Menu

weird potty training question

My son was a breeze. He was fully trained by 2 years old. No issues. I let him run naked one day, he peed on his leg, decided that was gross,and used the potty from then on. Of course I chalked that up to my brilliant parenting :lol:.

so, dd is going to be 2 in two weeks. She is clueless about the potty. Has no idea what I'm talking about. She's a late talker, and although she has excellent fine motor skills she seems to be lacking the gross motor skills to sit on the potty....she tries to climb in it then sit down, or backs up and misses it, etc. How on earth can I teach her ot use the potty if she can't sit on it????? If I put her on it she is fine, and we sing the potty song I made up, and she looks interested, but doesn't go. If I leave her naked like her brother she will not be able to get on the potty, I don't think. I have 3 potties! I don't know that the answer is another one, but the bigger baby bjorn looks like it might be easier to get on and off.

Do I just keep putting off starting this process? When would I start? I don't want to wait until she is into the defiant stage, as I think that makes it harder. Any thoughts?

Each child is different when it comes to potty training, at least in my experience and you are finding that out for yourself. My sil once made a comment that there was no good reason for children not be potty trained by 2. She had to eat her words when her 3rd child was 4ish before she was potty trained.

I did use the smaller Baby Bjorn seat and dd liked that as she was afraid of the big potty. Once she wasn't afraid, she didn't use the Bjorn. That was a nice potty to have in the car when we were away from home.

Are your other seats separate potty chairs, or do they attach to the toilet seat? If they are separate, I don't know if it's worth investing in another seat.

Plus, I think the rule is you only get one child whose a breeze to potty train!

Good luck!

They are separate. I have the small Bjorn one, the froggy one, and a 3 piece princess one she just takes apart.

a couple of mine didn't have the physical coordination to train until they were just around 3. A couple of others were stubborn and decided not to train until 3. For us, that was the magic age -- they were all within a few weeks or days of their third birthdays. Sounds like you were lucky with your first, but your second may just need some more growing time.

Does she watch videos? My daughter pretty much trained her self at 19 months watching that movie the potty movie there is one for boys and one for girls. It is based on that old book.

She got that video for something and we got her the actual potty just like the one in the little cartoon. She watched it for a few days and that was it!

Personally, I'd put her on the potty periodically and let her practice on her own too. I know my philosophy is different from some, but to me, the point is going in the potty, regardless of how you got onto the potty.

I could go on all day with all the things I did to increase the likelihood that they peed/pood while on the potty. Initially I said "pssss" to suggest it, I went potty myself at the same time as they were sitting, I put them on when they were most likely to go, etc. For a while, my kids had their morning and after-nap snacks/milk while sitting on the potty. I also used modest treats once they had the ability to control the potty situation. Call me weird, but my kids were out of diapers day & night at age 1.5, so at least some of it worked.