Menu

Sunflower house

I live in a big city so no deer, but I have squirrels, racoons, gophers, moles possums & the occasional skunk. Not to mention the field mice & rats (shudder.) We have toads, lizards & salamanders. Plus endless birds; crows, doves, chickadees, and egrets (these don't come into my yard.) All the butterflies, bugs & spiders you could ask for. In the field across the street there are foxes and we have even seen coyote.

Add to this my cats & dog and you could say it is wild kingdom out there.

I don't know what would eat a sunflower house.

Amber in SJ

Yes.

Are they just stinking adorable? Absolutely.

However....

Problematic. Bees once the flower heads bloom. Kids + Bees=BAD

Squirrels eat the flower heads off and leave doo doo all over the place.

Conclusion?

cute idea but not the fairytale they make them out to be....

We did once, and they kids STILL talk about it years later. They loved it. I may do it again this summer since we'll be back where we can. Just dig a trench in the shape you want it, then load the trench up with seeds. If you over plant, you'll have a better chance of it surviving hungry birds and squirrels.

I could never get a whole house to survive.

It helps to start them indoors or by wintersowing, but eventually something ate most of mine. Other years I couldn't get more than one to survive.

The best year (2 years ago) I transplanted the three plants closer together and had tiny little lean-to tied together with nylon. The youngest loved it.