Menu

Surprise benefit to Public School!

I think this has to do with being in the South, but now when I ask my kids to do something they respond with, "Yes, Ma'am." When we are discussing something and I ask a question I get "Yes or No, Ma'am." It is becoming second nature to them and I am plesantly surprised. It has made a huge difference in our family atmosphere and has cut the whining down a lot.

Who would have thunk? :D ( I am a Northerner who squirms at the idea of addressing someone as "Ma'am")

Hehe, I'm from the north, so saying ma'am is just for old people in my mind. A friend of mine moved up here from Louisiana when she was in middle school and her plus her two brothers got sent to the principal's office their first day in school because the teachers thought they were being snarky saying "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am".

I hate being called ma'am! I'm a northerner and when we first moved down here to LA, I was offended when I got called ma'am at the store. In my mind that's reserved for old people. I learned to deal with it though. But when my dd decided to go to high school, she started saying yes ma'am to me and it drives me nuts. I am her mom not ma'am. It's even an actual law here that the kids must say yes ma'am and yes sir to the teachers at school. :001_huh:

Hehe, I'm from the north, so saying ma'am is just for old people in my mind. A friend of mine moved up here from Louisiana when she was in middle school and her plus her two brothers got sent to the principal's office their first day in school because the teachers thought they were being snarky saying "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am".

But, it is a law in Louisiana that kids can be sent to the prinicpal's office for only saying "yes" or "no" and not including "ma'am" or "sir". My aunt (who is from Kansas) teaches in Louisiana and it drives her crazy to be called "ma'am"

When we lived in a southern culture we knew kids who "yes, Ma'am'd" thier Mommas left and right. They were also sneaking out of their windows at night to do drugs with their boyfriends.

Form doesn't always = content.

Oh absolutely but that's with or without the Ma'am/Sir.