing more harm than good :confused:.

And really, is this a good thing or bad? She still eventually wants to transition back to Catholic school and, well, they don't work that way (hand the child a week's worth of assignments and leave them alone to teach themselves/complete the work). Beyond that, at the rate she is going, she will be ready for Algebra 1 in the fall. Whole new ball game. She will HAVE TO be willing to be "taught". She can't teach herself algebra. Right?

I would not worry about it.

My 10 yo DD is the same way. She is completely thriving with independent work and textbooks in a way that she never did with literature-based and teacher-directed. She does ask questions when she gets stuck, but honestly, we have finally found a way to make school less painful. She is learning, and we do discuss things. I give her a plan book, and I check in once a day for assignments and once a week for spot checks and grading. It is working very, very well for this child. And nothing else did.

As far as algebra goes, get a good textbook and look at things like Khan Academy, and teach her how to use it. She can always ask for help when she needs it. But for now, I would let her take the reigns, as long as you feel like she is learning and retaining.

I think this sounds awesome. I would be curious what parents with older children think though, but I can't really think of a down side. It seems like she is just a natural self-teacher. I would think that as long as she knows where to go when she needs help, and you are monitoring to make sure that she is in fact progressing, that this would work.

Who knows...maybe she will find excelling this well to be more up her alley than transitioning back into catholic school. But if she does want to go back to school-- she would just have to cross that bridge when she gets to it.

She can't teach herself algebra. Right?

AoPS is setup for self-teaching. :tongue_smilie:

Sounds like she does best reading to learn? I doubt that has anything to do with YOU per se. My son learns a lot more by reading than my me talking to him (though in math, he does well with me talking - he isn't as ready for reading to learn in math, but he's also younger). Even if I read the material to my son, it is sometimes in one ear and out the other, but if HE reads it, he understands it and retains it.

I wouldn't take it personally. I'll bet it's just a learning style issue. :)

I think this sounds awesome. I would be curious what parents with older children think though, but I can't really think of a down side. It seems like she is just a natural self-teacher. I would think that as long as she knows where to go when she needs help, and you are monitoring to make sure that she is in fact progressing, that this would work.

Who knows...maybe she will find excelling this well to be more up her alley than transitioning back into catholic school. But if she does want to go back to school-- she would just have to cross that bridge when she gets to it.

T and I do not think she will ever be well suited for brick and mortar. She just isn't that type of child. She is ahead in math (and would have to spend another 3 years in pre-algebra studies if she went back) but behind in writing (dyslexic).

She, however, very much ENJOYED Catholic school. I think that's the kicker. I just can't compete with the *ahem* social aspect that she unfortunately is already used to and loves.

I think it's fabulous! If you are missing "together" time, maybe you can do some projects or read-alouds? My ds did something similar. At first I was concerned that he couldn't do it, but he did. I just made more time for chatting and spending time together.

Actually, projects and read alouds were what created the initial "bust". She hated SOTW because of the activity book (she isn't one for guided projects and found it boring) and she simply doesn't learn or retain by being read to (nor does she find it enjoyable).

She does, however, love it when my pregnant butt waddles outside to play soccer with her. lol.

She, however, very much ENJOYED Catholic school. I think that's the kicker. I just can't compete with the *ahem* social aspect that she unfortunately is already used to and loves.

Maybe you can find a way to substitute some more social activities for her so she can still get those experiences but still get her education in a way that suits her.

Sports? Girl scouts? Volunteering somewhere? Are there local homeschool co-ops with other kids her age that you can try to utilize?

Maybe with an outlet like that your dd might happily stay homeschooling on her own accord.

I was in an all gifted and talented class in 4th and 5th grades (until we moved). This sounds very similar to what we did. We were just able to go at our own pace through the material and ask the teacher questions when we had them. I loved it and thrived on it. I say, if it's working, don't change it! Oh, and it shows that you were a really great teacher and mother if you produced a child able to work so independently. I second the opinion on AoPS. Check out the samples online. This might be just what you are looking for!

She hated SOTW because of the activity book (she isn't one for guided projects and found it boring) and she simply doesn't learn or retain by being read to (nor does she find it enjoyable).

You might try what I do - we have the audio book version of SOTW on DD's iPod. She listens to the chapter one day and then another day she reads the corresponding page in the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. That way she hears the correct pronunciation, learns to listen to lectures, and gets a visual aid to go with what she has studied.

Maybe you can find a way to substitute some more social activities for her so she can still get those experiences but still get her education in a way that suits her.

Sports? Girl scouts? Volunteering somewhere? Are there local homeschool co-ops with other kids her age that you can try to utilize?

Maybe with an outlet like that your dd might happily stay homeschooling on her own accord.

She's involved in local sports (soccer during the soccer seasons) and has the option of dance classes. She doesn't get anything socially out of them though; as most of the other girls involved know eachother from school and have pre-formed friendships (many are even in the same class at school!).

We do not allow girl scouts.

We do belong to a wonderful co-op but must wait until after flu season (our younger child has a lung disorder) to participate fully. I can't wait for that time to come! She really did enjoy it last season.

And really, is this a good thing or bad? She still eventually wants to transition back to Catholic school and, well, they don't work that way (hand the child a week's worth of assignments and leave them alone to teach themselves/complete the work). Beyond that, at the rate she is going, she will be ready for Algebra 1 in the fall. Whole new ball game. She will HAVE TO be willing to be "taught". She can't teach herself algebra. Right?

My second son did most of school this way from 2nd grade through high school. He actually did teach himself high school math, from Algebra through Pre-Calculus, by reading the textbook, doing sample problems, and then doing the assignment. He did quite well, and is doing fine in college this year. (One of his classes this semester is online, and he especially likes it because it is essentially like his homeschool work--a list of assignments to complete, plus resources to read/watch to learn how to complete them.)

My other 3 children need/needed more input from me, but this is just the way that son learns.