Menu

Draw Write Now / Drawing Through History

Pen

My ds had a couple of the Draw Write Now books. I'll be honest, I would just consider them something fun that he can just have to play with. I wouldn't consider it a complete art or handwriting/writing program---same as I wouldn't consider Mad Libs a complete grammar program. But Mad Libs are fun and some incidental learning can take place, same with DWN.

We have all the "Draw and write through History" books. DS has really enjoyed linking art in with what we are learning in history and they are very doable for non-artistic kids. We started using them when he was seven and they were a bit of a stretch at that point but I think we will probably use them again in our next cycle too as he will get more out of them the second time round. It is great to look back and see how his drawings have improved over time.

We have used both. DWN is more simplistic and caters more to younger children, although older children will enjoy too. We didn't do the handwriting portions of it. The girls LOVED the DWN series.

We are doing Draw and Write Through History now, and the girls love it too. It was a stretch for our 7yo, but her drawings have dramatically changed after using this, even with just everyday drawing. It is more detailed and the drawings look more realistic with this set. I cannot believe some of the drawings she turns out after using it. This series is in steps, sometimes frustrating for me and the girls, as there is a lot of erasing after finding the form of something. It also teaches how to shade and combine different colors to get a more 3D effect, which has been helpful and opened up something in the girls to allow them to see colors and depth.

Anyhow, we love them both. I am using the animal sets of Draw, Write, Now next year for science and the Draw and Write Through History for medieval history too! After we're done with these, we're going to use Mark Kistler's Draw Squad.

I love to draw, can you tell? I do all of these drawings with them, which encourages them greatly as they can see what techniques I use, what order I do things in, etc.

I've used Draw and Write Through History. When our core history program (MFW) assigns a notebooking page, we use the DWTH book for instructions to draw a picture. Amazing how many of the assignments match up like that. I like giving my children practice reading cursive, so that part is nice. At the end of sections, it has a sample notebooking writing summary in cursive. Can be copywork, or model for your own writing, or as we do -- just to practice reading in cursive. It's not a history text.

Started using the series when middle child was about 5th grade age.

-crystal

Just an FYI, Drawing Through History is not secular.

I see from title that the first one is largely Old Testament oriented. Are the ones for Ancient Greece/Rome, Middle Ages, etc. also not secular? What sort of secular view showing in what way? And is there a non-secular slant also on the Native American one for the Draw Write Now part?

I see from title that the first one is largely Old Testament oriented. Are the ones for Ancient Greece/Rome, Middle Ages, etc. also not secular? What sort of secular view showing in what way? And is there a non-secular slant also on the Native American one for the Draw Write Now part?

I don't have the book about patriots and pioneers.

I have Draw and Write through History, "Napoleon to Lady Liberty" and "Vikings Middle Ages and Renaissance". They seem secular to me. It mentions the impact of Christianity on the Vikings. But.. that's it.

Creation to Jonah - Old Testament. so that's not secular.

Ancient Greece and Rome: mention of Nebuchadnezzar with Babylon

Parthenon - secular

Greek solider....

Lighthouse at Alexandria..

ok in Rome, there is mention in 2 paragraphs of Jesus and it's clear that's written by Christians. Those paragraphs can be ignored while you draw the Colosseum, gladiators, and lions. no drawings related to birth/life/death of Jesus. just mention of major historical figure and why the dates change and 2 paragraphs to sum up the author's Christian beliefs that he was more than just a person.

hope that helps.

-crystal