Menu

Latin teachers needed

Florida Virtual School has just closed their Latin program because they have too many students trying to register and not enough teachers! :001_huh:

My daughter is wrapping up Latin I and needs to register for Latin II by fall. We need a Latin teacher!! If you know any Latin teachers that might be interested in teaching at FLVS please let them know the school is hiring. :D:D:D

Off to prepare my back-up plan. :glare:

Anyone have opinions on Lukeion's Latin II course? Or would she need to start again at Latin I? (She certainly won't want to hear that.)

I've taught Latin for years to my own and other homeschooled dc, but I've never earned a degree or certification that says I can teach Latin, so I can't help. :tongue_smilie:

I'm outsourcing most of oldest dd's courses next year, and we are going with Lukeion. I spent a few hours chatting with them at the convention and have positive reviews from several current students.

Edited by angela in ohio

Florida Virtual School has just closed their Latin program because they have too many students trying to register and not enough teachers! :001_huh:

My daughter is wrapping up Latin I and needs to register for Latin II by fall. We need a Latin teacher!! If you know any Latin teachers that might be interested in teaching at FLVS please let them know the school is hiring. :D:D:D

Off to prepare my back-up plan. :glare:

Anyone have opinions on Lukeion's Latin II course? Or would she need to start again at Latin I? (She certainly won't want to hear that.)

Wow really? They closed the whole program?? I have a friend whose daughter is taking Latin through FLVS and she's going to be very disappointed. When did this happen?

Wow really? They closed the whole program?? I have a friend whose daughter is taking Latin through FLVS and she's going to be very disappointed. When did this happen?

It just happened. They have to be able to get the students into a class within a certain time frame. Last fall my dd had been waiting three weeks to be placed in a class and I started to get apology emails and assurances that she would be placed within the week. (And I hadn't even asked.) So they must be under pressure to place students within a two to three week window. That does make sense since most of their kids are on a public school schedule. The woman I spoke to said they would be happy to re-open the program if they could get teachers.

I'm outsourcing most of oldest dd's courses next year, and we are going with Lukeion. I spent a few hours chatting with them at the convention and have positive reviews from several current students.

Thanks Angela. I had already looked into their Greek classes and liked what I heard. And they have a placement test to see if dd could go right into Latin II, so I think I have my back-up plan. :)

It just happened. They have to be able to get the students into a class within a certain time frame. Last fall my dd had been waiting three weeks to be placed in a class and I started to get apology emails and assurances that she would be placed within the week. (And I hadn't even asked.) So they must be under pressure to place students within a two to three week window. That does make sense since most of their kids are on a public school schedule. The woman I spoke to said they would be happy to re-open the program if they could get teachers.

So even students who are currently enrolled will be kicked out?

You asked about Lukeion, my son just started his first class with them today. He seemed to think the class was 'ok'. Knowing he's a 14yo of the male gender, that is the best endorsement one can hope for!!! That means he loves it!

He's starting in 1B. I don't know what Latin your daughter learned at FVS, but Lukeion won't let you register in any level other than the first entry level if you can't pass the entrance exam. And then, Wheelock vocabulary might not be the same as what your daughter learned, but the transfer is definitely feasible.