Menu

How easy is it to set up an external hard drive?

For all 3 of your home computers?

I need to get one that can do PC and Mac.

Brand?

Size?

Suggestions?

We just got our PC back today! Yippie! It is fixed. Now I need to see about backing it up so that when this happens again we can just replace the computer and download our files back on as this computer is older.

Thanks,

Dawn

I don't have brand suggestions but it is EASY. The ones we have are portable and plug into the computer via USB port, then I just save to that drive just like saving to anything else. Plug it in, copy the files from the computer, paste them into the external hard drive.

Or if I want to see/access something, same thing. I plug it in, the little menu asking what to do pops up and I choose "view files" or whatever and good to go.

We do not keep ours attached to the computer all the time but do a back-up once a month, or after any big event where we need to back up sooner (ie, tax files go on their automatically, vacation pictures, etc.). When we need it, we just plug the USB in.

The only problem I can forsee is moving the External from your PC to your Mac. My mom was trying to show me some pictures from her external hard drive that was formatted on her mac, and my pc would not read it, even with the proper drivers. Not sure if they are all like this, but you might have to get one for your PC and one for your Mac.