Menu

Spelling for K'er

MusicMouseTN

My dd is doing first grade work in grammar. We are progressing through OPGTR and have begun FLL, and she is doing really well. Is it too early to start a spelling program? What would work best with OPGTR, FLL and WWE (plan on starting that in the fall) - Rod & Staff or AAS? Any thoughts/suggestioins would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!! :)

My son started AAS during the 2nd half of K and loved it. He was only using OPGTR and ETC at the time and it went great with both of those.

We are now working through levels 2 and 3 for first grade while using FLL and WWE.

Edited to add - We started AAS in K because my son was constantly asking me how to spell words. He is a perfectionist and would not try to spell something unless he knew it was right.

Nope. Not to early at all. Some may say, Woh she's just a Kindergardener. That's okay. You know if she is ready.

For my 5yr old we'll be using AAS. I'm waiting for it in the mail as I type :>) I think she'll do just fine with it because she already sits and writes and spells words on her own. I find that my early spellers are my much better spellers. I remember having people tell me to wait until my oldest daughter was reading. WEll she didn't start really reading until about the age of 8/9. So that really set her back because she's my worst speller out of my four girls. My other three I started early and they are my best spellers by far.

We tried AAS, happily at first but Button started hating it no matter how I presented the lessons; we're now with the Modern Speller which I saw in somebody's siggie and wish we'd found earlier. If you like vintage things (stories, I mean, not decor ;)) you might like it -- we use the Free & Treadwell readers and some other old books, and this suits. Bonus: it's free. I print out the lessons using StartWrite, and Button copies them in the AM and does them from dictation in the PM.

It is certainly fine to start spelling in K. My kids learn most of their phonics through spelling, so I think learning spelling is very complimentary to learning reading.

I use Spelling Power and am very happy with it. There is only one book all the way up through high school level spelling. I use the modified approach for kids less than 2nd grade.

I went half-way through AAS 1 when dd was 4yo. She wasn't reading when we started and we stopped when she jumped into reading. We then completed the whole thing when she was in K. DS, in Kindergarten, has been word building for the whole school year and we've just started AAS. He's not reading yet. For my kids spelling has been easier than reading so that's how we started. You could always try, and if she isn't getting it just stop and try again next year.