Menu

Anyone have pet insurance?

Having just dropped many more hundreds than we could really afford for our cat's final illness after years of prescription food and other treatment for a different illness, I'm considering pet insurance for our next cat (whenever we can afford to get one). Has anyone had any experience with this or recommendations?

ETA: In a bit of a spin-off of the "adopt from the pound" thread, all of our animals have either found us or come from the humane society, so I'm not talking about likely needing something for a pure-bred or registered cat, if that makes a difference. We will be highly unlikely to know the genetic background of any cat we adopt.

Edited by KarenNC

We are 'expecting' a puppy (litter due in February!). We WILL be getting pet insurance. My vet takes several different ones-- if you have a vet you like make sure they accept whatever you choose!

We spend $$$$ on our last dog-- his purchase price (from well known breeder) neutering, bloat (he got into the trash and ate rib bones) and his cancer dx. He was only 3 when we lost him... Pet insurance would have saved us a few thousand!!! and only cost a few hundred.

DH and I have talked and we WILL be getting it for our next dog-- with our odds we will then NEVER have to use it... (hopefully).

We are 'expecting' a puppy (litter due in February!). We WILL be getting pet insurance. My vet takes several different ones-- if you have a vet you like make sure they accept whatever you choose!

We spend $$$$ on our last dog-- his purchase price (from well known breeder) neutering, bloat (he got into the trash and ate rib bones) and his cancer dx. He was only 3 when we lost him... Pet insurance would have saved us a few thousand!!! and only cost a few hundred.

DH and I have talked and we WILL be getting it for our next dog-- with our odds we will then NEVER have to use it... (hopefully).

Honestly, that's what I'd expect, in terms of major medical (since that's the way my life goes). Given how expensive just general well visits, kitten expenses including spaying/neutering, and other recommended things just to keep the animal healthy add up really quickly, especially if we are considering two kittens.

I've now hopefully used up my lifetime quota of pets with undiagnosable expensive illness (died at age 3, multiple hundred dollars over several weeks back and forth to vvv vet), thyroid condition (expensive diagnostic tests, regular monitoring tests, developed at age 14, daily medication, boarding if we were gone overnight, had to be put down a year later due to cancer), seizures (expensive tests, boarding if gone overnight, twice a year expensive bloodwork to check levels, daily medication from ages 12-16 when he had to be put down after kidney failure--another expensive test) and FLUTI (expensive tests, 3 expensive crises needing catheterization, prescription food from age about 3 until he had to be put down at age 12 yesterday---hugely expensive round at emergency vet and our vet that turned out to be congestive heart failure and cancer---all this in addition to his trying to eat mildewcide at age 1 and an expensive round at the emergency vet). These were all animals we got from the humane society or found us, so there wasn't a breeder fee involved---and those are supposed to have fewer issues than purebreds!

We do not have it for any of our current dogs or cat, but I'd be interested in hearing what companies folks are using. I think it would be a good idea to at least look into it. We have two dogs and one cat (not counting the trap/neuter/release feral colony of cats that we relocated here last year...however, they are unfortunately on their own, because they're too darn smart to get trapped again after the first time).

I do have insurance on my horse, but since she's worth more than our cars, that's a whole 'nother ball game. It's also not like pet insurance (which I gather works kinda like human health insurance), it's more a major medical/mortality type policy. It only kicks in in the event of life-threatening injury or illness or actual death.

I did for about 2 years....and the last change in it that I made (took a different level policy because didn't need all coverage) didn't pay anything on our bill so I cancelled it....it's good when you need it as long as you have the right coverage....

That's part of my question--figuring out what level is reasonable.

I would urge you to research the companies and policies very carefully. This topic just cropped up on my purebred email list which is populated by folks who have our very large breed. The general consensus seems to be that it's not worth it. Coverage for anythign that can be construed as a pre-existing condition is not generally given. These can be anything orthopedic related to malformations (hip dysplasia, even arthritis!) Cancer is always a big threat, and is not covered by most policies unless you pay for the cancer rider. Even then, apparently coverage is not always guaranteed.

Most people who were taking part in the discussion either researched and opted not to purchase (this was the case with us,) dropped their policies, or didn't renew after the death of the covered animal. Instead, the general feeling was that it's better to have a separate savings account for vet emergencies, and pay the same amount into it every month that you would if you were paying for an insurance policy. A few had coverage and were moderatly satisfied with it.

Research seems to be key.

astrid

We have it for our cow, horse, and one of our cats, but not for our goat or the other cat. We don't buy it until a need arises.

How does this work? Horse gets sick, you call the insurance company at 1:35 pm, purchase the policy, then call the vet at 1:45 pm? I've never heard of this...... I always thought you purchased the policy, paid monthly installments and then used it if/when the need arose. No? I'm not sure how this would work?

astrid

I tried pet insurance in the past but didn't really find it to be worth the money so I ended up canceling and creating my own 'insurance' fund and contributing to it when I had some extra cash. I also signed up with a vet discount plan which costs less than ten dollars/month to cover my lab for a year. The one I have is called 'Pet Assure' and I'm satisfied so far. Combining this with my rainy day fund helped me save a ton! Good luck in your search!