Menu

Need to get caught up in Math

We are using Math-U-See. I took Dd11, 6th grade, back to multiplication (gamma) and division (delta). She's already finished with the multiplication and will finish the division in a week or two. She still doesn't like math, but she can do it. It has been a huge help to us! As we started each book I gave her the unit tests as sort of a pre-test. We started at the point that she didn't pass the tests. I'm really hoping to get through a large portion of the epsilon book before ITBS. (I pulled her from PS due to incredibly low ITBS math computation scores.)

Thank you for the ideas. My son hated Math U See, I had thought about that but don't want to go back down that road..I don't think. He is older now though...hmmm.........

Math Mammoth would be a "cheaper choice" ...would it be good for reinforcing those topics?

Thanks for the ideas...checking them out!

Kim

Thank you for the ideas. My son hated Math U See, I had thought about that but don't want to go back down that road..I don't think. He is older now though...

Kim

I wasn't sure it would work for us. We only use the workbooks. Manipulatives and the videos drive both my kids batty. We stuck with it because it was too expensive to switch. It is now working for us well.

I'll be interested in seeing what you find that works for you.

I've spent the last ~3 months getting my daughter caught up in math using Math Mammoth. I started by giving her the placement test I thought would be appropriate (that ended up being the end-of-level 3 test). Based on the results of the placement test, I then printed out the level 2 and level 3 worksheets in the areas she was struggling with. These all came with the free sample materials I got from the Math Mammoth website, I didn't pay I dime for them. After a couple of weeks working on specific topics, we started with MM 4A. With each lesson, if it was too much, I went back and found the 3rd or even 2nd grade worksheets that covered that same topic, more simply. We worked through those, then went back to the 4A lesson. It took us a *long* time to get through the first chapter, because in addition to filling in holes and learning concepts that had never been learned, she was having to relearn how to learn math - it's supposed to be challenging, it's ok to struggle, it's ok to get something wrong as long as you keep working at it. It took a few weeks before every math lesson didn't involve tears.

But now, only 3 months later, she's like a new girl! We still work together on MM, and she still struggles at times, but she struggles willingly with a new determination to "get it". She does TT5 on her own with no trouble when I'm not around to help with MM. We do LOF for fun, giggles, and playfulness, and that has helped a lot with the attitude change.

So yes, I think you can catch up using MM in a relatively short time. Good luck :grouphug:

Okay...one thing I was "thinking" about, please let me know what you think. I have 2 kids in Teaching textbooks, which they love! However..both of these I don't feel had a "good foundation" in Math (understanding math facts etc..)

Would it be terrible to use math u see for basic understanding, have them go through it quick, along w/ TT since they love it so much or just go w/ the MM worksheets. I would love for them to "see" math and "get it" but don't want to "go back" ....

Kim

IMO, you should do whatever it takes to a) fill in the holes, and b) keep them feeling positive and that they are moving forward. So yeah, if they are having a good experience with TT, let them keep going with it. I consider MM our main math program, but we use TT as a supplement, because DD likes it, it gives her variety, and it's something she can do on her own when I'm not available to help her. I really don't like it, because I find the organization chaotic and illogical, and it's too spiral, but it provides her with variety and a review, and she wants to do it. If she ever stopped wanting to use it, I wouldn't push it.

I'm not familiar with Math u see so can't comment on whether it or MM would be better for filling in the holes . . .

Yeah..I like TT, mainly because they like it and do well....I thought about MUS because they have books and not "grade levels" and I like how he teaches math.

My son doesn't really like to "think about math problems" though...he wants to just get it done. So...do I let him do TT and just get him doing math drills or MM drills to get him quick or should I go back to teach more of an understanding?

Sorry if I am beating this to death, I don't mean to just need it clear it up in my mind, I need lots of repitition till it sinks in or something clicks and says "yes...that is the answer"!

I am dedicating the next year to getting "caught up" and working on our study skills, getting more organized and structured so...what I get I am sticking with regardless, this is my goal for the next year. I have changed programs too much.

I am getting ready to purchase all my school stuff so....trying to get this right in my mind, the way we want to go..

Thank you all for your help and please forgive me if I repeat myself. I get to thinking "yes...this sounds great", then I think of a reason it might not work :tongue_smilie:

Hi,

I have decided to take a year and work on getting my oldest son caught up in math. If you had a year to really work on moving up a few grades in what would you used to help really cement multiplication and division?

Kim

In November 2010 my dd was very behind in math (my fault due to a late start, a program that was a bad fit, switching around, etc.). What we did was go through any topics of Math Mammoth LightBlue levels 1 - 3 that she didn't have mastered. Then she did part of level 4. After that we switched to Christian Light Education level 500. She is now in level 600 and will finish it by the end of the school year. She will be caught up by the end of this school year and her understanding has improved drastically. In about a year and a half of work she'll have come up 3-4 grade levels in math understanding.

We had poor experiences with MUS and Teaching Textbooks. Neither helped her understand math. MM and CLE have been a lot better for her and they are extremely easy for me to use as the teacher.