Menu

Undecided between Phonics Pathways and Explode the Code

sagira

My dds4 is going to join us in her K year this Fall. She's turning 5 in late July, and although she recognizes some three-letter words, I wouldn't say she's reading yet (although her Pre-K teacher seems to think so - she goes to VPK three hours a day at a Montessori).

This child enjoys writing, and I was wondering which program would be better for her- Phonics Pathways or Explode the Code. I read some reviews, but I'm sto undecided. Can anyone help me?

I'm not looking for a barrel of fun. All I want is a solid, proven phonics system that will help her with her reading and spelling and take her to the next level. A plus would be that she doesn't mind doing it. I think both programs are reasonable, and a plus for PP is that I can use it as a refresher for ds8 as an aid to his spelling, but I imagine I can do the same with ETC.

Help, please :)

we actually do both.

I feel PP is more of "taking it in" and ETC is more of an "output". there is a lot of writing in ETC and my son, 6 last Nov, gets frustrated. I see ETC as a big repeatitve, BUT since he has not commented on that i feel he must need the reps -- yk?

so I guess i am not much help

We love using both here too. However, if cost were an issue I would choose Phonics Pathways first. That book is so versatile. There are recommendations for games, copywork, and for learning the spelling rules. For the last two dc I've used it with, we have come up with atleast a dozen different ways to implement the lessons using our own ideas.

BUT, if you could get both I would!

We do both around here. ETC 1-8 (leaving 4 for last - taking about 3 years to do all the books) along w/ PP. We don't coordiante the PP & ETC, just 1-3 ETC pages/ day and 1-2 PP pages/day (no writing, just reading).

I think the PP can go at a slightly quicker pace, letting you read bigger words at a quicker pace than if you were doing just ETC. While I think the ETC reinforces and helps build in the writing and starting w/ some spelling. My kids love the silliness of the ETC books and I like the ease of both the PP & ETC.

Both of my boys are good to excellent readers. HTH.

(I have PP for sale here if you're interested - :001_smile: - http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320281&highlight=pathways )

Thanks, everyone! Dd is only going to be 5, and although she likes writing I don't want to tire or frustrate her. She'll be doing writing in penmanship and math daily already. The first 21 lessons we'll be doing Tanglewood Phonics, which is a free phonics program that was a hit with ds a few years back when he started to read. It's on tanglewoodeducation.com.

However, back then we did Spectrum Phonics and I wasn't impressed. It would be very beneficial for ds to review his spelling as well.

Edited by sagira

You might want to download Funnix while it's free (first 2 weeks in Feb).

I taught reading with 100EL when my dd's were 5yo. That was pretty much all my eldest needed (now a great speller at 8), but my now 6yo needed more. I got ETC, PP and RP, and MCP Plaid. If I had to choose, I would go for MCP Plaid and Reading Pathways first, PP and RP second, and ETC 3rd, just because MCP and PP are more variety of activities/worksheets and more colorful.