Menu

**Please** help me think of a name for a new co-op we are trying to start.

A friend and I are in the planning stages to start a co-op this coming fall. I say co-op b/c it's the closest thing we can currently think to call it. When it is fully developed it will not be a co-op in the truest sense as we intend to provide the option for parents to drop off if they are willing to pay a higher fee.

Our co-op (for lack of a better defining term yet) will meet 2 days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. It will be in the afternoons from 12-4. We will provide history, science, music and art. My friend and I have found that we feel confident in our ability to do the core subjects at home (core being mainly the 3 R's) but we have increasingly found it hard to get all these extra subjects in - the subjects that often make homeschooling...or education in general...the most fun! As we have talked with other moms we have found several that feel similarly.

Now to think of a name. There are other co-ops in our area that all use acronyms so we wanted to do something different to stand out. There is a new University Model School starting using the letters CCCA so we wanted to avoid letters as well.

I was thinking of using a Latin word and have searched and searched but have not found anything that has really jumped out. The mission statement for our group will include the fact that we want to partner with parents who are already doing a solid core at home to expand/broaden/enrich their family's homeschool experience to include a wider range of subjects done in community and systematically.

We also plan to do one optional field trip a month on Fridays that will correlate with what we are learning in one of our subjects as well. Ultimately, we would also love to start a mom's bookclub to work through SWB's The Well Educated Mind as well. Again this would be optional. Our goal is to really enrich the whole family's experience in homeschooling to make it as rich as it can be.

Okay I hope I have given enough background to spark someone's creative juices. My brain is so mired in the details of how this will all work and play out that I absolutely cannot think of anything.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Jennefer@SSA

Edo.....Put forth to give out

Edoceo...to instruct thoroughly

Electus....Chosen or select

Duci...lead or direct

Or if you want something else...choose a reference from a book...

Gateway

Walden

Rivendell

Lion's gate

Best wishes to your adventure!

Love the idea of a reference from a book...hadn't gone that route in my mind yet. Thanks!

I was part of a co-op that later (after our family moved) became Strong Oaks Academy based on Isa 61:3, which they use as their theme verse.

I love that! We have debated if we want "Academy" in our name. One of the reasons we think no is because we are not teaching "core" subjects and academy to me might imply a full school/curricula. But I love "Strong Oaks" and I love the scripture inspired it!

We are thinking of:

Gratia - (Latin for grace). It would imply we are faith based and one of our goals is to be a blessing/grace to families in our community by sharing the load and taking 4 subjects off their plate.

or

Altum - (Latin for high or deep). I love this because we are trying to take families further (aka higher or deeper) than we can go often go alone.

What do you ladies/gentlemen think? Do either of those strike a chord?

We used "Trivium Cooperative Academy" (TCA) Because I wanted the hint of "Classical" without it being IN the name. I love "Veritas" because of "Truth"

What I wanted to do when I named our Co-op, is to have something that wasn't "embarrassing" for my son to say he goes to... And a decent meaning :) I also wanted to not name a specific city, because I wanted people from all over to feel "included"... ( I thought about this because of church.... I always felt a bit like someone "left out" when the church you go to is a specific city... and you live out of that city...)

You want something that people can potentially spell, even if they don't know Latin. :) Something that is "recognizable" so that when people hear of it, they don't have to "try to remember" too hard... to remember it.

And I like "Academy" because of the definition. To me it sounded "better" than School... or just "Co-op" ;)

There ya go!! I'd join you!! :) And I might just pay extra to drop him off ;)

We used "Trivium Cooperative Academy" (TCA) Because I wanted the hint of "Classical" without it being IN the name. I love "Veritas" because of "Truth"

What I wanted to do when I named our Co-op, is to have something that wasn't "embarrassing" for my son to say he goes to... And a decent meaning :) I also wanted to not name a specific city, because I wanted people from all over to feel "included"... ( I thought about this because of church.... I always felt a bit like someone "left out" when the church you go to is a specific city... and you live out of that city...)

You want something that people can potentially spell, even if they don't know Latin. :) Something that is "recognizable" so that when people hear of it, they don't have to "try to remember" too hard... to remember it.

And I like "Academy" because of the definition. To me it sounded "better" than School... or just "Co-op" ;)

There ya go!! I'd join you!! :) And I might just pay extra to drop him off ;)

Thanks for the encouragement! I love all your thoughts about what to consider when choosing a name, too. All your points are really valid and excellent.

There's a program around here that offers enrichment courses and is called . . .

Georgia Enrichment Program for Homeschoolers. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe you could just be Gratia Enrichment School or Altum Homeschool Cooperative. Or something like that.