Menu

Rosetta Stone Users

Hedgehogs4

Oh, I am about to pull my hair out. The speech recognition software is so screwed up--Nothing I try seems to work. My son has the same difficulty. We try changing the settings (male / female, under 14, etc.) but the thing will sit there and bleep at us when we haven't said ANYTHING, over, and over and over. Then sometimes it will pass your "response" when you haven't said anything. It is anything but simple and we end up feeling angry after every lesson.

I like the concept--It is good reinforcement for the curriculum and class we are already using, but this is making me insane. Is there anyone else there who has had this problem and resolved it?

We have the same problem, it is extremely annoying, especially after you pay so much for the program! I am wondering if it's something to do with the microphone, because sometimes when we reset the microphone by going back into the setup and doing that "1-2-3" bit again-it is enough to get it going again. We also have our speech recognition set on the easiest level. I wish I had a better answer. We haven't tried it for a few weeks, it got so annoying. I guess I'm going to have to call the company if it keeps up.

When you do the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. (do it every time you start), make sure there are no noises around or it would be distorted. When my baby started making noises as ds was doing 1, 2, 3.. it wouldn't work that day and it was a bit frustrating for him. We don't have that problem too much anymore. That said, it is fine tuned. I speak Spanish fluently, and if ds doesn't get it quite right, it won't work. It's a great program.

I worked with it for a while longer today, and I was able to get the program to cooperate a little better. Bottom line is you MUST pronounce it correctly! Since my ds10's pronunciation is pretty awful, I'm guessing that it really dislikes his attempts.

It also worked better for me when I set it on "male, under 14" rather than adult female. :tongue_smilie: I guess I sound like a boy whose voice hasn't changed yet...which is basically a woman's voice so go figure.

I will have him continue the attempts, but after 3-4 tries let him skip the item. If you uncheck the voice recognition box, the program blows by each item with no time to practice the pronunciation exercises. It goes way too fast.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't assume the pronunciation is necessarily wrong. When I complained, my native Polish speaking partner tried it and kept getting told that she wasn't pronouncing things correctly either!

There's too much variation in human speech and the RS software isn't there yet. A computer can't really make up for a native speaker saying "yes, that's right..."

We had problems initially, but I carefully inspected our headset and found loose wiring near the plug. The insulation around the wire was also bad, o if the kids fidgeted at all (and whose don't?) during setup or speaking, it was a disaster. As the wires became looser, the problems got worse.

We replaced the headset with one by Logitech, a nice sturdy model (more comfortable, too!) and the problems stopped. I even got to bump up the recognition difficulty off of the easiest setting.

Now it easily accepts pronunciation (if reasonable; I have enough experience in German to know) from DS8, DS11, DH, and I.

We rarely have problems. When we have had, we fixed it by lowering the mic input level, getting rid of background noise like babbling babies, or switching mics. It helps to diagnose if you try the feature where you can record your voice and play it back, seeing the waveform. We've found a few times that the mic level was too high that way, or the kid was just talking too loud.

One other thing, which I am constantly having to tell my son: wait for the ding! If you start talking before the ding, it won't get your full answer.

Don't assume the pronunciation is necessarily wrong. When I complained, my native Polish speaking partner tried it and kept getting told that she wasn't pronouncing things correctly either!

There's too much variation in human speech and the RS software isn't there yet. A computer can't really make up for a native speaker saying "yes, that's right..."

I had a similar problem with German. I really think there are just too many variations among tone and accent for this to be a useful tool. Not something to get super wrapped up about, anyway.

We had problems initially, but I carefully inspected our headset and found loose wiring near the plug. The insulation around the wire was also bad, o if the kids fidgeted at all (and whose don't?) during setup or speaking, it was a disaster. As the wires became looser, the problems got worse.

:iagree:

We had issues with the headset too. My daughter complained for a week before I looked into it and the wires were loose. Bought a new headset and things are working better

THANK YOU. I think we will go with a new headset. I did most of the things that you ladies suggested here, and there was definite improvement, but every once in a while it was still glitch-y. Glad to hear that many of you were able to work through the troubles.

We had problems initially too. I called Rosetta Stone and they had me change a couple of settings. We also had to get a USB digital headphones because we had analog to start with. We've never had a problem since. DD uses a webcam, which supposedly isn't suppose to work well but she has no problems.

I use a webcam with no problems, but couldn't get it to work for dd6, so we just skip it. We are using the language (Hebrew) in other ways, so no biggie. Even without the mic, my ds4 gets lots of speech practice - he loves to stand behind dd when she works and repeat all the words and sentences!